Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Walgreens fires Pharmacist who stopped armed robbery with his own firearm

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/artic...ws/4820927.txt

BENTON TOWNSHIP - A photograph of four children tucked in a thank-you card from a coworker reminds Jeremy Hoven he did the right thing.

But doing "the right thing" cost the night shift pharmacist his job at the Walgreens drugstore at Napier Avenue and M-139. The national pharmacy chain fired Hoven on Monday, eight days after he fired his handgun to foil an armed robbery and a potentially deadly hostage situation at the store.

"In my mind, I can look at myself in the mirror. I can lay my head down in bed and sleep. In my mind, I did what I had to do," said the 36-year-old Twin Cities-area resident.

The two masked gunmen fled after Hoven fired three or four shots from his revolver during the 4:30 a.m. incident May 8, a Sunday.

The card came from the family of a Walgreens manager who had been working that shift. Hoven, who spoke in measured, crisp tones, got a little emotional showing the card during an interview Tuesday at The Herald-Palladium.

He carried the card in a three-ring binder of notes, memos and news clippings about the incident.

Hoven's lawyer, Peter Kosick of St. Joseph, said he is studying whether to pursue a wrongful termination lawsuit.

Berrien County Prosecutor Arthur Cotter said he reviewed police reports and store security video. He said Hoven did nothing criminal.

"It's one of those difficult cases," Cotter said. "If you're Walgreens, what do you do? I'm sure their lawyers don't want people carrying guns in their store."

Still, he said, Hoven may have saved lives.

42 seconds

Cotter said he would not release store video images until there are arrests. But accounts offered by Hoven, Cotter and Benton Township police appear consistent.

The pharmacy is in the store's northwestern corner, and the main entrance is at the southeastern corner. The entrance is obscured from the pharmacy by shelves of merchandise.

Hoven said the only other workers in the store were the cashier and two managers, who were working overlapping shifts. There were no customers in the store.

Hoven said his first hint something was wrong was seeing a manager run into a storeroom on the building's west side. Seconds later he saw a man brandishing a handgun, guiding the second manager around the shelf at the northeast corner.

"The first thing I tried to do was dial 911 but I couldn't get it done," Hoven said. "Within seconds he was over the counter. And I'm looking at the wrong end of a 9-millimeter (gun). He was holding it gangster-style" - sideways.

The robber had jumped over the counter, leaving the manager in the aisle. The robber came within a few feet of Hoven.

Hoven said the only thing behind the attacker was a cinder block wall. Thus he pulled his gun and fired three or four shots.

"I was creating a safe zone for myself," he said.

The attacker tried to fire back, but his gun either malfunctioned or the safety had been left on, Hoven said.

The two gunmen ran out of the store.

There have been no arrests in the case, and police suspect the one gunman was wounded. However, Hoven said there was no blood on the floor.

Hoven said the drugstore cameras indicate 42 seconds elapsed from when the men entered and when they left.

"I was reacting out of fear, and the adrenaline was taking over. ... You could have probably taken my pulse from my breath because my heart was beating that much," he said.

Hoven said he handed over his gun and concealed weapons permit, a plastic-coated card, to the first police officer to arrive, a Berrien County Sheriff's deputy. Police are holding the gun pending further investigation.
    Last edited by SpiderGuard; May 19th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

Default Re: Walgreens fires Pharmacist who stopped armed robbery with his own firearm

I know it's department policy, but honestly, for what possible USEFUL reason do the police take a guy's gun in such an OBVIOUSLY non criminal act for?

And Walgreen's, you can suck it.

I'll be firing off an email to them tonight, telling them why they lost my business for life.
    Last edited by Valorius; May 19th, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Walgreens fires Pharmacist who stopped armed robbery with his own firearm

Great find................
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Monroe County)

My store would do the same thing. I can get a new job before a new life is how I see it.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: Walgreens fires Pharmacist who stopped armed robbery with his own firearm

ROSCO- AMEN to that way of thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Luzerne County)

Just sent my email to walgreens
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Philadelphia County)

Good find, no more walgreens for my family.

this is ridiculous what would management prefer three dead employees plus all the dope and money the thugs got away with?

(Montgomery County)

Well Walgreens just lost me as a customer.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PD25 View Post
    ROSCO- AMEN to that way of thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh that is at the top of my thoughts. Not my store but not far either.
    http://www.wfmz.com/lehighvalleynews...42/detail.html

If I would go out the back and get to my truck, I know AZ would st*t can me from the result but I would be alive.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast