Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Archery

(Berks County)

Default Outdoor Archery

When I was young, my grandfather used to take me and a few of his grandkids out to Wapiti Archery Club down in the Fort Washington area. As a kid I used to love the 30 target walking coarse (back before I was born I believe it was 45 targets). When I got older my family moved out to Berks County and I wasn't able to go anymore.

A few years ago (maybe 5) I joined Limerick Bowmen in an attempt to get back into archery. I used to shoot their practice coarse a lot and occasionally shot their 3D coarse when monthly matches were held. I didn't enjoy the 3D targets as much as the old paper targets I used to shoot at Wapiti (I was shooting fingers without a sight and lost too many arrows as I re-learned the sport) After being a member for a year or two I moved to the Reading area at let my membership lapse.

I'm wondering if there are any clubs in the area that still do paper targets with backstops or has everyone gone to 3D?

Does Daniel Boone Rod and Gun Club have an outdoor range? I know they do indoor archery and have a monthly 3D shoot, but do they have something that is open to members, outdoors, that is available on days that they do not have a shoot?

I am a member of Daniel Boone but I have only been there to pick up an application in the evening. Winter was setting in when I got my membership card and the driveway leading into the club got icy and pretty nasty. I didn't think my sedan could handle getting in and out and I haven't gone over to check it out yet (I've been shooting pistol at Muhlenberg and Oley).

I have my grandfathers old bow (Jenning Arrowstar) that was a lot of fun to shoot but is tremendously outdated (I think he bought it in the 70's). When I started shooting at Limerick I picked up a newer bow (Jennings of some sort) but it is also outdated.

I just registered for the hunter safety class and want to get back into target shooting before giving bowhunting a try next year. For the time being I may dust off my bow but plan on purchasing a kit within the next couple of months.

One last question to add to this already long thread... Are there any archery shops in the Reading area? When I buy my bow kit, I'd like to go to an archery shop instead of Cabelas or French Creek.

Thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: Outdoor Archery

Archery Outfitters
    947 Kurtz Mill Rd # 1,
    Mohnton, PA 19540
    (610) 856-1137

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by xotech View Post
    Archery Outfitters
    947 Kurtz Mill Rd # 1,
    Mohnton, PA 19540
    (610) 856-1137
    Thanks, I'll have to take a ride over and check it out. Have you used them before, and of so, what did you think of the store?

(Schuylkill County)

These are all along I-78 but all have 20 to 30 target paper target ranges.
    Lenhartsville rod and gun 20+ targets
    Kutztown rod and gun I think 30 targets
    Hamburg fish and game 20+ targets
    Shartlesville fish and game 30 targets?
    Lenhartsville,Shartlesville and Kutztown have the membership applications hanging near their bulleton boards. Hamburg is a regular club with a bar. They open around 11am and close between midnight and 2am. open 7 days a week. You show up there to fill out an app. If you need directions to any pm me.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the list. Of the clubs you mention, Kutztown and Hamburg both seem pretty accessible (less than 30 minutes from home).

Kutztown looks promising but there isn't a whole lot of information on their website. There is a mention on monthly pistol matches. Do you happen to know what those matches are (IDPA, USPSA, Steel, Fun Matches, etc)?

Thanks again

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wwhite72082 View Post
    Thanks, I'll have to take a ride over and check it out. Have you used them before, and of so, what did you think of the store?
    Sorry, but haven't been there for 7 or 8 years, but they were a friendly & knowledgeable shop back then.

(Schuylkill County)

I have no idea what kind of pistol matches they have but I would think more like fun shoots. Kutztown club is not in kutztown. It is located on RT 143 between Lenhartsville and Kempton, you'll see the sign along the right side of the road.
    Hamburg does not have and rifle or pistol range as its in the borough. I have been a member there for 25 yrs. The fee to join is $10 to join + $10 a year + $3 for an archery button to help with the costs of targets. After that its just $10 a year + the button if you use the range. The club has Paper Archery course, Trout pond for fishing, Trap shoots, Pool teams, Dart teams, And a bar/social quarters open 7 days a week. You know the kind of place, Shoot, Drink, BS, Laugh, Go home.
    Topton fish and game does some of those kind of pistol shoots.
    Shartesville Fish and Game shares the Rifle/Pistol range with the Hamburg Rifle and Pistol Club. I know the Hamburg R&PC does special shoots including Cowboy Action Shoots. I'm not sure what else but I know theres more. Club is located at the Shartlesville Exit I-78. North past the Loves truck stop, Stay to the right at the "Y" in the road, About a 1/2 mile you'll see the sign on the right at a stone driveway. The club is back that road. If you come to Mountain Springs Campground you missed the "Y".

(Schuylkill County)

DUH Sorry stay to the left at the "Y"

(Berks County)

When I searched for the Kutztown club, I came up with a Kutztown Address (Looks like it isn't far from the university. (http://www.levfc.org/kutztown/home.htm).

I've shot at Topton once but I think they only have a few targets setup for practice.

Thanks for the additional info

I don't know anything about the club, but this link is on the boyertown rod and gun club website.

http://www.popodickonbowmen.com/popodickon_004.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast