About a year or so ago I started a thread discussing what would make a fantastic hunting rifle. I received quite a bit of learned input and am appreciative. I fondled a number of the suggested weapons during the past year (senderos, Icons, M70's etc...) and none of them tickled my fancy. I thought I wanted a long heavy barrel, boy was I wrong.

Most people think long barrels are needed for accuracy and velocity. The truth is that long barrels do not really do either. Granted, longer barrels let the propellant burn behind the projectile for a longer period of time. Today, many cartridges have propellant that is tuned quite well. Long barrels are not needed, yet they remain "traditional" as most buyers of a magnum rifle cartridge wants a 24+ inch barrel, there really is no need for one.

I sound a bit crazy to the traditionalist, I know. However, testing with the exact rifle I show below with a 16.5 inch barrel shows a velocity loss of less than 5% when compared to a 24 inch barrel!!!

Enter the Ruger Frontier M77 Mk II in .300 WSM:

Blasphemy, right?!? How dare one use a short barrel for a traditional activity like hunting. I found in my research and fondling that a shorter barrel handles easier, is lighter (less forged steel) and performs similarly. Many detractor cite large muzzle blast and deafening noise when shooting a shorter barrel. I do not expect either of these things to be a problem since I wear ear protection (active headphones that amplify sounds and block out damaging sound, thanks bro for the present) and do not care about "blast."

Now more pictures:

The glass is a Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm IER scout scope. The forward mounted scope does two great things that I enjoy, it allows me to keep both eyes open and it does not impede manipulation of the action.

Here is a size comparison with my Bushmaster carbine:

Here is my ideal big game hunting weaponry:

Ruger Frontier with my 8 shot Smith and Wesson M&P R8 in .357 Magnum (5 inch barrel).

Here is a reference photo showing size again:

Now it is time go out and do some shooting...

I guess this means I have to become a reloader, this thing is expensive to feed at 2-3 bucks a round. Where will I find the time!?!