Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Applying for LTCF

Just thought I would add my experience for what it's worth. I went in to get my LTCF this morning, on the 47th calendar day since I applied, with no approval letter in hand (haven't received it yet). I signed in at about 8:35 and there were already about 10 or so people there (they open at 8:30). After a short wait, I was called to the window and asked for my ID and approval letter. I said "I didn't get my letter yet, but I called and it said to just come in with an ID, I'm pretty sure it's been 45 days, I don't remember exactly." The woman then said "Oh, so you're checking on your status? I'll just need your ID." And sure enough, about a minute or so later, I was asked to come back and get my picture taken (which turned out horrible, she only took one photo and that was that). Interestingly, while I was signing for my license, she said "Your letter is scheduled to go out, so if you get something in the mail, disregard it."

I can only infer that this means they do process the applications and everything within the state mandated time, but then simply schedule the approval letters to be mailed out on the 45th business day. My recommendation to anyone else, as others have already stated, is to just go in on the 45th calendar day, not business day, and when they ask for your approval letter simply tell them you don't have one, but you called the number and the recorded message said to come down with your ID and check. As long as you are professional and courteous, I don't see any reason for them to give you any difficulty. For the record, I went in wearing a suit both today and at the time I applied, and always keep myself clean and well-groomed. It's my belief that people will always judge each other based on appearance, so I try to look as professional and civilized as is practical for any situation. That's just my personal choice, but so far I have avoided any unpleasant encounters and I like to think that the manner in which I present myself has a good deal of influence in that.

Just my two cents, hope someone finds this helpful.

(Philadelphia County)

Today was T +49 days for me. I didn't have a letter like many others here, but I was in the area so I decided to stop in the GPU for a status check. I signed in, was called up, and presented my driver's license. The officer disappeared to the back room and came out within a few minutes to tell me that my LTCF was not ready yet. She returned my driver's license with a sticky note on it with what appeared to be my application number, and advised me to check back in a week because they are "still processing the 2200s." I glanced at the sticky note and saw a few letters followed by a number in the "2300s."

I guess they're legitimately backed up with applications? Still violating the PA Code, nonetheless.

At least it only took 10 min. in and out.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by medic2089 View Post
    Today was T +49 days for me. I didn't have a letter like many others here, but I was in the area so I decided to stop in the GPU for a status check. I signed in, was called up, and presented my driver's license. The officer disappeared to the back room and came out within a few minutes to tell me that my LTCF was not ready yet. She returned my driver's license with a sticky note on it with what appeared to be my application number, and advised me to check back in a week because they are "still processing the 2200s." I glanced at the sticky note and saw a few letters followed by a number in the "2300s."

I guess they're legitimately backed up with applications? Still violating the PA Code, nonetheless.

legitimately taking too much time...

(Philadelphia County)

... what appeared to be my application number, and advised me to check back in a week because they are "still processing the 2200s." I glanced at the sticky note and saw a few letters followed by a number in the "2300s."

I applied at the end of April, so I'm guessing I'll be waiting at least another month if they were that backed up 3 weeks ago.

I went just after lunchtime on a Thursday and was the 6th signin sheet for the day, definitely had to stand for about an hour as the flow of people kept pretty steady. The interview was a painless 5 minutes. then another 30 minutes of waiting to get printed... We'll see if the mail comes in time for my birthday at the end of June! .

First post, long (<- relative use here, long for the time I've been into Guns about 2 years) time reader.
    Last edited by lvl99; June 3rd, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by lvl99 View Post
    I applied at the end of April, so I'm guessing I'll be waiting at least another month if they were that backed up 3 weeks ago.

I went just after lunchtime on a Thursday and was the 6th signin sheet for the day, definitely had to stand for about an hour as the flow of people kept pretty steady. The interview was a painless 5 minutes. then another 30 minutes of waiting to get printed... We'll see if the mail comes in time for my birthday at the end of June! .

First post, long (<- relative use here, long for the time I've been into Guns about 2 years) time reader.

Well, welcome to PAFOA, long time reader! Hopefully your future experiences as a Philadelphia gun owner will be a little more positive.

On a side note, with all the endless processing of LTCFs that Philly is doing, I wonder whether we will ever see some of these folks band together and stand up to the corruption in the gun permit unit and the PPD in general.

That would be inspiring.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

This is how long the whole transaction should take from application to issuance.

It's ridiculous to think it takes any longer otherwise.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm thinking I'll take off early one day this week (Wednesday) and making a trek on down, 45 calendar days passed this last Thursday. I just wish I didn't have to take time off for the possibility... or I should I just wait for my papers?

(Philadelphia County)

Cool Re: Applying for LTCF

I'm thinking I'll take off early one day this week (Wednesday) and making a trek on down, 45 calendar days passed this last Thursday. I just wish I didn't have to take time off for the possibility... or I should I just wait for my papers?
    Good news, I went on the 46th calendar day and 5 minutes after giving the pleasant lady my ID, she said have a seat and fill out this supplemental questionnaire, we'll take your picture in 5 minutes. In and out Tuesday at 12:30. Took me a while to post ... this week's been absurdly busy.

(Philadelphia County)

Good news, I went on the 46th calendar day and 5 minutes after giving the pleasant lady my ID, she said have a seat and fill out this supplemental questionnaire, we'll take your picture in 5 minutes. In and out Tuesday at 12:30. Took me a while to post ... this week's been absurdly busy.
    Congrats and thanks for the update. Good to know it might be possible to pick them up a little earlier.

Was this supplemental questionnaire just asking if you'd been arrested since you'd initially applied or something more involved?

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah, the supplemental was exactly that, ToddWY. Pretty much asks if there's anything you would like to update the unit about in your life. Then you're just one Logitech Pro9000 webcam quality photo away from getting your LTCF.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456