Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking about buying a H&R 1871 in 45-70, 32" bbl. I'd like to know more before I...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/89043
    Tanner's has one of these for $399 in stock and I'd like to know more about it before I buy it. How does it shoot, have you had any problems?

Seems like it would make a great tool for wild boar or bear hunting. If at some later date, I wanted to remove the irons and put a scope on it, how can it be done and how much will it cost?

I'm not interested in marlin 1895s or sharps models. Its an aesthetics buy for me, I like the look and the profile, price tag is attractive too. I know, it will look absurd with a scope on top of it. I just want to know if it can be done.

Any experiences good or bad that you have with one of these rifles will be greatly appreciated.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Thinking about buying a H&R 1871 in 45-70, 32" bbl. I'd like to know more before

You might check out the Single Shot forum at the 24 hr campfire. It's dedicated to single shots of all kinds.

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Hope this helps.

Dale

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Thinking about buying a H&R 1871 in 45-70, 32" bbl. I'd like to know more before

That model is called the Buffalo Classic. I have (2) of them. One is in the original 45-70 chambering, the other I reamed to 45-120.

They are excellent shooters. However the throat is rather short which prohibits the use of longer and heavier bullets over 405grs unless you give it a throat reaming.

The guns can handle #2 pressure loads(known as Levergun loads). But with the steel buttplate you may want to stick with Trapdoor loads.

The front site may be an issue. Sometimes a few taller front sights slip out the door, so you cant get enough elevation out of the rear sight - which requires replacing the front with a lower model. The gun is drilled and tapped for a scope base. Taking the rear sights off is straight forward. The front sight will have to be drifted off. You might want to get a dovetail blank filler to put up front once the sight has been removed. The costs of putting a scope on would be like any other gun, ...the cost of a base, rings, and scope.

graybeardoutdoors's forum is THE place for H&R guns. They took over H&R/NEF's public forum when the company shut down the pier support.

Here's my 45-120. My 45-70 I keep out at the farm.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 9th, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thanks for the link. I just leafed through the entire archive looking for threads concerning the buffalo classic. There doesn't seem to be one, but thanks for the pointer.

Thanks knight for the info. Good to know that installing a scope is such a straightforward operation. How are your groups out of the 45-70?

I'm hoping 32 Magnum might know more about these rifles, granted the're new production and not "real" H&Rs. I did learn that they can shoot modern ammo like remington core-lokts and winchesters. Being able to shoot modern factory ammo is a must, so thats good-to-go.

Time to see if Tanner's wants another P239 and one less Buffalo Classic... To be Continued...
    Last edited by SCBaldr; September 9th, 2011 at 09:03 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I bought one about two years ago and love it. I like to shoot single shot rifles, and this one packs a punch (steel butt plate) like Knight0334 said. Now I only shoot target with it, and have no problems with Remington 405 grain soft points. The big holes it puts on paper really show up nice. Good luck and hope you get it. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by muffler man View Post
    I bought one about two years ago and love it. I like to shoot single shot rifles, and this one packs a punch (steel butt plate) like Knight0334 said. Now I only shoot target with it, and have no problems with Remington 405 grain soft points. The big holes it puts on paper really show up nice. Good luck and hope you get it. Joe
    In over 40 years of shooting stuff, I've never owned a big bore rifle, and never even shot one enough to see if they group well. Not wanting to get one, but I would really like to know how it groups.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    Thanks for the link. I just leafed through the entire archive looking for threads concerning the buffalo classic. There doesn't seem to be one, but thanks for the pointer.

Thanks knight for the info. Good to know that installing a scope is such a straightforward operation. How are your groups out of the 45-70?

I'm hoping 32 Magnum might know more about these rifles, granted the're new production and not "real" H&Rs. I did learn that they can shoot modern ammo like remington core-lokts and winchesters. Being able to shoot modern factory ammo is a must, so thats good-to-go.

Time to see if Tanner's wants another P239 and one less Buffalo Classic... To be Continued...
    They are real H&R's. The Buffalo Classic has been made since the 1990's under (2) companies. The Pre-Marlin ownership and the Post-Marlin ownership(now owned by Remington's parent company). They are made on the SB2 receiver like all other H&R higher pressure rifle cartridges, however the BC's are case colored.

My BC and my 22" Handi 45-70 will shoot ragged 1 holes at 50 yrds using Winchester's Super-X 300gr JHP. At 100yards it'll shoot cloverleafs. ...with the factory iron sights. If you sight in the BC at 50yrds with the Winny 300gr JHP's, have it zero at 2" above center. It'll be at center at 100yrds.

This is the best place for H&R info: http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    In over 40 years of shooting stuff, I've never owned a big bore rifle, and never even shot one enough to see if they group well. Not wanting to get one, but I would really like to know how it groups.

Ragged 1 holes at 50yrds and cloverleafs at 100yrds using factory ammo with the OEM iron sights.

I use my 45-70 BC and my 45-120 BC as groundhog guns.

Tanner's opens at 10AM. Wish me luck. my next post may well be pics of the new Buffalo Classic and the target it shot.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

I use my 45-70 BC and my 45-120 BC as groundhog guns.
    Phew...Instantly ground groundhog.

Thanks for the reply.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast