Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

Default Open carry in the Williamsport area

Greetings all,

I am a proud gun owner from San Francisco, CA. A good friend of mine is currently in Williamsport, PA, dealing with some family issues; her sister is in the hospital with inoperable brain cancer, and her sister's estranged husband is attempting to mess with the family. The sister has custody of her 4-year-old son; the husband has visitation rights and there is a Protection from Abuse order against him. He has repeatedly violated the PFA and local LEOs are unwilling to enforce it. He has also threatened violence against my friend. Most recently, the husband removed the 4yo from his preschool in violation of the custody agreement and has disappeared with the child. Again, local LE refuses to get involved.

I am preparing to travel to PA to help my friend navigate the court system and get the police to do their job. Because of this man's threats of violence, I will be bringing my handgun with me; however, I do not have a CCW (they're pretty much impossible to get in SF, as you might imagine). I understand that open carry is legal in PA, with the exception of the Philadelphia area, and that non-LCTF holders may not carry while in a vehicle. The discussions on this forum have been very informative and I appreciate all the information that is being shared!

Do any readers here have experience with carrying openly in the Williamsport area? What sort of attitude can I expect from local LE? How about civilians -- will people freak out if they see a woman carrying a holstered handgun? Also, I see that it is illegal to carry on the grounds of an elementary or secondary school; does this apply to Head Start programs? I don't want to cause any disturbances or attract undue attention to myself, but in light of the threats that have already been made, not carrying is not an option. I just want to make sure I'm doing so in the most discreet and expedient possible fashion.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate any insight and advice you can provide.
    Last edited by CAvisitor; January 16th, 2008 at 04:29 AM.