Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Moving to PA from CO

Hey Ladies and Gents,

I'm moving to SEPA in a couple of months from Colorado. I have my resident CCW permit (guess that's "LCTF" in PA) and a NR CCW permit from Utah. So even if I have to immediately surrender my CO license with my move, the NR permit from Utah allows me to still carry in PA until I receive my new license.

What I am curious about is if anyone knows about someone that is transferring into PA what the process is. I had to take a CO NRA course for my CO CCW and then another UT NRA course for that license. I'm sure that PA requires something along the same lines, but is there any leeway given for someone transferring in?

Besides that, the county processes even seem somewhat different. Currently, we're considering Delco, Montco, and Bucks. I get the feeling from the forum that Montco is a pain in the ass to deal with and requires additional information. Like, what is a PD check card? ...and what should the normal process be?

Thanks,
    Phil

PS
    I'm happy to see that Philly cannot outlaw LCTF. Denver tried to do it here years ago, and it was struck down by a state statute similar to your own.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Moving to PA from CO

PA has no training requirement. The "normal" process should be:

You submit and application and $20 fee, and in 45 days or less you either receive the license or a formal denial, which you then have the right to appeal. We are a shall issue state, so if your legal status hasn't changed since you obtained the other licenses, you should sail through the PA process.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

I had to take the UT-style class, qualifying, etc. for my KY permit in the late '90's. I come here, and it's basically a $25 Sheriff's Department Tax Stamp in Allegheny Co. (Pittsburgh).

Root for the STILLERS and you'll fit in just fine.

Thanks Gents. Sounds simple enough. I just hope that I don't run into a sheriff's office in one of those 3 counties that tries to hamper the progress.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MBAVet View Post
    Thanks Gents. Sounds simple enough. I just hope that I don't run into a sheriff's office in one of those 3 counties that tries to hamper the progress.
    In PA you have to go to the sheriff's office of the county you live in.

Bucks is very easy and convenient. You can either go to the county courthouse (Doylestown, walk with LTCF in hand) or a satellite office (Levittown, they tell you up to two weeks, but they called me 2 days later).

I have lived in Bucks County my whole life, so if you have any questions about the area let me know.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Delaware County)

Delco works pretty much the same way. You go to the Sheriff's office (located in the main Courthouse building), fill out the form, pay the $25 fee and wait. They might contact your employer and/or references. Assuming you don't have a criminal record you should be good-to go. You'll get a letter from them in a couple of weeks telling you to come-in and pick up your license. In 5 years they'll send you a renewal form.

You can download the form ahead of time (but don't sign it until you're in front of the clerk):

http://www.co.delaware.pa.us/sheriff/weapons.html

I think that the only county that really hassles applicants is Philadelphia. Don't move there and you should be okay.