Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default 14.5 inch barrel with pinned muzzle device

A buddy of mine has an LWRC with a 14.5 inch barrel and a pined on muzzle device.
    He wants to change the muzzle device to a different device of the same dimentions.
    The rifle would still have a legal barrel legnth after the change, but here is the real question...
    Can my friend do the work himself?
    He is afraid that in just the few minutes that he has one device off and before he gets the replacement in place that he has violated the law.
    The question is can my friend remove the device for maintenance so long as there is no intention or extended period of time the rifle is left in the short barreled state, or is this something that must be done by a gunsmith the remain compliant?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: 14.5 inch barrel with pinned muzzle device

imo, i,m sure others will speak. you should remove the barrel to do the work anyhow. once you do it is no longer a gun, just a barrel. no rules against having a short barrel as long as you don,t assemble a gun as such. do the work you need to do then reassemble. do not consider this response as the all knowing truth, wait until you get more knowledgeable responses. but i really do think you are safe with this one.

(Lebanon County)

are you sure the rifle is legal as it is?
    i thought that when cutting a barrel down to an under length size and then attaching a device to make up the length...that device had to be permantly attached to that barrel....."pinned and removable" does not seem permant to me.
    Last edited by brian; September 9th, 2011 at 07:30 AM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    A buddy of mine has an LWRC with a 14.5 inch barrel and a pined on muzzle device.
    He wants to change the muzzle device to a different device of the same dimentions.
    The rifle would still have a legal barrel legnth after the change, but here is the real question...
    He is afraid that in just the few minutes that he has one device off and before he gets the replacement in place that he has violated the law.
    The question is can my friend remove the device for maintenance so long as there is no intention or extended period of time the rifle is left in the short barreled state, or is this something that must be done by a gunsmith the remain compliant?
    As long as the upper isn't on the lower when he removes the old muzzle device and puts on the new one, theres no sbr. There is a constructive intent angle, but unless the atf knocks down his door in that 10 minute period, he'll be fine.

The old one can be removed with a dremel, but is your friend capable of permanently installing the new one? Pinning and welding is the usual practice but silver solder is also acceptable.

The part of the quote in red is what would have me concerned though. If hes looking at any method of permanent attachment that would allow him to "remove for maintenance" then that would not be acceptable as a permanent attachment.
    Last edited by HRoark; September 9th, 2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: edited to fix quote format

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    IF it is Factory original the muzzle device should be either Blind Pinned , Welded on, or High Temp Silver soldered on.

These will all be difficult to remove cleanly by a novice.

IF you possess a Short barreled AR upper AND a complete rifle LOWER at the
    same time you are in Violation of Federal Law.

The ONLY exception is if you own a PISTOL lower also
    ( and it better have FFL paperwork showing the purchase in PA ).

Best to drop off or send the upper to a Gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by PAS&W View Post
    IF it is Factory original the muzzle device should be either Blind Pinned , Welded on, or High Temp Silver soldered on.

These will all be difficult to remove cleanly by a novice.

IF you possess a Short barreled AR upper AND a complete rifle LOWER at the
    same time you are in Violation of Federal Law.

The ONLY exception is if you own a PISTOL lower also
    ( and it better have FFL paperwork showing the purchase in PA ).

Best to drop off or send the upper to a Gunsmith.

this is dead on ..go check your nfa rules.