Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default what should I do............

Here's my situation. I've got an Ithaca/SKB model 600 12 gauge over/under shotgun that I use for trap/skeet. Nothing fancy but it's been doing the job for a while. When I bought it the forearm had been repaired and it's help up as long as I've had it. Until recently that is, my forearm has split and can not be repaired. I've looked around and it's not a quick/simple/cheap replacement part. There is also a delay on the firing of the upper barrel which my gunsmith says is dirt, which I would fix if I can get the forearm issue taken care of for a reasonably price. The gun otherwise is in good shape for a gun that's probably 20-30 years old. I've got a few feelers out and waiting to hear back. Now my wife mentioned that instead of fixing it I should sell it and buy a new one. Which has got me thinking.......... Whats the general consensus of the PAFOA forum.......
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Juniata County)

Default Re: what should I do............

i think the best idea would be to do both. Fix the old one AND buy a new one. (Tell your wife you got it for her to shoot.)

(Warren County)

Possible option but I'm going to have a hard sell to spend $200-300 on a new replacement stock for a gun that I paid $500 for. Especially when she's willing to let me get a new one (providing I sell this one as is).

Quote Originally Posted by DeadHead View Post
    i think the best idea would be to do both. Fix the old one AND buy a new one. (Tell your wife you got it for her to shoot.)
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Delaware County)

Do you have an idea what you could sell the gun for?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Warren County)

my gunsmith offered my $175 as is, figuring he could get his money back by parting it out. So that's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Do you have an idea what you could sell the gun for?
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by chez323 View Post
    my gunsmith offered my $175 as is, figuring he could get his money back by parting it out. So that's out there.
    Here is what I would do. I would hang on to it and buy a new gun anyway. I would check out all the local fleamarkets looking for the part I need. It seems you really like the gun and for a low selling price it dosen't seem logical to get rid of it. You may get lucky and get your part for a good price sometime in the future.
    If I was able to get say, $300 or so I would probably sell it towards the purchase of a new one.

(I betcha if you sell it you will see the part you need for $50 within a week)
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Warren County)

That's my thoughts too, $300 I'd sell it, but for $175 I'll keep it. It's a great gun and I shoot well with it. Just needs a piece of wood. In the meantime I'm going to hit the gun show this weekend and maybe I'll get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Here is what I would do. I would hang on to it and buy a new gun anyway. I would check out all the local fleamarkets looking for the part I need. It seems you really like the gun and for a low selling price it dosen't seem logical to get rid of it. You may get lucky and get your part for a good price sometime in the future.
    If I was able to get say, $300 or so I would probably sell it towards the purchase of a new one.

(I betcha if you sell it you will see the part you need for $50 within a week)
    Tim , USAF Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by chez323 View Post
    $300 I'd sell it, but for $175 I'll keep it.
    Yea, me too. Are you sure the stock cannot be fixed? If it is wood, there may be some options on fixing what you have. Can you post a pic of the damaged stock?
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Buy a new one & keep the Ithaca. Sometime down the road, you're probably going to find a forearm in a yard sale junk box for 10 bucks. Until then, it doesn't take up much room.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Franklin County)

Get yourself a piece of wood and carve a new one. Easier said then done I know. Lol. Friend of mine hooked me up with some walnut they dried for rifle stocks for when I make my sbs. Maybe u can find someone with some or dry your own. Or used piece from gunbroker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast