Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Hunting with a muzzleloading pistol?

I am thinking about purchasing a 14" 50 cal inline barrel for my contender. From the 2011 hunting digest it appears that I could use this in both the firearms season and the early doe season.

"Firearms Deer Seasons: 1) Manually operated centerfire rifles,
    handguns and shotguns with all lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns of any type, 44 caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or larger; and 3) long, recurve or compound and crossbows with broadheads of cutting-edge design. Buckshot is illegal, except in Southeast Special Regulations Area."

"October Antlerless Muzzleloader Season: Any single-barrel muzzleloader long gun with flintlock, percussion or in-line igni- tion, 44 caliber or larger, or 50 caliber or larger handgun. Scope sights permitted."

To make this most of this investment I would also like to use it within a special regulation area. Reading the hunting digest it does not appear that this would be legal.

"DEER & BEAR SEASON ARMS & AMMUNITION: Allegheny County — Muzzleloading long guns .44 caliber or larger, bows and arrows, crossbows, manual or semi-automatic shotguns, .410 or larger using slugs. Buckshot is not permitted. "

For some reason this does not add up as I can legally use my 50 cal inline muzzleloading rifle in the special regulation area but not my inline 50 cal pistol?

Any thoughts?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Hunting with a muzzleloading pistol?

do they make such a thing? If so I assume it would be an inline type muzzleloading pistol which would remove it from being legal during late season when flintlock only is the rule (i think?)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

They do make them in both 45 cal and 50 cal. It is an inline with 209 ignition so it would be excluded from the late season.

It just seems odd that I could use my 50 cal inline but not a 50 cal pistol in the special regulation area.

(Somerset County)

You can't use centerfire handguns in the special regs area either. No idea why, it's just the way it's always been.

Dale

(Indiana County)

Thumbs up Re: Hunting with a muzzleloading pistol?

Its my belief the State should allow ALL inline of flintlock muzzle loading rifles and pistols in any areas in the state that allow from Rifled slugs and better. .44 caliber and up. Look at the size of the ball!!!! Look at the fact you can change the powder amounts!!!! .45 caliber Flintlock Pistol with 80 grains of powder at close range can kill a big game animal. Its more powerful than an arrow from a compound. I could go on and on, but until WE as the hunters of this sport speak out we won't see the changes.