Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Shooting lead bullets?

cast bullets in an AR15 are indeed doable just dont think your going to be shooting 3K fps. with them. But its fairly easy to get a accurate load that cycles the action with little to no leading.

(York County)

The whole idea that I would want from it is "bulk-bulk" ammo for use primarily for ringer targets, working on speed shooting, transitioning target to target, double and triple tapping targets such as practicing for heavy set poppers.

Basically, the type of shooting that you shake your head while buying ammo because you know that every mag you load will only last a few short seconds and it feels like throwing your money away
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by G23neverjams View Post
    Is it just a matter of reloading the all lead bullets to low speeds so that the lead build up is limited? How many rounds can I fire during a session before the lead build up is going to affect my shooting / damage the barrel?
    I missed what caliber you are referring to, in general, No. There is not one speed threshold for lead, it is caliber specific.
    The number one concern is fit. a .001 bigger than your barrel is good, so of us go for .002.

How in the heck to you figure out how big your barrel is? Well over at about any gun online superstore, they have what is known as casting lead, or chamber lead. Its really cool to play with. I bought 2 ingots, and still have them both. Ive done 3 45/70s and 2 hand poppers and its can be used again. You Tube is your friend.

Next is the veggie wad. Its the casters secret ingredient, so dont tell anyone. you can get the store bought ones over at buffalo arms. If you are a cheapskate like me. I bought the tool ($18) and two rolls of wad paper (.030) and am still have some of the first two rolls, and have two on standby.

Dang that was a pile of typing. Well that was fit, wads, and chamber cast. Only thing left to how many rounds. Need more input.

I can tell you I shoot about 200 rounds or 45/70 a year, and have never leaded it yet.
    A 430 grains of lead going 1450fps will penetrate 8ft 6in of meat @ 100 yards

(Elk County)

You're responding to a nine year old thread. Don't expect an answer.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Never do
    A 430 grains of lead going 1450fps will penetrate 8ft 6in of meat @ 100 yards

(Washington County)

I just bought a lot of very cheap Wolf 55gr projectiles for loading 5.56 from Wideners. I wouldn’t consider using lead bullets.

I use 147gr coated blue bullets in factory Glock barrels for USPSA, as well as in several other 9mm guns. I have seen almost zero build up near the chamber after thousands of rounds. I plan on using those bullets in anything and everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12