Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: What did you buy yourself today (Photo thread)...

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Does Jamis have a transferable lifetime warranty?

I would hesitate buying any carbon fiber bike used, as when there is a crack in a fiber carbon bike, even a small one, it can be catastrophic. Have had carbon fiber bikes in the past and have had good luck with them, but also heard stories about the catastrophic failures.
    Jamis's frame warranty is only for the original owner. That's OK - the bike is in excellent condition, I checked the frame over carefully before I bought it, and I only paid 20% of new, so I'm not risking much. I'm not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I only paid 20% of new, so I'm not risking much.
    Except major bodily injury.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Northampton County)

Jesus, smokin deal. Congrats!

Jumped on a Craigslist deal for a full-carbon frame Jamis road bike. It's a 2011 model but shows very little wear. Originally $1750, listed at $400, paid $375. He included a frame-mounted pump, two bottle cages, and a tool bag. Went for a ride tonight in the city, ran into a friend, and she was drooling over it, jealous of the deal. That's my reward for checking Craigslist almost daily for months.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Does Jamis have a transferable lifetime warranty?

I would hesitate buying any carbon fiber bike used, as when there is a crack in a fiber carbon bike, even a small one, it can be catastrophic. Have had carbon fiber bikes in the past and have had good luck with them, but also heard stories about the catastrophic failures.
    All this time I thought I had to save my money for a Corvette to attract drooling chicks

(Chester County)

Jamis's frame warranty is only for the original owner. That's OK - the bike is in excellent condition, I checked the frame over carefully before I bought it, and I only paid 20% of new, so I'm not risking much. I'm not worried.
    Had one of the first carbon bikes made - a Vitus Carbon-7 and put over 10,000 miles on it in Hawaii - training rides, century rides, periodically commuting to work (18 mi. each way), time trials, the Ride to the Sun (Maui - from sea level to the top of Haleakala Crater), routine circle island rides (OAHU -112 miles), etc. It didn't even feel like there was a bike under the saddle.

Then moved to another state and put another 5K miles on it. No repairs were ever required. Just pulled the chain each week, dropped it in a quart jar filled with acetone (let it soak over night), wiped any schmutz off the bike and sprockets, and after remounting the chain, it was good to go.

You got a deal/steal...

When I learned they made fighter plane components out of carbon fiber, I was good to go...

You know, they make rifle barrels out of that stuff now too..
    - bamboomaster

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Had one of the first carbon bikes made - a Vitus Carbon-7 and put over 10,000 miles on it in Hawaii - training rides, century rides, periodically commuting to work (18 mi. each way), time trials, the Ride to the Sun (Maui - from sea level to the top of Haleakala Crater), routine circle island rides (OAHU -112 miles), etc. It didn't even feel like there was a bike under the saddle.

Then moved to another state and put another 5K miles on it. No repairs were ever required. Just pulled the chain each week, dropped it in a quart jar filled with acetone (let it soak over night), wiped any schmutz off the bike and sprockets, and after remounting the chain, it was good to go.

You got a deal/steal...

When I learned they made fighter plane components out of carbon fiber, I was good to go...

You know, they make rifle barrels out of that stuff now too..
    I had one of the first carbon fiber mountain bikes, a Y-22 from the 90's. Loved it.

Paid about $1800 in 1995, about the equivalent of $7200 in today's dollars. Don't know if I would spend that much again on a bike.

The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Bucks County)

Back to our regularly scheduled program of firearms, btw I’m a big bike guy too guys. Have a full carbon specialized road bike. Anyways I bit the proverbial bullet and found a bnib Hudson H9 for way too cheap to not take a chance. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet and will update once I do.

Thanks,
    Joe

19CF3CB3-8D03-4097-9BFF-3C190792D96F.jpg6924F149-5EC3-4C9A-B2EF-9858D157CDB5.jpg

(Tioga County)

Not all carbon fibre is the same and much has been learned over the decades how to make it stronger, lighter and more durable.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Not all carbon fibre is the same and much has been learned over the decades how to make it stronger, lighter and more durable.
    Agree 100% newer carbon bikes like I have have to have weight added to them if your are competing in uci races. They’re so light and rigid now they’re unbelievable and well worth the investment if you are a serious rider!

(Cumberland County)

You know how it goes with deals - two good one's today with a bundle Don't really need another Glock 17 but love Gen 2's so..... And then an unfired Charter Arms Goldfinger 32 magnum cheap - sign me up. My daughters first gun was a Charter Arms Pink Lady in 32 mag so figured I'd join her - lol. Put 'em in their cases and lets make a deal!

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 1346 of 1684 FirstFirst ... 346846124612961336134213431344134513461347134813491350135613961446 ... LastLast