Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Ready for Opener?

Looks like its 2 weeks to start of the season for early guys, a month for the rest of us...

Got your checklist done? bag packed? bow sighted in? Broadheads sharpened?

We have a bunch of new hunters so if you want list your pre-season check lists:

1. Clothing washed in scent free UV killing detergent and in a sealed bin w/ fresh earth wafers. Clothing for early season on top so I can easily grab it without digging

2. Bow sighted in w/ broad heads, quiver full attached to the bow

3. Bag packed for opening morning:
    Release
    range finder w/ new batteries
    archery gloves
    face mask
    knife and latex gloves
    folding saw
    secure rope (to attach to tree and used as drag rope)
    pull up rope
    headlamp w/ spare batteries
    few cliff bars and bottle of water
    cover scent in spray bottle (fresh earth)

4. boots cleaned and set outside

5. Stand set on front porch (away from smokers) and ready to be used

is it hunting season yet!?!??!?! :P

Good luck this year guys, AND BE SAFE!!! WEAR YOUR HARNESS IN THE STAND!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ready for Opener?

1. New bow is sighted it at 20 yards (one pin 10-30 yards).
    2. Will test out new BH's this week if I can find a place to safely shoot, if not I will be going into the stand with that little piece of unknown (I have a gut feeling that they will fly pretty much like the field points ).
    3. Wash what now??? Pulled out the camo, still fits just fine, all I need to do is see if my new Tree Spider Speed Harness fits over my clothes or if I need to put it under a layer.
    4. Stands were put up last week.
    5. I'm itchin' real bad to get out there.

(Wyoming County)

I've been shooting all summer, and I'm excited to get out there with my hoyt. Done a ton of scouting, but I think the recent flooding is going to ruin my hunting spot. I have no idea how the deer are going to cross the creek now. Guess I'll have to spend more time in the woods .
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by kx90 View Post
    2. Will test out new BH's this week if I can find a place to safely shoot, if not I will be going into the stand with that little piece of unknown (I have a gut feeling that they will fly pretty much like the field points ).
    3. Wash what now??? Pulled out the camo, still fits just fine, all I need to do is see if my new Tree Spider Speed Harness fits over my clothes or if I need to put it under a layer.
    Wash and D-scent the camo.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooker8 View Post
    I've been shooting all summer, and I'm excited to get out there with my hoyt. Done a ton of scouting, but I think the recent flooding is going to ruin my hunting spot. I have no idea how the deer are going to cross the creek now. Guess I'll have to spend more time in the woods .
    You have 2 weeks before hunting starts creeks should dwindle by them.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by kx90 View Post
    you realllly should shoot the BH's, especially if they are new. I've had broadheads shoot like field points and shoot like shit, same weight, same arrows, same bow...

fun story.

I picked up some Crimson Talons (they looked cool), was shooting about a 7" group at 20 yards, took them off, put on some G5 Montecs, shooting 2" group at 30 yards. Shot some Slick Tricks, 3" group at 30 yards. Shot some Muzzy's, 1/2 shot great, 1/2 were barely hitting the target...

the broadheads WILL fly differently out of different bows. You need to shoot them before season, you need to confirm they are hitting point and they are flying accurate on the arrows... otherwise its like shooting FMJ's all the time and then putting HP's in your rifle and going to hunting without sighting in... its just bad form
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Stand is set, gear is all set. All I have left to is descent the clothes and wait for my new bow to show up today. My old bow broke a limb two weeks ago and I was pissed. Can't find a replacement so I picked up a new Parker. Just have to get it set up, tuned and sighted and I'll be ready to rock after lot of practice sessions with it.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lehigh County)

I just need to de-scent my hunting clothes. My stand has been set up since last year, been shooting my bow all summer. I am still waiting for my doe tags to come in the mail. The PGC still hasn't cashed the check.....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    You have 2 weeks before hunting starts creeks should dwindle by them.
    It's not the creek, but the bank is now a cliff where they come down. They haven't been in the field lately. I do have plenty of time to scout though.
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    Wash and D-scent the camo.
    Never have before, I see no reason to start now. Where I sit I'm typically up-wind to the deer in most instances. They've never winded me. I've been caught standing up or drawing back but never scented.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    you realllly should shoot the BH's, especially if they are new. I've had broadheads shoot like field points and shoot like shit, same weight, same arrows, same bow...

fun story.

I picked up some Crimson Talons (they looked cool), was shooting about a 7" group at 20 yards, took them off, put on some G5 Montecs, shooting 2" group at 30 yards. Shot some Slick Tricks, 3" group at 30 yards. Shot some Muzzy's, 1/2 shot great, 1/2 were barely hitting the target...

the broadheads WILL fly differently out of different bows. You need to shoot them before season, you need to confirm they are hitting point and they are flying accurate on the arrows... otherwise its like shooting FMJ's all the time and then putting HP's in your rifle and going to hunting without sighting in... its just bad form
    I shot the Hellrazors and they shoot just like the field points, hit all in the same area too.

I have some Spitfire Maxxs I will test out before the end of the week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast