Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default S&W SD9 experience?

I bumped into a write up on the S&W SD9 recently. I'd not heard of this one before. On paper, it seems pretty good. A couple of reviews that I found were generally favorable.

I checked Gunbroker and was surprised to find only a half-dozen for sale. The going price seems to be ~$390, which doesn't seem too bad. I'm thinking of one for my wife. We've looked at some other brands/models and the Glock 19 seems to fit her well. If the SD9 is reliable I'm leaning in that direction.

Anyone with first-hand experience to share?

And thanks.
    Dan
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

(York County)

Default Re: S&W SD9 experience?

I've seen some adds for them but never handled one. In my opinion they look like revamped Sigmas. I say go with the M&P9, I picked mine up used for under $400 and love it. Its now my primary carry pistol.

I have the M&Pc with the apex kit. I am impressed with it.

I would like to hear more about the SD9.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

I had the SD40, which is the .40 caliber version of the SD9. About 6 months later it had gone back to S&W and returned "repaired" 2 times for failures to fire and the 3rd time it went back I asked for them to refund my money, which they did.

They claimed it always worked flawlessly when they tested it with premium ammo. My experience was different with multiple types of ammo. As a result I did not trust it.

I bought a Glock instead and have never had a problem, and I have at least 1,000 rounds through it, probably closer to 2k in less than a year.

My take is that the SD series are too new of a line to say if they truly are POS's. They seem to have tried to make up for the failings of the Sigma, but make it more accessible (and competitive with Glock) by making it at a price point below the M&P. I would buy another gun from S&W, but probably only an M&P or a revolver. If you are set on S&W go with the M&P line, but if not then go with a Glock since it is cheaper; both seem to be reliable.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Lycoming County)

"My take is that the SD series are too new of a line to say if they truly are POS's."

Point taken. The tip-off should have been how few show up on Gunbroker. Searching for M&P without specifying caliber returns 235. Much more experience in the M&P.
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

The SD9 is a supposed to be slight upgrade of the Sigma 9VE. I have a Sigma, and it's a decent cheap gun, but I don't see what makes the SD $100 better.

(Northampton County)

Don't listen to the naysayers that discount a firearm they've never fired.

I have an SD9 that I've put about 1000 rounds through. I carry it daily. It has -never- failed me. I had two "failure to ejects" that were my fault because of limp-wristing.

I find it easier to work the slide on the SD9 than an M&P. It's quite accurate and will out-shoot the shooter any day (my sights say "M&P" on them from teh factory, anyway). For the price point, it's a decent first pistol and daily carry that you don't have to worry about. Every time I've pulled the trigger, I got a bang from my gun and a hole in my target.

The trigger pull is on the heavy side, but it's smooth. I wonder if it's not the same trigger as the M&P line.

I put Winchester white box FMJs, JHPs, Federal American Eagle, even Blazer's with the steel casing, pretty much anything 9x19 you stick in it will come out the other end.

It's just as easy to strip and clean as a glock, as are most semi-auto autoloaders.

The grips are comfortable. I find the Glocks to be a little rough and I don't like the bite I got from a Glock 23 (yeah, yeah, it's not the same caliber, but still...). You don't get removable backstraps and you can't move the magazine release to the other side. That's about the difference I can find between the SD9 and the M&P9. Do I think the upgrades are worth the extra cash? Not necessarily, but that's up to the shooter/carrier for what they want in a firearm.

Ultimately, it's up to you. I will say that if you're seriously considering an SD9, it's in your budget, you and your wife like it, and it's comfortable to shoot, then give it a chance. Just don't count it out because S&Ws made Sigmas. And SD pistol is not a Sigma. I wish people would stop saying they're the same line.

(Allegheny County)

I have owned a Sigma 9mm & M&P .40 and handled the SD9/40.

The Sigma was very reliable but suffered a long squishy trigger. Also it has a proprietary accessory rail and very little accessories available.

The M&P has a nice crisp trigger and shorter take-up. It comes with a standard 1913 rail and has multiple palm swells. Fit and finish is better and it comes in a combination of safety features including internal lock, mag disconnect and manual safety if you so desire them. I do not. Also its popular with Law Enforcement agencies so holsters and other accessories are abundant for the M&P platform. Not so much with the Sigma/SD platform. My M&P .40 had about the same felt recoil as my Sigma 9mm. I would assume the M&P 9mm would be less felt recoil but have not shot the full size M&P 9mm. The M&P was just as reliable as my Sigma.

I have only handled the SD9/40. To me they seem like a reworked Sigma with standard 1913 rail and better slide serrations front and back. Dry firing the trigger feels significantly better than the Sigma and worse than the M&P.

My purchase opinion based on the above knowledge is, if your thinking about the SD line spend the extra $100 and get the M&P. That $100 will get you a better trigger, better fit and finish, replaceable palm swells, more safety options and a larger aftermarket for holsters and accessories.

I think S&W should get rid of the Sigma line and bring the SD line down closer or matching its price range. Seeing as they are similar I'm bettering the SD does not cost to much more to produce as is the same basic pistol but with more cuts in the slide and slightly better trigger.

If the SD line was priced closer to the Sigma line the amount of savings over the M&P would justify giving up the extras you get with the M&P.

P.S. I sold my Sigma to buy a TLR-2 Laser/Light for my M&P.
    Last edited by QuackXP; September 9th, 2011 at 11:48 AM.

(Centre County)

To revive this thread.. I just discovered this pistol.. To those who say "just buy an M&P, the SD's are THINNER from what I have seen.. That's a big deal in my mind. Any other opinions?
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

We gave the Afghans a bunch of them along with some Sigmas. The SDs seem to have a slightly better trigger but they functioned identically in terms of reliability. Those guys don't really clean their guns either and they seemed to still work despite the conditions...