Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Gun!

(Lehigh County)

Smile First Gun!

So I'm a self-admitted lurker who's done a whole lot of reading and who finally has finally got serious about getting a gun and trying out different handguns. I went out to Firing Line with a friend two days this week and tried out a bunch of different guns and calibers. First off, I'm hooked! Secondly, I'm 99.9% sure I found the gun I like, the Glock 19. It was just a match in heaven, shot nice and true, felt great in my hands, and was very comfortable with it. I tried out other similar ones like the XD and S&W M&P and they just didn't feel as good.

So now looking forward, I have a few questions that have been floating around in my inexperienced mind. So if I miss anything or you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.

1) What's a good place to buy said gun? I'm just looking for a trustworthy place to go where I can continue to spend my money.
    2) Ditto about a gun safe.
    3) About ammo, what should I get for the range? for self-defense/edc? Where should I get it?
    4)Getting my LTCF, I live in Lehigh County and have heard you need two references, most of mine live just blocks away in North Hampton County, any advice etc.
    5)Any courses, ranges besides Firing Line (although they have treated me great there) to where I can further my experience and training?

As always thanks and its a pleasure to be a part of this great community. And I'm sorry I know I should probably use the search function but I needed to get it all down in one place!

(Washington County)

Default Re: First Gun!

As for where to buy the gun and ammo, you need to decide if you want to buy at a local gun shop or online. Support the local shop or save money.

I have never seen gun or ammo prices at a local shop that came anywhere near the price of online. However you may have shops near you that are better. Sometimes Cabelas or Gander Mountain have specials on guns that are good deals. Gander Mountain just had Gen3 Glocks for $500 last week

I would search online and get a rough estimate of what they cost (consider $20-$40 for the transfer). And look for a place around you that will do firearm transfers.

Once you know the glock model you want just type it into google and click shopping on the left side to see who offers them.

budsgunshop.com / Impactguns.com / cheaperthandirt.com offer wide selections if you wanna look at other guns

Again, for ammo use http://ammoseek.com and http://gun-deals.com to find the cheapest ammo online.
    Any brass FMJ ammo will be fine for range use. Again, online blows away anything local in my experiance.

References for your LTCF arent a big deal, they ask for phone number and address, and they dont have to be in your county

Keep an eye on the Training Courses section on this forum for classes near you, and ask around the range where you shoot.
    Last edited by Saddlerocker; September 11th, 2011 at 04:56 PM.

(Bucks County)

Make a trip up to AF Boyers in Slatington. It's not far for you and they have great handgun prices. Last time I was there the Glock 26 was only 499.95. I bought a used Glock 26 there last year for $360.00. I bought it in May and called Glock and found out it was only 7 months old. I called before I went up and asked how much a new one was and the employee told me 499 but then told me about the used one that looked new. When I arrived the empoyee took a new one and the used one and broke both down to show me how clean it was. It appeared to be in like new condition. They are very helpfull to customers there. They also have bulk ammo very close to online prices.

I would call first and ask if he has a Glock 19 in stock and what the price is. Good luck to you and be safe.

The glock 19 is a wonderful choice,
    sjsufer

Federal Premium JHP 147gr is great for self-defense rounds. Whatever you do work-out to shoot, please do not shoot lead bullets. It can damage your Glock.

If you do plan on shooting at the range for a very significant amount of time, a box of cheap 9mm 115gr FMJ Herters is affordable to bring with you the glock eats them up!

Also, if you do plan on purchasing the Glock online, glockmeister is wonderful to work with and if you need any night sights they will install them for free and I highly recommend the 4th generation.

I am not quite sure which generation you shot, but it doesn't mean much and there are small differences.

(Lehigh County)

Congrats! While I'm not a Glock fan, I can't deny they're well built and enjoyable to shoot. It's a solid choice.

1) Tanner's Sports is about an hour from me (Lehigh county also) and it's the best shop I've been to. Lots of choices, very fair prices, and a courteous and helpful staff.

2) Not sure about gun safes.

3) JHP rounds are good for self-defense, FMJs for target practice (cheaper). If you're hard up for money, Winchester white box rounds from Walmart are very economic and have worked fine for me. American Eagles also; any gun store should have those.

4)Eh...I'll PM you.

5)The Easton Fish and Game Association is an outdoor club close to (or even in, maybe) Lehigh county. Membership is 60 dollars for a full year. Pistol, rifle, and .22LR ranges. You provide your own ammo, targets, eyes/ears etc so it's not quite as immediately convenient as a range, but it's ultimately cheaper and provides more options with its rifle range.

This is my first time attempting to give advice, so if I'm off about anything, someone else please slap me.

(Bucks County)

You are receiving some really good information here. Being new to the area I don't have much to add but this. After 40 years of hand gun experience my advise to you is to find and take safety classes and practice what you learn. Good luck in your first purchase and by the way, the G19 is a excellent choice.
    All statements are my own opinion and should be taken as such.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjsufer View Post
    So I'm a self-admitted lurker who's done a whole lot of reading and who finally has finally got serious about getting a gun and trying out different handguns. I went out to Firing Line with a friend two days this week and tried out a bunch of different guns and calibers. First off, I'm hooked! Secondly, I'm 99.9% sure I found the gun I like, the Glock 19. It was just a match in heaven, shot nice and true, felt great in my hands, and was very comfortable with it. I tried out other similar ones like the XD and S&W M&P and they just didn't feel as good.

So now looking forward, I have a few questions that have been floating around in my inexperienced mind. So if I miss anything or you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.

1) What's a good place to buy said gun? I'm just looking for a trustworthy place to go where I can continue to spend my money.
    2) Ditto about a gun safe.
    3) About ammo, what should I get for the range? for self-defense/edc? Where should I get it?
    4)Getting my LTCF, I live in Lehigh County and have heard you need two references, most of mine live just blocks away in North Hampton County, any advice etc.
    5)Any courses, ranges besides Firing Line (although they have treated me great there) to where I can further my experience and training?

As always thanks and its a pleasure to be a part of this great community. And I'm sorry I know I should probably use the search function but I needed to get it all down in one place!
    Don't forget to read up on the gun laws in Pa. You can check out the stickies and search threads on this forum for a pleathora of info. IMO knowing the law as well as saftey is very important.
    Good shooting and welcome to the forum.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Lehigh County)

Thank you everyone for all the great advice, I will definitely take the time to look around all the links when I get a chance, I highly doubt they would approve of me gun shopping at work so that'll have to wait!

Also if anyone is around tomorrow I'll be at the Firing Line around 1130ish shooting some more. (third time this week) I'm the stud with the red goatee and the really short girl going WTF did I get myself into. hahaha

Goodnight all
    S

(Northampton County)

If your looking at shopping on line I will not knock it I am a local ffl and do transfers for $20.00, BudsGunshop.com always has competitive prices. Frankly I shop online all the time, Bur as another poster said Boyers in Slatington has very good prices and it is an experience as well. nothing like walking into an old fashioned hardware store that has big and exotic game on the walls and frankly I believe they sell more guns than hardware in that place. Nice place.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Northampton County)

I highly recommend AF Boyers in Slatington. It was already mentioned here once, and it's a great place. Their prices are pretty much unbeatable and they're customer service is second to none. Just do yourself a favor and give them a call and take a ride up there. You won't regret it. Good luck and welcome to the sickness!
    "The Earth is for the living." -Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast