Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: metal target stands

thanks to everybody for the posts and ideas. A buddy of mine picked up a welder. See what we can come up with. Ill post the pics good or bad in the furture.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sr20pit View Post
    Does anybody know of someone who makes metal target stands near Pittsburgh or within a hours driving? I saw a couple at the monroeville gun for 30 dollars. Not sure if that is a good price??? Let me know thanks.

Older thread but I'm getting back into the mood of doing some left handed shooting and like to shoot steel.

I was walking through home depot and saw these shepherd hooks. My wife was thinking plant hangers. Somehow my mind envisioned something other than that.

The hooks are a bit small (1/4" or 5/16" bar stock) and were available for different heights.

I bought 2 of the cheap ones at $6.97 ea., took them home and put them in the ground. I hung one of my plates and stood back.

Hmmmm, the verticals were too close to the target. I took another plate that was set up as a gong and hung it.

I will probably change out the chains for something like rope or hose and after figuring out how I want to finally do it, will make spares for range use and abuse.
    The chains actually allow the target face to angle forward a bit. Perhaps carriage bolts with eyebolts mounted at the back will be ok (rounded face to minimize weird deflections).

Work in progress.
    I'll see how resilient they are after a few hundred rounds. The bases will need to be reinforced as the tack welds are designed to support a plant. I'll probably put a few lbs of wire to them .

If they don't work out, I will make a few out of 3/8" rebar
    Last edited by 27hand; May 22nd, 2012 at 08:34 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Older thread but I'm getting back into the mood of doing some left handed shooting and like to shoot steel.

I was walking through home depot and saw these shepherd hooks. My wife was thinking plant hangers. Somehow my mind envisioned something other than that.

The hooks are a bit small (1/4" or 5/16" bar stock) and were available for different heights.

I bought 2 of the cheap ones at $6.97 ea., took them home and put them in the ground. I hung one of my plates and stood back.

Hmmmm, the verticals were too close to the target. I took another plate that was set up as a gong and hung it.

I will probably change out the chains for something like rope or hose and after figuring out how I want to finally do it, will make spares for range use and abuse.
    The chains actually allow the target face to angle forward a bit. Perhaps carriage bolts with eyebolts mounted at the back will be ok (rounded face to minimize weird deflections).

Work in progress.
    I'll see how resilient they are after a few hundred rounds. The bases will need to be reinforced as the tack welds are designed to support a plant. I'll probably put a few lbs of wire to them .

If they don't work out, I will make a few out of 3/8" rebar

Is anyone else wondering what is in the woods behind the gong (I.e. always know what is beyond your target...)?

Getting back on track I've picked up a few metal targets from http://www.metaltargets.com/

The targets are made from AR500 armor plate and are reasonably priced. The guys are straight shooters (no pun intended) and only charge the actual cost to ship. I own their dualist tree, gongs, and knockdown pepper popers.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by frogman View Post
    Is anyone else wondering what is in the woods behind the gong (I.e. always know what is beyond your target...)?

Getting back on track I've picked up a few metal targets from http://www.metaltargets.com/

The targets are made from AR500 armor plate and are reasonably priced. The guys are straight shooters (no pun intended) and only charge the actual cost to ship. I own their dualist tree, gongs, and knockdown pepper popers.
    This is one of the things behind the target

There is a well traveled road, houses and businesses down there. I only set up there just far enough to the side so you couldn't see the salt lick or the school playground. There are rules for setting up a target for pics?

The 8" rounds were $25 ea a few years back. Not sure if the guy still is selling them.

OK OK. I just set up there for pics. Like this.

and this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12