Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default DIY $22 child-safe, quick access HD shotgun lock thingy

Over the weekend I had some extra time, so I worked on a few gun-related projects. This was one of them that I've been planning on doing for awhile.

I've been thinking about an idea for how to store a loaded shotgun next to my bed, while allowing quick access but also being safe from my 2 year old daughter. With a bunch of googling, I eventually found what seemed like the perfect solution: the ShotLock

http://www.shotlock.com/

It mounts on the wall, and holds your shotgun loaded and ready, and releases it upon entering the correct code on the mechanical push-button lock. It keeps the trigger guard covered, and also the slide release, so that you cannot rack the slide while the gun is locked up. It's the perfect solution, except for two things. It cost $169, and it doesn't allow the use of a side-saddle to hold extra ammo.

I came up with a way to make a similar shotgun lock for about 22 bucks. It is probably nowhere near as secure as the ShotLock, but should be enough to keep the gun out of the hands of small children, until they are old enough to learn and understand gun safety. It also allows for very quick access.

I started by buying this lock box from Staples, for just under $22:

With some metal shears, I cut notches in the sides of the box, and covered the sharp edges with some plastic tubing that I cut down the center:

I used special shears that are designed to cut on a curve. I had to keep trimming until there was a perfect fit for the shotgun:

There is just enough space for the side saddle. It is touching the front cover, but still allows it to close. There is also about a 1/4" gap between the back of the shotgun, and the back of the lock box.

Just to reinforce the box, we took a scrap piece of 16 gauge steel and cut it to the approximate size of the box, drilled holes in it for mounting, and painted it black:

Here it is mounted on the wall:

You can see that there are two screws securing it to the wall. They are going into a stud.

This is where I ran into my first problem. The shotgun wanted to slide down in the case, which also caused it to push against the door. This would have been fine if I just left the box locked all the time. But my plan was to leave the box locked during the day, and unlocked at night. As you can see, there is no separate latch besides the lock itself. I am stuck with just leaving the key in the lock at night. But the pressure from the shotgun was causing the door to pop open when the key was inserted. I had to find a way to prop up the shotgun so it would stop pushing on the door. For now, I'm just using one of my wife's ring boxes underneath the trigger guard to hold it up.

Here it is closed:

When I put the key in the lock at night, I pull it out one notch to prevent the lock from popping open. Yeah, it's a little ghetto, but it gets the job done for $22 and still allows me to keep the side saddle on there. It's not too bad looking either. It's mounted right next to my bed. I put the key in the lock right before I go to bed, and I can have the shotgun out and ready in about 2 seconds.

Ultimately, I would have wanted a box that has a separate latch besides the actual lock. That way I could just unlock it, and not have to leave the key in there. But that's all I could find at the time.

Like I said, this is not a super high security solution. It will not stop bad guys from stealing your gun, nor will it stop a determined teenager from getting to it. But it should be enough to stop small children from hurting themselves or someone else. By the time they are old enough to learn how to pick locks, they should be old enough to learn gun safety and have respect for firearms.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; January 6th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: DIY $22 child-safe, quick access HD shotgun lock thingy

That's a pretty nifty little setup you got there...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Delaware County)

Since you have a ghetto solution why not add some heavy duty velcro as the separate latch? you could drill a hole through the side and use a couple of nuts, bolts and washers to secure the velcro to the box you would also need to attach a large "handle" if you saved the cut-outs they would be perfect then you can unlock but keep it closed at night and have rapid access if ever needed.
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 5711-Marine View Post
    Since you have a ghetto solution why not add some heavy duty velcro as the separate latch? you could drill a hole through the side and use a couple of nuts, bolts and washers to secure the velcro to the box you would also need to attach a large "handle" if you saved the cut-outs they would be perfect then you can unlock but keep it closed at night and have rapid access if ever needed.
    Not a bad idea, I was considering adding a second latch somehow. Maybe even a piece of nylon webbing with a snap closure?

(Centre County)

Nice project. The only thing I'd change is to mount it in a concealed location (obscured by a curtain, wall hanging, etc.) to prevent someone from boosting it if you're home is broken into while you're away.
    Or, put the shotgun in a gun safe if you leave the house empty for a long duration.

(Berks County)

Nice setup for minimal coin.

(Delaware County)

Gotta say that you used some spare time to a positive solution-may thanks for the pics.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Perry County)

Good thinking.
    How about putting a pin through your reinforcing plate at a height that would allow the pin to support the gun weight by the trigger guard?
    Molon Labe

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cmcgowan View Post
    Good thinking.
    How about putting a pin through your reinforcing plate at a height that would allow the pin to support the gun weight by the trigger guard?
    Actually that was the plan originally. We were gonna do four pins; two on the bottom and two on the top. They would be covered in soft tubing for padding. But after I cut the holes in the case, it fit so tightly that we figured it wasn't necessary. Now looking back, it might have been a good idea to just do the one pin like you mentioned. I might consider adding that later. For now, it gets the job done.

(Northampton County)

I think that's a great idea. Good job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast