Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Concentricity Gage

any one else here use one? i use the sinclair unit. what do you use, and how do you like it.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Concentricity Gage

I do not own one but have considered the Hornady, from my research i have done, only the Hornady has the ability built in to correct bullet run out. All others will only show that it is present.

The Sinclair unit is a beautiful tool. I use a modified RCBS Case Master. However, after I started measuring my chamber clearance "at the shoulder", it became un-necessary to measure case run-out. The run-out on my handloads are now rarely over .001"
    Visit our website at WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    I do not own one but have considered the Hornady, from my research i have done, only the Hornady has the ability built in to correct bullet run out. All others will only show that it is present.
    The only problem with that is that concentricity issues mostly stem from our sizing procedures. So straightening out the bullet without having the case running true is only half of the battle.

Take that same Hornady guage and put it on the neck instead of the bullet and if you see runout on the neck, straightening out the bullet will actually make your concentricity worse.

Thats why people do things like turn necks and pay big money for redding bushing dies (no sizing button to pull the neck sideways on the way out) and the redding seater dies that guide the neck and bullet together.

I have the RCBS and I mostly used it to refine how I process brass so that my CASES have minimal runout. After that it becomes much easier to seat bullets straight.

YMMV YB
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: Concentricity Gage

this one step i have not graduated to yet. does this make a considerable difference in you accuracy? i got my .308 savage shooting consistent groups that look like three leaf clovers now using basic load prep. i know it is not just me because first time shooters of the gun are getting similar results. i would love to have a actual one hole gun, never been there but close. could this procedure be what i need? i know there are many variables that fall into play to achieve this but is this worth the work? btw my load is lapua brass, 210m primers, 43.5 of n150, hornady 168 amax bullets col at 2.800 with a slight crimp. i guaged the chamber and this gives me a 15 thousandths jump to the rifling. happy shooting, red dog

red dog .....

You can reload using the most basic techniques and still have a good time shooting, or you can search for maximum "consistent" accuracy. There's no one specific item that will make your handloads shoot perfectly.

Everything (rifle, shooter, wind, rifle rest & handloads) need to be 100% perfect if you want to shoot tight groups. It's important to know the limitations of your equipment. Stack the ods in your favor, and make the best handloads possible.

There's no need to crimp your .308 Win handloads - not even a little bit.

- Good Shooting
    Visit our website at WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM

(Cumberland County)

yes i know no crimp required on the .308 but my rifle likes it. the groups tighten up when i do so vs. not. do not know if it gives a more consistent release of the bullet when firing or what. i do know it works so i still do it. just trying to squeak out the last little bit of accuracy out of this rig. have not tried going the concentricity gauge route, did not know if it was worth the extra work for the additional accuracy. do not get me wrong i do not mind the extra step if it pays off. keep in mind this is a 300yd. gun at the most not a 1000 yd. bench rest monster.

(York County)

It's really fun to experiment with concentricity and getting the most out of your handloads. I personally would say that if your getting clover leaves at 300 yds that anything more you do to your handloads is only going to give you diminishing returns vs time spent at the bench, but hey, I like time at the bench.

YB
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Cumberland County)

yea i agree with you yb, spending time at the bench is relaxing for me as well. gives me the satisfaction of making a round that can deliver a bullet right where i want it to go. glad to know i,m not the only strange one out here. it still amazes me how precise shooting can be. think about it, we can take something as small as a bullet send it hundreds of yards and put it right where we want it to go consistently, WOW crazy stuff is it not.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by yukon375 View Post
    any one else here use one?

I use them for long range ammo. I even have a custom one for 50 BMG ammo that I load for 1000yd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast