Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Double ear protection?

I was wondering: how many people find themselves using both earplugs and ear muffs at the range? Obviously with something like a low powered rifle, one is more than adequate. However, around handguns I find myself much more comfortable wearing double protection.

When I read some reports of handguns pushing 160 decibels, this doesn't surprise me, as you normally want to keep noise to 85 dB to avoid hearing loss. With decibels being a logarithmic scale, going from 100 to 150 decibels means the sound is 10^5 = 10,000 times louder! Oh, and earplugs and ear muffs are usually only blocking 20-30 dB.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Double ear protection?

I know when courses of fire call for shooting an AR or shotgun inside a small space like a camper people tend to double up. I usually just use foam plugs. I place them so far inside my ear peple think I dont have plugs in. The thing that bothers me most is the pressure you feel from the round going off.

(York County)

I do. Both plugs and muffs are in my range bag, and are both used at every range trip. Even if I'm shooting a .22 rifle, the guy next to me may uncork some large magnum.

One loud noise and my ears ring for hours. Despite the chances I have taken with my ears, my hearing is still good in my 50's, I intend for that to continue.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

I used to do muffs only when I had passive hearing protection. When I accidentally left those at the range one day and replaced them with a set of electronic muffs, I decided to "double bag" (muffs and plugs). While I am confident that the active noise reduction is doing its job, I don't like the amount of sound I can hear. I have better peace of mind double-bagging, but maybe it's just that I'm not used to the electronic muffs.

When I'm shooting at the outdoor range, I start with plugs only. If conditions on the ground dictate additional protection, I'll put the muffs on as well.

(Montgomery County)

Hearing loss due to exposure to high intensity sound is cumulative. A little lost here and a little lost there really ads up over time.

Higher pressure rounds will create more decibels of sound and potential damage. Granted, the difference is not massive it is real.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Turban over high quality plugs FTW!

(Allegheny County)

I use the soft gel three flange type. I have no problems with just those. And without ear/pro I ring for hours and hours after just 2-3 shots. I'm really sensitive to loud noises. But I can get those ear plugs way in my ears and I can go shoot all day with no issues whatsoever. Everything I shoot is on the louder part of the list too.

IDK I've never had any issues with just one. Weird I guess?

(Allegheny County)

i like being able to hear a mouse sneeze so i wear both plugs and muffs most of the time.

(Cumberland County)

i work in the construction industry so i can give you first hand experience on hearing loss. it can be a slow and unnoticeable process, one day you wake up and go (oh shit) i can,t hear. i wear muffs at every range session and double up when using the heavy stuff or guns with muzzle brakes. take care of your hearing guys it is all you got. fwiw hearing loss can occur even if the noise is not uncomfortable. if it is uncomfortable you are definitely in the damage threshold.

I try and wear both plugs and muffs whenever possible. It seems like I always end up getting the bench next to some guy shooting a large magnum rifle or a rifle with a muzzle brake...

As for hearing loss, take it seriously guys from someone who has hearing problems and tinnitus. If you show up at the range and realize you forgot your ear protection that is reason enough to not shoot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast