Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Please assist with comparing these ....

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post

I am familiar with the differences in the calibers and their effect on the BG's.....

I am unfamiliar with the "safe action style" firearm that is the rage nowdays

I currently CC a .44 Tracker and a S&W 411.

While I appreciate your abbreviated and albiet brief breakdown I was hoping for something a bit more detail oriented.

My visit tothe gunstore and the "feel" of the firearm will not tell me any underlining flaws or red flags that my exist with each. A Lorcin .25 may "feel" right but we know what a quality piece they are...
    Sorry if my oversimplification came off as an insult to your intelligence. I see that you are new here so I have no way of knowing how much firearms knowledge you already have. You seemed to be stuck between 9mm and .40, so I pointed out the main differences between the two calibers.

As for the gun itself, I can tell you that I own a Glock 19 and I'm very happy with it. I've carried it daily for 3 years and have never had a malfunction. I don't have thousands of rounds through it, but surely over one thousand, and I am confident that it will protect me if I need it.

I've never shot a Springfield XD but I've handled them many times, and there are a few notable differences between them and a Glock. The bore axis is higher, which will result in more muzzle flip. The slide is slightly wider, and the gun is overall slightly heavier. There is also a backstrap safety, which I am not a fan of. Some people might find comfort in the extra safety; it's just a matter of preference.

I don't know anything about the Ruger or Walther.

The Sigma is probably not the best choice unless you are on a really tight budget, and do not want to buy anything used. For only a little more, you can get yourself a Smith and Wesson M&P, which has a very good reputation. The Sigma is known for a very heavy, crappy trigger.

The guns you posted are all striker fired, so there is not much to be said about differences, other than the ergonomics. I still say you should go with whatever is most comfortable for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    My opinion would stay the same, the G23. There are a couple of HK compacts that are not as thin as the Glock, but would be my personal carry choice because of the better accuracy and I like the more vertical angle of the HK grip. The G23 may be just a tick easier to conceal, but does not have the features of the HK's. Both are lightweight and reliable, and very rustproof.

456 - Though I agree with Glock 19 or 23 your mentioning of the H&K is invalid because it not considered in the OP's original listing of options. That's your PO which could be TMI.

I'd with Glocks then PPQs, then XDs, then M&Ps then Rugers SR9 or 40s.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    There is also a backstrap safety, which I am not a fan of. Some people might find comfort in the extra safety; it's just a matter of preference.
    Is this a similar function as the grip/backstrap safety on a 1911 ?

I assume it must be depressed in order for the striker to engage on a trigger pull.

PS thanks for the feedback I do appreciate it , I could have been a bit more detailed in my orginal post.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Bucks County)

Glock 19

Springfield Armory XD 9mm
    I have experience with these, but lopsided: I've carried and shot a G19 for years. I owned an XD Service size in 9mm (older model -- maybe 5 years ago version) for a week or so -- got it in trade, then sold it.

You'll be happy with either, and there's nothing you can really say is a defect in either.

I prefer the Glock trigger (which could just be that I'm used to it), but to me, the XD trigger was just a littler more "revolver-like" -- the trigger pull and reset seemed a little longer in the XD compared to the Glock, but the XD trigger seemed smoother in its travel...less stacking the way the Glock does.

A long time revolver guy might find the XD an easier segue.

(Centre County)

Out of all you have listed I have experience with the G19 and 23, but mostly with the 23. The mid-sized Glocks are very versitile and can easily be concealed, but don't have a craptastically small grip. The .40 is a snappy round but since alot of gov't and po-po agencies use it as a service round, there is alot of great SD/HD ammo choices. Also, you can get a conversion barrel for a G23 to shoot 9mm, with appropriate mags.

Personally, I'd go with a G19 and call it a day. A great gun with alot of aftermarket support that is usually very reliable. Good luck.

Would you consider an M&P??
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Bucks County)

Is this a similar function as the grip/backstrap safety on a 1911 ?

I assume it must be depressed in order for the striker to engage on a trigger pull.

PS thanks for the feedback I do appreciate it , I could have been a bit more detailed in my orginal post.
    I don't know how they work because I avoid guns with excess safeties, but I can say that the slide cannot be pulled back unless the backstrap safety is depressed. That would be an annoyance to me, because sometimes I need to hold the gun in a weird position while clearing it, to avoid pointing it in an unsafe direction. For example, have you ever had to clear a gun while sitting in your car? You might end up fighting with the backstrap safety in that situation. Or if you are under pressure and trying to clear a malfunction, you don't want something that can possibly interfere with your ability to rack the slide.

Like I said, some people love the extra safety, and it's all preference. It might not turn out to be a problem once you get used to it. For a 1911 I think it has it's place because they have such light trigger pulls. But for a striker fired gun, not so much. Just my opinion.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    Would you consider an M&P??

Do they make a M&P without a thumb safety ? Please look back to my 3rd post , it clarifies my orginal a bit.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Please assist with comparing these ....

you have selected some great handguns. the only one of the bunch i would avoid is the sigma line. s+w makes some great guns but not this particular line. try the fit on all of your choices, narrow down the ones you like. 9 or 40 is also a personal choice, don,t let anyone tell you a 9 won,t get the job done it,s been doing it for years. if you can try and shoot as many as you can. this will narrow the field even more. then look at features and overall ergonomics that you like. last item would then be cost and availability. good luck shopping it is almost as much fun as buying and shooting what you got. red dog

(Monroe County)

Do they make a M&P without a thumb safety ? Please look back to my 3rd post , it clarifies my orginal a bit.

Yes they do.

Personally when I was making my choice of CC weapon I fired a bunch of them and then chose the one I was able to make the most accurate hits with the quickest. It happened to be a Glock 26 but only slightly better than the M&P. This may be the way to go as none of the firearms you mentioned have any safety or reliabiltiy issues, certainly nothing to compare to a Lorcin.

*the M&P I tried had an aftermarket part for the sear and trigger (APEX?)which apparently makes a large improvement over the factory standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    456 - mentioning of the H&K is invalid because it not considered in the OP's original listing of options. That's your PO which could be TMI.
    I didn't know there was a forum police for unauthorized honorable mentions. I guess I deserve to be rebuked since I tried to out think the OP. Sorry.
    Last edited by harold63; September 2nd, 2011 at 06:06 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast