Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Steve likes semi-automatic pistols!?!?!!?? Enter the Smith and Wesson SSV Auto 9mm

Most of you whom have read my postings know I am a revolver lover. To be even more specific, I am a Smith and Wesson wheel gun fan. Ruger comes in at a much less refined second place and I really want to get my hands on a Wiley Clapp GP 100. Yet I am drifting from my point...

I do like automatic pistols, especially 9mm's. My P7 is great, yet I discovered two fantastic pistols built about twenty years ago that are in my opinion fantastic examples of what a pistol should be. The third generation Smith and Wesson 5903 and 5943 SSV's (short slide variant). Both of the below pistols have aluminum alloy frames, making them very lightweight.

The SSV was a concept that combines a full sized grip frame with a 3.5 inch barrel/slide. (Kind of like the XDM 3.8, yet only in proportions) The 5903 is a traditional DA/SA 9mm pistol, the one with the slide mounted safety in the photos. The 5943 is a DAO (very short and smooth trigger pull) pistol without a safety on the slide. Here are some pictures...

The top pistol is the 5903 SSV. (in the above picture)

The 5903 on the right has the hammer cocked for illustrative purposes.

Here is a size comparison of the 5943 to a 642 J frame.

A final photo of these two in better light.

The 5903 here in my collection is in much better cosmetic shape than the 5943. That is fine by me though, the 5943 will be tuned up for carry since I shoot it much better (being a revolver guy, the DAO trigger really is my thing) and genuinely enjoy it.

The interesting commentary about these pistols is that there really are no new ideas under the sun. These pistol came out in the early 1990's and very few were produced, yet that very same concept now in modern day is very popular. Metal framed pistols are out of favor with Smith and Wesson as well as most other manufacturers making way for the plastic fantastics.

The ideal pistol... most likely it has already been built and discontinued. If you are looking for something and cannot quite find it, look into the past and you may be surprised what you find. Glock 19's, XDM's and M&P9's do not work for everyone...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Default Re: Steve likes semi-automatic pistols!?!?!!?? Enter the Smith and Wesson SSV Auto 9m

One of my ideal pistols is an Astra A-80, which is darn near a copy of a Sig, down to the decocker lever. All metal and discontinued in the eighties. Beautiful gun. Works and shoots like new. I'll be keeping it.

Great photos, BTW.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Default Re: Steve likes semi-automatic pistols!?!?!!?? Enter the Smith and Wesson SSV Auto 9m

Makes me think, If only there were a Sig 239 with a steel frame. Metal frames give the slide a super-slick feel. The longer the frame rails, the slicker the feel. How long are the channels are the S&Ws?
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Dauphin County)

I know what you're saying about the short slide/full grip combo. I have a CZ85B which has a 4 3/4" barrel and full (16 round) double stack frame, and I think I shoot it pretty well. But I also have a CZ75 Semi-compact (which has the same full sized frame, but a 3.8" barrel/slide). It seems to me that it balances so much nicer in my hand, and I believe I shoot that pistol better and more accurately than the longer version, even though the 85 has had a trigger/spring job. I think that perhaps that frame/barrel/slide combination may be just about right for 9mm. Also, although I do not have one, many people who do have a CZ 82 in 9mm Makarov (3.8" barrel) claim they are the most accurate pistols they have ever shot, even though most are military or police surplus, and can be had for about $170-180.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Beaver County)

I have a few different S&W Gen 3 guns. Got a 1006, 4506, 4006. Although mine are full sized I think they were some of the best semi-autos ever produced. I'm glad you found something you like. It's a shame most of this line was discontinued. I was able to buy factory spare parts and replacement barrels for mine while they were available. I think I'll be having mine around for a long time.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Rockledge, Abington Township, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)

They look simular to my S&W 3913 9mm. That is also a DAO pistol. I bought mine used from a guy that only fired about 20 rounds through it and put it in a safe. It was also the first gun that I bought used.

That pistol is my everyday carry along with my S&W 642 snubbie.
    Vice President and Board Member of Philadoptables; Friends of the Philadelphia Animal Control Shelter

(Montgomery County)

Actually the DAOs in the 39 series are the 3953/54, the DAO versions of the 3913 and 3914 respectively. I have the 3913 & 3914 plus the 3953 and I agree, some of the best carry weapons SW have made in a small package. Similarly, I too, am a devotee of the 3rd Gen S&Ws, particularly in 9 mm and 45 ACP. The only "combat tupperware" S&W I own has partial Germanic tendencies as it is the SW 99 in 0,45, which is the Walter frame with an SW slide. My P99s are both Walther made in Germany, one in 9, one in 0.40. Dave_n

(Montgomery County)

My fault, the 3913 is a SAO, wasn't thinking. Thanks for the correction.
    Vice President and Board Member of Philadoptables; Friends of the Philadelphia Animal Control Shelter

(Montgomery County)

Semantics are indeed important. The 3913 is DA/SA. not SAO or DAO. SAO means single action only, which means the hammer has to be cocked for the handgun to fire. In the case of the 3913 you can cock the hammer by pulling the trigger, making it double action. Subsequent shots have the hammer cocked by the motion of the slide.

DAO is double action only. This means that when the trigger is pulled, the hammer is cocked and released. This is the only way to fire the weapon. Does this make sense now???
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

I do understand the differances, but the hammerless guns confuse me sometimes.

My 3913 does not have an exposed hammer, therefore, I can not cock the hammer, therefore it would be DAO ???
    Same with my J frame 642.

Here is my 3913;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast