Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG P250 9mm

(Montgomery County)

Default SIG P250 9mm

Hello all, please allow me to introduce myself.

I have the desire to purchase my first handgun. I've been doing some research and it seems to me that a good first gun would be a sig P250 compact in 9mm. It was suggested by a friend that I obtain my permit to carry right off.

My question to all you with extensive knowledge is, do you think this would be a good first handgun? I'm an adult, not a young kid.

One final question if you please, is the P250 convertable into a .45 caliber?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: SIG P250 9mm

The P250 is one of those handguns that seems to have divided people into the love it/hate it camps. If the person comes from a DA revolver background they will generally love it. The long pull and reset is similar to a really finely tuned DA revolver. With a trigger pull of nominally 5.5 pounds, consistently, it is easy for even a newbie to control.

That same long pull and reset that endears it to revolver fans, is what causes Sig purists and DA/SA semi-auto fanboys to castigate it. These are probably overly broad generalizations, but there does seem to be no middle road with this gun.

It is really a matter of getting used to it - developing the proper muscle memory to shoot it effectively. Since you are starting with a clean-slate, so to speak, with no pre-conceived bias, you should probably adapt to it well.

Personally I think it is a brilliant concept - not so much for the caliber interchange capability, but from an easy to field strip and clean viewpoint. AFAIK, you can use the fire control module in the .45 grip frame.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

I like the P250, a lot of people will say polymer SIGs are crap but the opinion that matters most is yours. I like how the gun is modular and can be switched to different calibers and frame sizes while keeping one serial number. I do not know for sure if the 9mm models can be converted to .45, but I'm willing to believe they are. The trigger on them is a very smooth DA, similar to a S&W revolver. I would say definately check it out, but don't limit yourself to the SIG. Everyone and the mother makes 9mm's these days and ity would be a good idea to try several models first before purchasing. If you do plan on carrying, definately get your LTCF, and take some courses on firearms safety. On that note, I must say it is my opinion that all people that carry should carry everyday and for as many hours as possible in a day. Guns like the P250 may be described as "compact" but they aren't actually "small". Double stack guns are inherently wide and thickness plays a key role in concealability and comfort. Single stack guns are the way to go for concealed carry in my opinion. I carry a Ruger LCP. I know the .380 isn't the best round available but the gun allows me to be armed everyday and for a minimum of 18 hours everyday, and I must confess, on those days when I'm too exhausted/lazy to change for sleep, the LCP is with me 24 hours a day. With the Ruger LC9 being introduced, I am considering switching over to the larger pistol. Anyway, I've rambled on enough here. Good luck with what you decide on and tell us what you end up getting.

(Allegheny County)

The ATF deemed the P250 (in .40) too unreliable to continue in a trial in which they granted equal contracts to Glock and S&W.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Northampton County)

The Sig 250 is a good pistol. I suggest you get it in the 9mm compact. It is about $100 cheaper than the Glock 19. But it is about 5 ounces heavier. For carry I suggest you look at a 9mm between 17 ounces and 21 oz. In this range you will find the Ruger LC9, The Taurus 709, the Glock 19, the Taurus PT 111 and others. With good ammo the 9mm will do everything you need for self defense.
    Teaching people how to shoot safely and accurately for 54 years. www.gunskills.com

(Allegheny County)

Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Montgomery County)

I'll go a different route.

I'd suggest that you go to a range that has different guns that you can rent or try to find someone that has a few different size, style, and caliber guns that you can shoot before you buy one.

Guns are not "one size fits all" and you might find that the P250 doesn't fit you.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Montgomery County)

Thanks all for your comments. I'm going to a gunshop this weekend to start my search. I'll have to find a range that rents guns to try. How are ranges for helping new guys handle sidearms? I've been watching youtubes on basic handling and safety.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gomez View Post
    Thanks all for your comments. I'm going to a gunshop this weekend to start my search. I'll have to find a range that rents guns to try. How are ranges for helping new guys handle sidearms? I've been watching youtubes on basic handling and safety.
    I'm a member at Classic Pistol in Southampton :

http://www.classicpistol.com/

They have many different guns for rent and also have basic pistol classes. Their staff is very friendly and knowledgeable and will take the time to answer any questions that you may have. They also have one of the biggest selections of new and used guns in our area.

It's not all that far from Harleysville and definitely worth checking out.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

i own a 250 and i really like it. i am not in love with it. it has run flawless for me after about 800 rnds and i have experienced none of the problems that are most commonly associated with it it.

that being said i was in a shop a few months ago and got to lay my hands on a springfield armory xdm in .9mm. i absolutely loved the way it felt and pointed. i got the chance to shoot one three weeks ago and i am now in love with it! im an average shot at best and at 12yrds i was shooting this gun in 2-3" groups with the first mag.

i find the trigger to be very crisp and i really like the grip safety feature. i will own a couple of these pistols in the near future. the example i shot was a nine but i think the first one i get will be in 40.

20 rnds of nine in the shorter barreled version of this gun makes a great carry piece in my opinion and i would recommend it highly.

i do not believe you can switch to .45acp from .9mm in the 250, if im not mistaken the grip frame is not large enough for the 45 mag and barrel.

btw. i had never fired a striker fired pistol before the xd.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast