Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default From looks alone which one of these 1960s era revolvers do you prefer? (Colt vs S&W)

I’m not trying to open a debate about which is the better revolver or manufacturer. From these two examples alone I just want to see how my opinion stacks up to the rest of the forums. I’m simply asking which do you consider the better looking revolver? They are a 1964/65 Smith and Wesson model 29–2 44 magnum with 6.5” barrel and a 1969 Colt Python 357 with 6” barrel. For me it’s the Smith and Wesson. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by bripro; August 16th, 2019 at 02:40 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Bucks County)

Default Re: From looks alone which one of these 1960s era revolvers do you prefer? (Colt vs S

You said the Smith & Wesson? I second that.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: From looks alone which one of these 1960s era revolvers do you prefer? (Colt vs S

The barrel on the colt looks better, but everything else is more visually pleasing on the smith.

(Berks County)

In that era the Smith had a more "updated" look to it IMHO.

Subjective, of course.

(Chester County)

Both.

(Lancaster County)

I just think it’s funny how our own opinions, well at least my own opinion, changes. About 10 years ago if a wheel gun didn’t have a full under lug I thought it looked like it was missing something. That was even regardless of the barrel length. Somewhere between now and then I started preferring the half lug look. I still haven’t warmed up to the non shrouded ejector rod but who knows, 10 years ago I wanted to hang everything I could on my AR as well. I’ve gone completely full circle there as well.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Smile Re: From looks alone which one of these 1960s era revolvers do you prefer? (Colt vs S

I would bet the Action on the Colt is supreme even thought the S&W 29 was not bad at all. This is when handguns were really done by experienced gunsmiths working for the Gun mfgs .

(Lackawanna County)

I like the looks of the Smith better. It looks sleeker.

(Lancaster County)

The Colt particularly shines when cocking the hammer for a single action shot. And almost feels what the hammer is it connected to anything at all. It also has a much smoother double action pull than the Smith and Wesson but for single action shots they’re right on par with each other.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Left.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast