Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Anticipating recoil? Maybe?

I haven't been shooting much this summer, and have been twice in the last week which was enjoyable for the most part. I discovered something but not sure what it is exactly.

I was shooting my 357 revolver (38s) and then switched out to my 22LR revolver. It was as if i was flinching and realized there really wasnt any recoil with the 22. It was an odd thing and not sure how to get rid of that expectation of recoil.

Any suggestions? Maybe some more classes? Did an NRA pistol course quite awhile ago.

Default Re: Anticipating recoil? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I haven't been shooting much this summer, and have been twice in the last week which was enjoyable for the most part. I discovered something but not sure what it is exactly.

I was shooting my 357 revolver (38s) and then switched out to my 22LR revolver. It was as if i was flinching and realized there really wasnt any recoil with the 22. It was an odd thing and not sure how to get rid of that expectation of recoil.

Any suggestions? Maybe some more classes? Did an NRA pistol course quite awhile ago.
    Dryfire a lot until you can get the mechanics down. The live fire with light rounds -- working on just letting the recoil move the gun in your hand without your compensating or anticipating. Don't switch to higher power ammo until you get rid of the flinch. It just takes a lot of practice.

Flinching is one of those things that is hard to get over. The best way to deal with it is to not get it in the first place (which is easier said that done). Whatever you do, don't start loading up .357 magnum loads at this point. That's a pretty much guarantee that you're going to develop a serious flinch.

(Northampton County)

+1 to what tacticalreload said.

One trick I teach is to balance a quarter on the front sight while dry firing (assuming the sight will allow for it. If not, balance a dummy round on the slide) . If the quarter falls off, you're doing something wrong - probably either flinching or squeezing the grip while firing. As I am sure you know, make absolutely sure all of the live ammo is separate from you while dry firing.

Also, like tacticalreload said, stay with the lower-recoiling pistols until the flinch is corrected, then gradually work your way up. Heavier recoil pistols have a tendency of bringing a flinch back. Carefully, intentionally and gradually working your way back to the .357 should help lower the chances that your flinch will return.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Anticipating recoil? Maybe?

Snap caps practcie - works for us all!

If you're working WITH someone at the range though, do the old trick where he stands behind you, racks the slide, but you don't KNOW whether there's a round in it or NOT! He hands you the pistol, and observes your form. Live round or no, you shouldn't "flinch" in either case, if you're doing it RIGHT.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post

your in Pgh......
    http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...-new-post.html

Ive taken a number of high quality training courses from reputable instructors , and I find dry fire and ball-and-dummy and variations on that in every entry level course, and most beyond that, that I have been in.

Dry fire will do a few things.
    It will allow you to show your brain that its alright to press the trigger. If every time you press it a small bomb goes off in your hand youll twitch, cant help that, the brain doesnt like hand explosives.
    It will aloow you to SEE what a steady sight looks like as the hammer falls. This is key, on tight shots you have to learn to see the sight lift up off the target, and this is how you get there.
    It will allow you to FEEL the perfect trigger press without distraction, cost, or range time. Most good shooters I know put many more rounds dry in than live fire.

I will caution though that without some quality initial instruction you run the risk of just doing reps of poor habits.

(Bucks County)

When I first started shooting I was guilty of this .. My buddy is a former Marine Marksman .. One day we were up at the range and he said let me see how you are doing .. He said " i put one in the chamber " ... Well i get all ready to fire and I pull the trigger and I pushed downward ... there was NOT a round in the chamber .. I looked at him and we both had a nice laugh .. After time and thinking about this everytime I was set to fire .. I corrected myself ..

His constant words to me .. " Be Surprised " when you pull the trigger ...

Brian

(Erie County)

Since you are using a revolver, put a snap cap in the wheel, along with live ammo. Then you will see just how bad you flinch, when you hit the snap cap.

BTW - do this at the range only. If you dryfire at home, do it in a room where there is no live ammo, whatsoever!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks all! I do have snap caps and i guess i need to get them out of the "bag" and use them! Initally I was using them for practice loading/unloading moreso.

I like the range idea with the odd one in the cylinder. Since i tend to shoot alone more often- i will need to get the hubby to out with me more and watch me. Plus I really do need training. I wish there was a course that was more focused on such things like flinching/proper stance/breathing/hand positioning etc. I took an NRA pistol course and it was really enjoyable but short and not a whole lot of personal one on one instruction to really watch and catch our mistakes. I cannot put out cash for a high quality course right now though so i am stuck somewhat.

Will do the dryfiring practice! thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Raystown View Post
    When I first started shooting I was guilty of this .. My buddy is a former Marine Marksman .. One day we were up at the range and he said let me see how you are doing .. He said " i put one in the chamber " ... Well i get all ready to fire and I pull the trigger and I pushed downward ... there was NOT a round in the chamber .. I looked at him and we both had a nice laugh .. After time and thinking about this everytime I was set to fire .. I corrected myself ..

His constant words to me .. " Be Surprised " when you pull the trigger ...

Brian
    I do this exact thing every time I help a new shooter. Newbies who have the right idea about sight picture and trigger pull tend to usually have decent hits for their first couple of rounds. Then it starts going downhill. That's when I give them an empty chamber. When they flinch like crazy, they are shocked at how badly they are anticipating recoil.
    Last edited by tacticalreload; September 5th, 2011 at 11:43 AM.

It's all about the front site, and your trigger break fitting the situation. Maybe this will help you,

I think this video was posted on Pafoa a few days ago by another member, can't remember at the moment. Visit their channel for other good vids.

Since you're shooting a wheel gun, google anything by either of the Miculek's. Jerry, and his wife, Kay, are expert wheel gunners.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by ForwardAssist; September 4th, 2011 at 12:04 PM.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast