Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK bending help

(Adams County)

Default Re: AK bending help

Good call on the entire receiver being made brittle. my experience with torch heat treating is just using color, though i do have a infared temp gun. The type you just point the laser at something and its a digital readout of the temp. What is you guys opinions of using one of them?

(Adams County)

Just for anyone following this that may be in the same boat. Some research over at akfiles shows the fire control group and axis pin holes must be treated and the ejector rail. This link is from akfiles.com and has some good information for anyone else interested.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1296

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by sneeringer8372 View Post
    Good call on the entire receiver being made brittle. my experience with torch heat treating is just using color, though i do have a infared temp gun. The type you just point the laser at something and its a digital readout of the temp. What is you guys opinions of using one of them?
    I've used those no-contact temp. sensors in industry and they are great, but they are usually really expensive compared to Tempilaq, for instance.

(Adams County)

Thats a neat product i never knew about. We have a temp gun here at work i could borrow, otherwise i dont think i would invest the money either. i tried to attach a .pdf if anyone wants it i have it in solidworks format. Start of a solid model of the receiver, not totally tweaked in yet, once i have a trunnion and some pieces to go off of i can. If i can work up the motivation maybe ill model out the whole thing if anyone is interested

*whoops realized i cut the magwell supports out instead of indenting them*
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sneeringer8372; September 9th, 2011 at 03:02 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Unless you have a very narrow bottom die the upper bends are going to be tough to do on a press brake. I also run a flat bed folder and they would be difficult on it also.

(Adams County)

yeah no hope in doing the top rails on a press brake unless you made them extra long, then cut and as you said finding a small enough bottom die. even doing a sheet metal brake i think i still will end up making a insert to hammer the top rails over by hand.

sorry for the next question,

we can make our own rifle without paperwork??

(Lehigh County)

yes, but i think you can only make 1 per year (not sure on this), and you cannot sell any. they have no serial numbers, therefor cannot be transfered.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sneeringer8372 View Post
    Thats a neat product i never knew about. We have a temp gun here at work i could borrow, otherwise i dont think i would invest the money either. i tried to attach a .pdf if anyone wants it i have it in solidworks format. Start of a solid model of the receiver, not totally tweaked in yet, once i have a trunnion and some pieces to go off of i can. If i can work up the motivation maybe ill model out the whole thing if anyone is interested

*whoops realized i cut the magwell supports out instead of indenting them*
    Your SolidWorks model - Did you try to make the mag well dimples with a Forming Tool? You should.

To answer the other question w/o double posting:
    Yes you can make your own AK receiver & rifle.

I am not a lawyer but, assuming you will be home bending & heat-treating it, it is unethical to sell/give it to someone else whose face may pay the price for your building errors. If you tire of it, you can cut-up the receiver, save the kit and sell it on several internet forums including this one.

Join "The AK Forum" and "AK Files" and you will find much wisdom there. I've bent my own flats for 2 of my builds and they are running fine. These are AK Builder flats with the top rail already stepped & bent. Heat treat the Trigger and Hammer holes and the tip of the ejector rail. Use a MAAP torch (Lowes/Home Depot) Heat til bright orange and quench immediately in water; you do one hole at a time. Afterwards set oven to 550 F and bake the receiver for an hour or two (to temper it)
    Last edited by Enfielder; September 10th, 2011 at 11:23 AM.

(Cambria County)

You can legally make your own Handgun as well, as long as it's not striker fired.
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast