Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (York County)

Agree with what everyone has said so far. Great job and awesome story to hear. Stay safe!

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(York County)

Default Re: OC may have prevented a crime/LEO encounter.

Why do you oc? THATS WHY! GREAT JOB!

OP, excellent!!!

Now, for whatever PD that responded to the call and to whom you spoke too, I would grade them a C- for their performance.

No crime huh? I guess they never heard of Criminal Attempt and or Conspiracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempt_crime
    Attempt crimes are crimes where the defendant's actions have the form of the actual enaction of the crime itself: the actions must go beyond mere preparation.

The essence of the crime of attempt is that the defendant has failed to commit the actus reus (the Latin term for the "guilty act") of the full offense, but has the direct and specific intent to commit that full offense. The normal rule for establishing criminal liability is to prove an actus reus accompanied by a mens rea ("guilty mind") at the relevant time (see concurrence and strict liability offenses as the exception to the rule).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(crime)
    In the criminal law, a conspiracy is an agreement between two or more persons to break the law at some time in the future, and, in some cases, with at least one overt act in furtherance of that agreement. There is no limit on the number participating in the conspiracy and, in most countries, no requirement that any steps have been taken to put the plan into effect (compare attempts which require proximity to the full offence). For the purposes of concurrence, the actus reus is a continuing one and parties may join the plot later and incur joint liability and conspiracy can be charged where the co-conspirators have been acquitted or cannot be traced. Finally, repentance by one or more parties does not affect liability but may reduce their sentence.

CL

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    OP, excellent!!!

Now, for whatever PD that responded to the call and to whom you spoke too, I would grade them a C- for their performance.

<snip>

CL
    Not to nitpick, but I don't think that throwing a thumbs up and wearing a hat with the brim low really constitutes conspiracy. Unfortunately we all know they were going to rob the place, but we can't prove it, at least beyond the shadow of doubt.

Good job, OP, keep up the good work. Our opponents would think that you being there would escalate the situation, but the numbers, studies and statistics always prove them wrong.

I hope these guys get caught in the act and the amount they steal is enough to put them away for a long, long time.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    OP, excellent!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempt_crime
    Attempt crimes are crimes where the defendant's actions have the form of the actual enaction of the crime itself: the actions must go beyond mere preparation.

The essence of the crime of attempt is that the defendant has failed to commit the actus reus (the Latin term for the "guilty act") of the full offense, but has the direct and specific intent to commit that full offense. The normal rule for establishing criminal liability is to prove an actus reus accompanied by a mens rea ("guilty mind") at the relevant time (see concurrence and strict liability offenses as the exception to the rule).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(crime)
    In the criminal law, a conspiracy is an agreement between two or more persons to break the law at some time in the future, and, in some cases, with at least one overt act in furtherance of that agreement. There is no limit on the number participating in the conspiracy and, in most countries, no requirement that any steps have been taken to put the plan into effect (compare attempts which require proximity to the full offence). For the purposes of concurrence, the actus reus is a continuing one and parties may join the plot later and incur joint liability and conspiracy can be charged where the co-conspirators have been acquitted or cannot be traced. Finally, repentance by one or more parties does not affect liability but may reduce their sentence.

CL
    Since they didn't actually meet the highlighted part, I doesn't seem as though this applies. As for conspiracy, I don't think they'd have enough evidence to make that stick. Maybe the guy just didn't see what he wanted to buy, so they left.

I agree, that these guys were probably up to no good, but in reality, no crime was committed that can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northampton County)

Holy crap. Rep sent.

What were you carrying? Clearly it wasn't a Glock

(Allegheny County)

OP

If you don't mind me asking what gas station?

I lived in the area (Howland, Niles, Austintown) for 10 years before moving to Pittsburgh three years ago.

I travel back there quite often to visit friends and family, Utah permit and firearm in tow.

(Mercer County)

It happened at the Blaze on 422.

Ungawa: I had my Valor Bobtail in a SERPA. No Glocks in my house.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; September 7th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Franklin County)

Really like reading things like this, makes me proud to be part of the OC crowd.

It would be real nice to see this in an article of a local paper. Did you happen to get the officers names ?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    I really, really want to believe this was what was actually said. But I find it hard to believe that a cop would bad mouth another PD in public. I'm not calling you a liar, though, I just have a hard time believing that a cop would do that.
    Its easy to believe for me. I've heard PD officers trash talk other PDs plenty of times.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast