Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Best .17 HMR

(Luzerne County)

Default Best .17 HMR

I've decided to acquire one of these as my target and varmint rifle. Is this a good choice for shooting out to 150-250 yards?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Best .17 HMR

I shoot a Marlin bolt action with a bull barrel and a 14x scope at groundhogs. It can reach out and kill to 300yrds if your doing your part. After 300 good confirmed kills are hard to come by. Anything over 300 I grab the 30-06.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

What is calling the .17hmr versus the 22-250?

I was researching the .17hmr as well versus the .22mag... the .17 is a cool caliber and I want the savage bolt action with ambi stock and fluted barrel.

If the other poster says out to 300 that is cool.. I read things different but if he can do it well it can be done.

I simply googled .17hmr vs .22mag

Check out the ballistics of the .17hmr and compare it to other calibers you may use and the type of game you are thinking of shooting.

I think going beyond 200 yards is pushing it, but I can't argue with someone's dynamic results. It's not a limitation of the cartridges abilty to kill at those ranges, but more the fact that with the light .17 caliber bullets, they are susceptible to wind drift - the longer the range, the longer wind is a factor.

That being said the .17 HMR is a great little round. About the most fun you can have sitting (or lying) down. It is inherently accurate, and for me, more closely equates to a centerfire cartridge, than the .22's.

When you say "the best" that can get quite expensive. I think the Savage in the laminated thumbhole stock and the accu-trigger is probably the best moderately priced rifle out there. You can spend a whole lot more money and not necessarily get a commensurate performance improvement.

Like .22's they tend to be ammo sensitive. My hummer prefers Winchester silvertip 17 grain ballistic tip ammunition, followed by Remington, using the same bullet. As I recall, all .17 HMR is loaded at CCI and branded whatever, but I have to think the different manufacturers direct CCI to use different "recipes", otherwise there would be no performance difference.

I have two .17 rimfires. An Anschutz in .17 M2 and a Cooper 57 LVT (one of appx 40 produced with a maple stock) in .17 HMR.

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

I have a Marlin bolt action 17 hmr too. I put a Bushnell 3x9 22 scope on it.
    I can hit anything out to 140yds with it. It easily puts groundhogs down. I have not had the chance to shoot over 140yds with it. Love the rifle.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Chester County)

I went with a Savage 17 HMR SS Bull barrel and thumbhole stock. Awesome little firearm.

Hoplophobia is funny

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: Best .17 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    What is calling the .17hmr versus the 22-250?

...and I want the savage bolt action with ambi stock and fluted barrel.
    You mean like this one >

It's worth it, man...very sweet rifle, and love the ambi stock being a south paw. Best ammo for it so far is the Hornady 17Gr V-Max...

Midsouth Shooters has a 50-round box for 9.99 - just bought some more at that price...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Norun6 View Post
    You mean like this one >

It's worth it, man...very sweet rifle, and love the ambi stock being a south paw. Best ammo for it so far is the Hornady 17Gr V-Max...

Midsouth Shooters has a 50-round box for 9.99 - just bought some more at that price...
    Yes.. that is the one...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    I went with a Savage 17 HMR SS Bull barrel and thumbhole stock. Awesome little firearm.

I second that, I have the same one and I'm getting head shots on whistle pigs at 100 yds. The polymer tip rounds a devastating, Hit a pig a 1/4" below his eye and had a 3"out the back. Also hit a rabbit in the neck it blew his neck out, just a little skin left. I love my .17