Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Re: What did you buy yourself today (Photo thread)...

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Clearly I am an adult that makes very mature adult purchases

A 16" barreled Heritage rough rider
    Hey the Joker pulled one of those out of his pants and shot the bat jet down with it in the Michael Keaton Batman movie.

(Montgomery County)

Besides it being obviously ridiculous, they're great little guns for the price. Speaking of which, it's so damn cheap you'd be justified in taking a hacksaw to it if you ever feel like it....

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Besides it being obviously ridiculous, they're great little guns for the price. Speaking of which, it's so damn cheap you'd be justified in taking a hacksaw to it if you ever feel like it....
    If I was inclined to get one with a shorter barrel I wouldn't have spent the extra $50

(Bucks County)

Sometimes you just have to say, "Go for it!" I've done that a time or two.

Looks like fun!

Just far enough from Philly, Pennsylvania

Am I the only one who thinks it needs a butt stock like Mortimer's buntline special in For A Few Dollars More?

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer View Post
    I didn’t buy this, I got it from my younger brother who has had it in his closet since shortly after our Dad passed back in ‘91. He doesn’t want/use it, so I got it, along with another, an early bolt action Savage Sporter 23B in .25-20. I started working on, it needs some refurb.

This is a Stevens semi-auto .22, labeled “Springfield 87M”. Stevens made a bunch of these and similar models from the early ‘30s on and they were marked Stevens, Fox, and Monkey Ward. This is probably post-war and was configured with the military style stock and M1 looking front sight to attract GIs and kids. This one acquired a peep sight somewhere in its travels.

This is the first rifle I ever shot, probably 55 years ago. It still appears to be in good order although it was a dry as a popcorn fart when I disassembled it; my brother never used it. A short range trip next week is in the works to check operation and see how well I can use the peep sight.

The 87M was perhaps the pinnacle of the development of the Savage / Stevens / Springfield Model 6, aka "gill gun" for the gas vent slots on the left of the receiver, and aka "click-clack" for the sound that the action makes when fired. I have an 87M that's stamped Sears. Contrary to gunshow legend, these were NOT military trainers, and never were. They were intended for kids as a step up from a BB gun, and were appealing to WWII and Korea vets who bought them for their kids.

The action is interesting. If you fire an 87M or any other Model 6 derivative, or a High Standard Sport King or its derivative Sears Model 25, if you fire a shot ("click") and hold the trigger back, the bolt stays to the rear until you release the trigger, at which time the bolt feeds and closes on a fresh round ("clack"). As with most "click-clacks", my 87M, Model 6, Sport King rifle and carbine, and my Sears Model 25s are remarkably reliable with most 22LR ammo.

The original rear sight is a large flat spring steel stamping that looks like a cheap stamped levergun rear sight on steroids, with the rear sight leaf being rounded with a circular aperture or "ghost ring" as they are called today. They are fitted with an elaborate flanged elevator. The sights were and are prone to breaking from embrittlement and are pure Unobtanium today. At a Harrisburg gun show ~10-12 yrs ago I saw a customer pay Ken Bean (The Sight Man) $295 for an intact 87M rear sight and elevator and he was as excited as a little kid at Christmas. Ken was pretty happy, too.

I'v seen intact 87M rifles in VG-EX condition SELL for as much as $850. A western PA gun shop had a beater 87M in a mildewed stock and missing the rear sight and trigger guard price tagged at $350 and a couple months later it was gone. $500-$650 is fairly common for guns missing the original rear sight and now wearing an aftermarket sight.

Congrats!

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; December 1st, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The 87M was perhaps the pinnacle of the development of the Savage / Stevens / Springfield Model 6, aka "gill gun" for the gas vent slots on the left of the receiver, and aka "click-clack" for the sound that the action makes when fired. I have an 87M that's stamped Sears. Contrary to gunshow legend, these were NOT military trainers, and never were. They were intended for kids as a step up from a BB gun, and were appealing to WWII and Korea vets who bought them for their kids.

