Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default metal target stands

Does anybody know of someone who makes metal target stands near Pittsburgh or within a hours driving? I saw a couple at the monroeville gun for 30 dollars. Not sure if that is a good price??? Let me know thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: metal target stands

Quote Originally Posted by sr20pit View Post
    Does anybody know of someone who makes metal target stands near Pittsburgh or within a hours driving? I saw a couple at the monroeville gun for 30 dollars. Not sure if that is a good price??? Let me know thanks.
    I bought a 6" metal gong and stand from that "target" guy at the monroeville gun show for the bargain price of $50 bucks. Let me say that his product is top notch all around. Instead of welding hooks onto the gong, he bored holes through that AR500 steel and used chains to hang it to the stand. Chains can be replaced easily, hell, paracord can work in a pinch. I've nailed it with 22s, 9mm, 45s, etc at close range. It even took 5.56 at 100 meters no problem (non-armor piercing of course). Since its on chains you see it shake as well as hear it when you hit it. I plan on buying more next time I see him, I think he hails from Ohio somewhere.

(Wyoming County)

If you can weld you can easily make a target stand out of different kinds of metal. I like to use angle iron (around 1/2 inch is usually good) to improve the chance of deflection, which I found improves the life of my stands. Also if your on a budget you can do something like this.

This picture does not have the angle iron on it, but is saving my pole.

I use it for idpa style targets with silhouette targets, but they could be easily made to hold any kind of target. All you need for this project is some nuts, bolts, target backing (plastic works best it seems), and a drill.
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, I saw a couple of videos on you tube about using PVC pipe. But I would rather have metal in case the stand gets hit. The PVC stands cost in material was around 17 to 25 dollars.

(Allegheny County)

I make these on the left.

1/4" steel plate and 1/4" thick X 2" sq. tube steel. 1 1/2" wood from Home Depot fits nicely.

They seem to hold up well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by slinkwc2k View Post
    I bought a 6" metal gong and stand from that "target" guy at the monroeville gun show for the bargain price of $50 bucks. Let me say that his product is top notch all around. Instead of welding hooks onto the gong, he bored holes through that AR500 steel and used chains to hang it to the stand. Chains can be replaced easily, hell, paracord can work in a pinch. I've nailed it with 22s, 9mm, 45s, etc at close range. It even took 5.56 at 100 meters no problem (non-armor piercing of course). Since its on chains you see it shake as well as hear it when you hit it. I plan on buying more next time I see him, I think he hails from Ohio somewhere.

There is a guy on The High Road website that sold me quite a few 8" round AR500 plates X 3/8" thick for $25 apiece. That was 4 years ago so it may be higher now.

mcosman is his handle and he was great to deal with. Shipping was minimal although i don't remember exactly what it was.

They look like this

(Washington County)

Thanks, I saw a couple of videos on you tube about using PVC pipe. But I would rather have metal in case the stand gets hit. The PVC stands cost in material was around 17 to 25 dollars.
    Unless you shoot really low the only thing you might hit is the wood furring strips that hold the target, which will happen with the the typical metal targets stands as well. I can't remember how much it cost to build mine, but I think it was about $12.
    "The best investment on earth is earth."

(Allegheny County)

Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

i've made pvc stands, sucks. takes up too much space to store. I wish i'd just paid 30.00 for a metal stand.

(Luzerne County)

I would recommend GT Targets: http://www.gttargets.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast