Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Lightbulb Applying for LTCF

Hey ladies and gentialmen.. I applied for my LTCF on Aug. 26 2011 every thing went great and the officer was very polite with me. But I have a question. I kno that Philadelphia makes applicants wait the whole 45 days to notify them if they have been approved or not, but how do you count the 45 days ? Like is it 45 days straight or 45 buessines days according to there days of operations ? I am very excited to hear from them but I wish it would come sooner. Has anyone ever been contacted by the office earlier then the 45 day limit ?

Default Re: Applying for LTCF

Hey best of luck. Philadelphia will deny your license if they can find ANY reason whatsoever to turn you down. I applied in late May, had all my paperwork in order, explained everything during the interview process and still got turned down on the basis that my sole arrest which had all of the charges thrown out (no conviction) made me "a danger to the public safety". I appealed and was finally able to get it reversed in September when I went up against the appeals board, but let me tell you it's rough.

Make sure all of your tickets are paid off, and that you have not been charged with anything. All else should be perfectly fine.

(Philadelphia County)

Did you have to wait the whole 45 days? I've never held a DL so no tickets here

(Philadelphia County)

What if I do not own a firearm but plan to purchase one in the future? Can I still apply for a LTCF?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by superfly2008 View Post
    Did you have to wait the whole 45 days? I've never held a DL so no tickets here
    The PA statute spells out 45 days. Not business days, or week days, just days. That means calendar days. Philly PD doesn't want people to have their LTCF, so they make it 45 business days in violation of the statute. They get away with it because no one with standing has taken them to task over it.

Quote Originally Posted by pub scout View Post
    What if I do not own a firearm but plan to purchase one in the future? Can I still apply for a LTCF?

Yes, it does not matter. you could purchase a firearm first, or, you could obtain your LTCF and never purchase a firearm.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The PA statute spells out 45 days. Not business days, or week days, just days. That means calendar days. Philly PD doesn't want people to have their LTCF, so they make it 45 business days in violation of the statute. They get away with it because no one with standing has taken them to task over it.
    For the record, at least in my case, they got a response to me in around 25 calendar days. Was a denial. I applied in late May, got the denial in June, appealed and won my appeal September 13th, still waiting for the permit itself to become available...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chucky View Post
    For the record, at least in my case, they got a response to me in around 25 calendar days. Was a denial. I applied in late May, got the denial in June, appealed and won my appeal September 13th, still waiting for the permit itself to become available...
    Since denial got reversed I see no reason why they can't issue on the spot. Go visit the office.

(Philadelphia County)

Hey guys just a quick update on my application. It's been 42 days so far and still nor reply from da office feels like I've been waiting for years now. I really wish this process hadn't took soo long. Hopefully by Monday I get a reply by mail? Anyone wait longer den 45 days?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by superfly2008 View Post
    Hey guys just a quick update on my application. It's been 42 days so far and still nor reply from da office feels like I've been waiting for years now. I really wish this process hadn't took soo long. Hopefully by Monday I get a reply by mail? Anyone wait longer den 45 days?
    I believe mine came in right under the mark at around 44 days. The fun part is having to go back in and then wait to have the picture taken. My first time several years ago when really quick but when I went to renew in May I had to wait around an hour to be called.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast