Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Re: What did you buy yourself today (Photo thread)...

My dad tried to "acquire" a 1911 after WWII. It was pretty common. He had it in his duffel wrapped in a towel. When he got home, the Cosmoline outline of a 1911 on a towel was all he had.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(York County)

I guess Vet bring back was a poor choice of words the seller I bought the last Inland from posted it as being owned by a WWII Vet I guess I just assumed it was something he brought back and since he has since passes away there is no one to ask at this point. The collector I bought it from I've bought rifles from in the past his stuff is usually top notch and in really good condition. Here's a quote from his listing "All as found in a WWII Vet's closet before he passed Never changed any parts" I really don't care how the old guy got it it's mine now and it's nice LOL
    Every day's a Saturday

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    My dad tried to "acquire" a 1911 after WWII. It was pretty common. He had it in his duffel wrapped in a towel. When he got home, the Cosmoline outline of a 1911 on a towel was all he had.
    Did someone go in his bag and steal the gun or was it searched and the gun confiscated by superiors?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

About 5 or 6 years ago my brother purchased a large amount of military collectibles from a Korean/Vietnam war veteran who was terminally ill and had no children to leave the goods too. The lot included a prestin Korean War era M1 carbine, matching bayonet, mag pouches, and a crap ton of GI mags in original wrapping. When asked if this was his issued weapon he said no not that exact one however when the army is switched from one weapon to a newly issued rifle (M16) there is typically a lot of commotion, paperwork, and sometimes things go missing and are never found. I think there was a wink in there at the end from the older gentleman.

In any event my brother has a beauty of a rifle and a ton of other cool stuff spanning a few conflicts. He promised the an he wouldn't resell it or split it up.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Did someone go in his bag and steal the gun or was it searched and the gun confiscated by superiors?
    A good question. He never got in trouble. He just knows it disappeared.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    A good question. He never got in trouble. He just knows it disappeared.
    Sounds like the pistol was pilfered.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    I guess Vet bring back was a poor choice of words the seller I bought the last Inland from posted it as being owned by a WWII Vet I guess I just assumed it was something he brought back and since he has since passes away there is no one to ask at this point. The collector I bought it from I've bought rifles from in the past his stuff is usually top notch and in really good condition. Here's a quote from his listing "All as found in a WWII Vet's closet before he passed Never changed any parts" I really don't care how the old guy got it it's mine now and it's nice LOL
    So it did or didn't come with War trophy documents?

Now I'm really confused...

(York County)

If you're asking if I have the original owners war trophy papers (if they exist) for the rifle I posted the answer is no I bought it from another collector. I thought your original question was you were trying to find out what people mean by "Vet Bring Back" firearms which is why I posted the link to the info. I thought covered it but as others have said that's probably not the case for US issued firearms and if that's true than the original owner who was a WWII Vet per the info in the ads description where I got it probably just purchased it after the war somewhere just like I did. Not sure where all the confusion came into play unless it was my poor wording of my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    So it did or didn't come with War trophy documents?

Now I'm really confused...
    Every day's a Saturday

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    If you're asking if I have the original owners war trophy papers (if they exist) for the rifle I posted the answer is no I bought it from another collector. I thought your original question was you were trying to find out what people mean by "Vet Bring Back" firearms which is why I posted the link to the info. I thought covered it but as others have said that's probably not the case for US issued firearms and if that's true than the original owner who was a WWII Vet per the info in the ads description where I got it probably just purchased it after the war somewhere just like I did. Not sure where all the confusion came into play unless it was my poor wording of my original post.
    Post #10882
    I read it as you were saying it came with papers.
    Sorry for the confusion.

Carry on.

(York County)

LOL I guess I was the one confused my response in that post was trying to explain my opinion of what a "Vet bring back" is. in answer to your original question which was

"So it's stolen US property?

I've never understood the "vet bring back" when it's a US issued weapon.

I'm seriously asking here.
    Was it really stolen or was it actually purchased at some point by said vet?"

Not a big deal I'm thinking some came back with papers and other were just sold off as military surplus. I'm under the impression that when I see Vet Bring Back it means that it was one that was sent home by said Vet with the proper paperwork.

I have documents that my Dad got from the military for items he brought back from when he was in WWII but none of the items were US issued firearms just foreign military items like swords, a cool pocket watch, a pair of pearl handle derringers and some other misc stuff.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Post #10882
    I read it as you were saying it came with papers.
    Sorry for the confusion.

Carry on.
    Every day's a Saturday

Page 1089 of 1684 FirstFirst ... 89589989103910791085108610871088108910901091109210931099113911891589 ... LastLast