Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default another reason not to frequent Gander Mountain

mp517prct bought sunglasses from Gander Mountain in Harrisburg back in May 2011. Because he usually breaks his sunglasses within a few months, we opted to buy their extended warranty for $3. Figured it was a good investment. Sure enough, he broke them. Call their extended warranty company today, to file a claim. We're told, "We stopped covering sunglasses in 2010. They should not have sold you a Summit Plan on them."

Apparently, employees don't know what products are covered or they know sunglasses aren't covered, but the pressure to sell the warranties is so great that they lie to customers in order to sell them anyway.

We did check the warranty brochure that we were given, and it says nothing about sunglasses not being covered.

Yes, I realize it's only $3, but we wouldn't have purchased sunglasses at Gander Mountain except for the warranty.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: another reason not to frequent Gander Mountain

Regardless if they stopped covering them, you have a receipt indicating that an authorized representative of the store sold you something which you purchased in good faith. You are owed a new pair of sunglasses, it isn't your fault they employed a dumbass.

I would be going in their with the receipt and speak to the store manager until things are made right.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Luzerne County)

it sounds like you have a perfect case, i would keep pushing the issue at gander til you get the new glasses
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Franklin County)

I won't shop there at all anymore. I stopped when the required me to show a DL to return an item purchased with cash and with receipt in hand. No such requirement is listed on the large sign containing their policies that hangs above the service desk, yet they refused to process my refund without it. I don't have to return things often, but I won't by a single thing there and take the chance.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Looks like my problems with Gander were not limited to the store in Indiana. If it were me, I'd do what Streaker suggested and have them make this right. A refund or a new pair of sunglasses is in order.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by VeritasAequitas View Post
    Looks like my problems with Gander were not limited to the store in Indiana. If it were me, I'd do what Streaker suggested and have them make this right. A refund or a new pair of sunglasses is in order.
    A refund of the sunglasses themselves, not of the warranty. Because I bet that's what they'll try to do is to refund the warranty so they don't have to honor it. Problem is, they created contract with the customer to honor the warranty that was sold. It isn't the customer's fault that the employee didn't know any better to sell it. Actually, it could be corporate's fault for not changing the POS system to disallow warranties to be sold on those items if they don't honor it.

The OP deserves a new pair of sunglasses under the warranty that was sold, for the entire term of the warranty.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    A refund of the sunglasses themselves, not of the warranty. Because I bet that's what they'll try to do is to refund the warranty so they don't have to honor it. Problem is, they created contract with the customer to honor the warranty that was sold. It isn't the customer's fault that the employee didn't know any better to sell it. Actually, it could be corporate's fault for not changing the POS system to disallow warranties to be sold on those items if they don't honor it.

The OP deserves a new pair of sunglasses under the warranty that was sold, for the entire term of the warranty.
    According to the warranty customer service supervisor, I can either have them refund the money for the warranty at the store, or send a copy of the receipt to their cancellation department and they'll send a check.

I'm also wondering how many other customers have had this sort of thing happen to them, where Gander Mountain employees sell the extended warranty on things that aren't eligible.

I'm currently waiting to hear from the store manager, and if there's no assistance there (if I receive the, "I'll refund the cost of the warranty plan only,") I'll go through corporate, because I do want the cost of the sunglasses or a replacement pair.

(Luzerne County)

dont settle for anything less than a new pair of sun glasses or a full refund for the glasses.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    According to the warranty customer service supervisor, I can either have them refund the money for the warranty at the store, or send a copy of the receipt to their cancellation department and they'll send a check.

I'm also wondering how many other customers have had this sort of thing happen to them, where Gander Mountain employees sell the extended warranty on things that aren't eligible.

I'm currently waiting to hear from the store manager, and if there's no assistance there (if I receive the, "I'll refund the cost of the warranty plan only,") I'll go through corporate, because I do want the cost of the sunglasses or a replacement pair.
    I would press them that they should honor the warranty since they claim to have not covered them in 2010, but their POS system, which is supported by corporate allowed the salesperson to sell it to you. It is not only a matter of training, but it's also a matter of the system allowing it to happen.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    ....we opted to buy their extended warranty for $3. Figured it was a good investment.....
    ....Yes, I realize it's only $3, but we wouldn't have purchased sunglasses at Gander Mountain except for the warranty.

$3.00 for a warranty on sunglasses???!!

My sunglasses cost $3.99 total.

-------------

Well on a good note, you shouldn't have any trouble OCing in there if you so choose.

-------

They OWE you new glasses,,,bottom line!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast