Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default holster for my S&W 686

Looking for a holster for this puppy...

Not a carry handgun but I would like to keep in on a holster in the safe. I want to use it for my go to HD but don't want to keep it loaded without a holster.

the local shop did not carry any so I will need to get in online

(Centre County)

Default Re: holster for my S&W 686

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post

Not a carry handgun but I would like to keep in on a holster in the safe. I want to use it for my go to HD but don't want to keep it loaded without a holster.
    Please explain. It seems like an extra step for an SD/HD gun (when you may need to access it quickly). Also, storing it in a holster can cause rusting issues. Not attacking, just wondering.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd, my reccommendation; http://www.simplyrugged.com/
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Montgomery County)

I know it is an extra step but I am somewhat new to firearm. In an stressful situation I don’t want to reach for my gun and put my finger on the trigger by mistake. If it is on a holster I think I will be able to handle the gun safer.

I could be wrong but I think when it comes to firearms, people need to do what they feel constable with.

Also, I think my wife will be feel better about using the 686 over my Glock and since she does not get as much range time as I do the holster might be a better setup.

BTW, I don’t mind you asking at all…in fact I was wondering what others would think about that. Wondering if others feel the same way.

Not a great idea to store a gun in a holster. In my opinion it also offers no additional safety to the gun handling aspect and a lot of revolver holsters do not cover the trigger anyway.

You are talking about a long, heavy pull to fire your 686 in the DA mode. Highly unlikely that will happen accidently. A holster is no substitute for good trigger discipline - until you learn that you probably shouldn't be handling firearms (a bit harsh, but safety with a firearm can be, literally, a matter of life and death).

Hope you don't take offense, just calling them as I see them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Not a great idea to store a gun in a holster. In my opinion it also offers no additional safety to the gun handling aspect and a lot of revolver holsters do not cover the trigger anyway.

You are talking about a long, heavy pull to fire your 686 in the DA mode. Highly unlikely that will happen accidently. A holster is no substitute for good trigger discipline - until you learn that you probably shouldn't be handling firearms (a bit harsh, but safety with a firearm can be, literally, a matter of life and death).

Hope you don't take offense, just calling them as I see them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    No offence taking...I think I have good trigger control. I joined a range the same day I got my first firearm. I did not keep it loaded in my house until a few weeks of shooting it.

I now the DA trigger makes it very hard I am just trying to be more careful thats all...

But again, I will not be have a firearm is I did not think I new how to handle them...

(Montgomery County)

If you plan on using a holster as a "container" of sorts, make sure it is not leather. Storing a weapon in a leather holster is a great way to induce corrosion. Stainless steel also corrodes, so be careful. What may suit you best is an el cheapo nylon rig... which do not work so well on a belt.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Pike County)

Store your gun in a Bore-Store while in the safe. This is a silicon inpregnated gun sock. It keeps your gun nice and safe.

A belt holster is for carrying your gun. There are endless posibilities to look at here. For what it's worth,like FLICK I use Simply Rugged holsters.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by indiandave View Post
    Store your gun in a Bore-Store while in the safe. This is a silicon inpregnated gun sock. It keeps your gun nice and safe.

A belt holster is for carrying your gun. There are endless posibilities to look at here. For what it's worth,like FLICK I use Simply Rugged holsters.
    I keep it on a "gun sock" not but not idea for HD...I gues I will stay with my G19 for HD for now...which I keep on my Crossbreed holster...but will change that now that I know better :-)