The action is interesting. If you fire an 87M or any other Model 6 derivative, or a High Standard Sport King or its derivative Sears Model 25, if you fire a shot ("click") and hold the trigger back, the bolt stays to the rear until you release the trigger, at which time the bolt feeds and closes on a fresh round ("clack"). As with most "click-clacks", my 87M, Model 6, Sport King rifle and carbine, and my Sears Model 25s are remarkably reliable with most 22LR ammo.

The original rear sight is a large flat spring steel stamping that looks like a cheap stamped levergun rear sight on steroids, with the rear sight leaf being rounded with a circular aperture or "ghost ring" as they are called today. They are fitted with an elaborate flanged elevator. The sights were and are prone to breaking from embrittlement and are pure Unobtanium today. At a Harrisburg gun show ~10-12 yrs ago I saw a customer pay Ken Bean (The Sight Man) $295 for an intact 87M rear sight and elevator and he was as excited as a little kid at Christmas. Ken was pretty happy, too.

I'v seen intact 87M rifles in VG-EX condition SELL for as much as $850. A western PA gun shop had a beater 87M in a mildewed stock and missing the rear sight and trigger guard price tagged at $350 and a couple months later it was gone. $500-$650 is fairly common for guns missing the original rear sight and now wearing an aftermarket sight.

Congrats!

Noah
    Thanks, Noah! Appreciate the background information. Mine certainly is not completely original but the connection to my father and the teenager trying to shoot rats with it makes it an important new member of my collection.

Now to get the old Savage Sporter back into fighting form. The springs and magazine are available, even firing pins if I need one, and with luck, Mike Acri may have some ammo on his weird-stuff shelf.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Elk County)

I didn't buy, but traded into a really nice Savage 99H Carbine with barrel band in 30-30. The carbines, with or without bands, are the only Savage 99s that I collect. This one is original, no extra holes, mint bore, no rust, and in overall really nice condition. Sorry no pic, but I don't do self-hosted pics anymore since the Photobucket fiasco.

Also picked up a Remington 600 in the very rare 35 Remington chambering, one of my favorite cartridges. Metal is 98%, and wood is maybe 95% with a couple small "character" stains and dings from honest use. Was definitely scoped at one time, but I'm just going to plug the holes as I can see the front bead and the pistol target type rear sight mounted forward and the vent rib. I had a 600 Mohawk in .222 I bought new upon turning 18, and used it on woodchucks and coyotes into the mid-80s when I sold it to a friend who desperately wanted it. He's used it on deer ever since, and at a recent class reunion he told me he still has it, and still uses it every year for deer, and it's still delivers dime-sized ORH accuracy.

I don't hunt anymore, but I like to develop cast bullet loads and plink with the 30-30, 30-40, 303 British, 35 Remington, 38-55, 375 Winchester, 405 Winchester, 444 Marlin, 45-70, and other classic cartridges.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Gave into the Black Friday onslaught of deal advertisements and picked up a few new lights. I ordered at 1am on Black Friday and they were in my mail box on Monday afternoon.

Another PL-Pro for my last (yeah right) AR pistol build, and I decided to upgrade from only carrying a key chain light right now to a small pocket EDC light. The two smaller i1R2 Eos rechargeable key chain lights were free bee's, and they are pretty damn nice.

Updated EDC gear with the i3T EOS 180 lumen single AAA battery light.

Last edited by Hodgie; December 4th, 2019 at 12:12 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Acquired a nice 1942 stamped Berretta 1934 bring back today. Was sellers Dad's who brought it back. Came with some nice late 30's and early 40's ammo Holster odd, looks like a period correct with the military belt type clip but guessing someone did some rawhide work, and burned their name into it - lol.

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 1464 of 1684 FirstFirst ... 464964136414141454146014611462146314641465146614671468147415141564 ... LastLast