Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Taurus 4.6mm revolver

I heard about this awhile back, but cant find any info on it. Are they still making it??
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Taurus 4.6mm revolver

Quote Originally Posted by leplat View Post
    I heard about this awhile back, but cant find any info on it. Are they still making it??
    Googled this tidbit....
    The 4.6x30mm cartridge was introduced as a competitor to the 5.7x28mm developed by FN. While the 5.7x28mm has encountered some success in the US market in the FN Five seveN pistol and the P90 and PS90 bullpup carbines, the 4.6x30mm has not had the same fortune with the HK MP7.

The ballistics are interesting in the 4.6x30mm, but not terribly exciting when compared to the 5.7x28mm. Fiochi advertises their 4.6x30mm 40 grain FMJ and SP ammunition at 1900 fps. Meanwhile the FN SS197SR, with the Hornady V-Max 40 grain bullet, is listed at 2034 fps.

I just don’t see a revolver chambered in 4.6x30mm as being a gun that will generate much interest…especially as a revolver. The only thing I can imagine is a revolver set up for varmint/small game hunting, but I would probably rather a .17 HMR chambering for that anyway. Frankly, if we were a little closer to April 1, I would have figured Bane was setting us up for a little joke.
    And some info from GB:
    Tests show they will penetrate steel at 100 yards where 5.7mm SS190 AP ammo will only leave a dent
    Last edited by D10; September 9th, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Berks County)

Question Re: Taurus 4.6mm revolver

Quote Originally Posted by D10-8x4 View Post
    Googled this tidbit....

And some info from GB:
    5.7 is being used in bolts what about wheel guns? IMHO I think it would be a hell of a varmit gun and have some hunting uses , I don't hunt myself so would like to hear from some hunters. I know this is off subject but saw a 10mm Glock hunting package at cablea's and would like to if the know what state they are in and what the hell you hunt with a 10mm pistol round?

(Jefferson County)

Talk about flame cutting... ...if the high velocity .357mag 125gr blasts are bad - that would have to be asinine.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Honostly I dont care about the revolver. I want a bolt in this but the revolver would help bring it to market since no civi gun uses it. Ammo is available but not a single.gun. IMO this round would make a great varmit round

(Franklin County)

I guess no one has heard anything else about it. Damn

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huskyoverlord View Post
    5.7 is being used in bolts what about wheel guns? IMHO I think it would be a hell of a varmit gun and have some hunting uses , I don't hunt myself so would like to hear from some hunters. I know this is off subject but saw a 10mm Glock hunting package at cablea's and would like to if the know what state they are in and what the hell you hunt with a 10mm pistol round?
    Hogs mostly, but deer, feral hogs, any mid sized game you would try to use .357, .41, or .44 mag for would be about the same. Just not in PA because its a Semi. I took my G20 hog hunting in FL when I went to visit last year. guide made me use one of his rifles though.

I don't know if they ever even finished a working prototype at Taurus. I looked for a pic of one, but came up with nothing.

The HK 4.6x30mm is even hotter than 5.7x28mm, which is pretty damn nasty in it's own right.

I'd love to get something in 4.6

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post

The HK 4.6x30mm is even hotter than 5.7x28mm, which is pretty damn nasty in it's own right.

I'd love to get something in 4.6
    Those two statements right there we can agree on man. 5.7 is a nasty round. One thing I read had both calibers with same wieght and similar fps just 4.6 is skinnier. Honostly I think both calibers would be sweet in mouse gun configuration

The 4.6 is longer, so it makes a bigger wound when it tumbles.

The best rounds in both 5.7 and 4.6mm are tumblers. Some 5.7 rounds also have a fragmentation effect as well. I don't know if any of the 4.6 rounds do. It's really only intended for military applications, so HK has made no effort to make any civilian type loads (that i am aware of).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast