Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anticipating recoil? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by ForwardAssist View Post
    It's all about the front site, and your trigger break fitting the situation. Maybe this will help you,

You know... it's easy to forget, not only was Cooper so good with a gun, but he's such a smooth and natural teacher. There are so many "big name" instructors out there today who seem to spend so much time trying to prove how "good" they are that they forget why they are really in the front of a class of students.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Thanks all! I do have snap caps and i guess i need to get them out of the "bag" and use them! Initally I was using them for practice loading/unloading moreso.

I like the range idea with the odd one in the cylinder. Since i tend to shoot alone more often- i will need to get the hubby to out with me more and watch me. Plus I really do need training. I wish there was a course that was more focused on such things like flinching/proper stance/breathing/hand positioning etc. I took an NRA pistol course and it was really enjoyable but short and not a whole lot of personal one on one instruction to really watch and catch our mistakes. I cannot put out cash for a high quality course right now though so i am stuck somewhat.

Will do the dryfiring practice! thanks again.
    This upcoming weekend:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...andy-cain.html

I think it comes around every year. There are other FIRE institute classes as well, like the extremely high value one day handgun http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...ry-course.html
    Last edited by offshorebear; September 4th, 2011 at 06:33 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by offshorebear View Post
    This upcoming weekend:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...andy-cain.html

I think it comes around every year. There are other FIRE institute classes as well, like the extremely high value one day handgun http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...ry-course.html
    and from my understanding Randy does a hell of a revolver specific course as well. But if your a wheel gun guy def jump on his class as he knows his shit with wheel guns, the 101 would be perfect for you.

(Allegheny County)

Sort of a wheel gun "gal" actually! But I am starting to appreciate the comfort of shooting a semi. (9mm S&W M&P)

Re the course - who is the actual instructor? it says trained people but not a specific person.

I don't have all the items needed ie speedloader pouches or mag pouches or an open top for the M&P so the expenses will hinder me there for a while. I would prefer to take 1 of each as they suggest 2 guns. Well, i will check for some holsters that are open top for the semi but just purchased one that has the thumb break.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Sort of a wheel gun "gal" actually! But I am starting to appreciate the comfort of shooting a semi. (9mm S&W M&P)

Re the course - who is the actual instructor? it says trained people but not a specific person.

I don't have all the items needed ie speedloader pouches or mag pouches or an open top for the M&P so the expenses will hinder me there for a while. I would prefer to take 1 of each as they suggest 2 guns. Well, i will check for some holsters that are open top for the semi but just purchased one that has the thumb break.
    What class ate you reffering to ?

Handgun 101 is taught by Randy Cain
    The Falla course I linked to is taught by Jason Falla

(Allegheny County)

It was the Handgun 101 course not the course taught by Randy re various volunteer instructors. His course looks too advanced for me but the fee isnt realistic for me right now - 2 in college buying books over $100 ea.!!

Thanks for the info. The 101 course is within reach but again buying gear which i dont plan on using (speedloader pouches/mag holders and an open top holster) dont work for me either. I am still at the basic stage.

(Allegheny County)

Handgun 101 is the 3 day Randy Cain course.

There is the One Day Handgun Clinic that is only $60 that the Fire Institute puts on. http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_on...gun_clinic.htm and http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...ry-course.html

I think your thumb break would be fine for that class. You could talk to them about the equipment requirements. Its a perfect class if you are at a basic stage.

(Allegheny County)

I am getting the 2 mixed up! yes the 101 is taught by Randy - the other one at the Fire Institute is the one not listing the instructor. Might check the FI course out re the holster. Thanks

(Allegheny County)

I've taken that class and its well worth it. I don't think they run any more after the September class until next spring.

Its a small class, so lots of personal instruction. You will leave the class knowing some very good drills that you can practice on your own time. Take advantage of it.

(Schuylkill County)

I'm no expert, but I did experience this while learning to shoot this past year. The best advice I got? is take a long deep breathe in and when you exhale out pull the trigger, slow & smooth. Training courses & expert advice will probably work better, but its a silly little suggestion that really helped me stop anticipating the recoil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12