Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Critics Still Intending To Bring Down Pigeon Shoots In Pennsylvania

http://prweb.com/releases/2008/1/prweb619931.htm

Critics Still Intending To Bring Down Pigeon Shoots In Pennsylvania

Despite mounting opposition, pigeon shoot enthusiasts still press on in pigeon shoot competitions taking place in Pennsylvania.

San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) January 15, 2008 -- Pennsylvania is the lone state in the U.S. where pigeon shoots are still taking place. Despite mounting opposition from animal rights groups and others, a handful of clubs still stage shoots in the State.

During these shoots, pigeon are they catapulted from a metal box and then a shooter about 30 yards away will fire, hoping to hit the bird. In these competitions, the shooter killing the most birds wins the prize money.

"It is appalling that these shoots are still taking place today. It's disgusting how they so willingly harm these birds. Some are killed instantly, while others are seriously wounded and left to die a slow death," comments Davey Jones, proprietor of Deterapigeon. "The lucky ones can hope to escape the terror and fly away to safety."

Although pigeon shoots are legal in the state, many of these clubs are being sued by groups like The Humane Society of the United States.

"The shoots are never advertised and they are not open to the public," Jones continues. "These guys are doing these shoots in secret in order to avoid a hostile public."

The Human Society takes issue with the fact that the birds are shot at close range and suffer greatly. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Human Society of the United States has been trying to stop Pennsylvania pigeon shoots since the mid 80's. The group has filed lawsuits on animal cruelty allegations and supported bills to ban the shoots - however, they have had no success.

Some supporters of the shoots have even gone so far as to say they are providing a pigeon control service. Jones however, scoffs at those remarks. "It is laughable to say they are providing pigeon control. What they are doing is brutal and cruel," Jones states.

Deterapigeon is a manufacturer of humane pigeon control methods like the anti-roosting bird spike that prevents pigeons from perching on property without injury.

Any property owner interested in learning more about humane pigeon control methods is encouraged to contact Deterapigeon.

ABOUT DETERAPIGEON
    For 10 years, Deterapigeon has been a leader in safe pigeon spike solutions in the UK. In 1995, David Jones, Director of Deterapigeon invented and patented the Defender 4 pigeon spikes which safely deter pigeons without harming them. This still remains the only pest control product recommended by the Pigeon Control Advisory Service (PiCAS).

Default Re: Critics Still Intending To Bring Down Pigeon Shoots In Pennsylvania

I'm not squeamish, but I don't see the point of a pigeon shoot. I suppose those that grew up with it see it as no big deal, but it's not for me.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Delaware County)

As an avid hunter and shooter, I have never been a fan of pidgeon shoots. BUT I never would take away a persons right to do it if they are so inclined. It's just not for me!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Chester County)

The world is better off with fewer winged rats. Foul, nasty, disease ridden critters.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Philadelphia County)

I don't want to say I'm against it, but I'm most definitely NOT for it.

This is as bad as those people who hunt animals that are corralled into a tight space.

And whats the difference between launching pigeons versus say.. puppies??

Not cool at all.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

yeah...that's not hunting, that's just killing shit.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    As an avid hunter and shooter, I have never been a fan of pidgeon shoots. BUT I never would take away a persons right to do it if they are so inclined. It's just not for me!
    I agree and I wouldn't take part but carrying it out a little this could apply to turkey shoots, deer hunting etc

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    And whats the difference between launching pigeons versus say.. puppies??
    Pigeons can fly.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    yeah...that's not hunting, that's just killing shit.
    ditto............and i hunt.

(Cambria County)

I have a solution for you guys whose guts are thoroughly wrenched when this

subject is pondered:

Please go to these shoots and shoot with your eyes closed. You will save many

birds.

Suggestion: Do not allow anyone in on your covert operation and/or be photo-

graphed. You may end up on a PETA poster.
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast