Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Investment Potential of AK47 and AR15 variants

I was thinking about stocking up on a few rifles as a potential invest in the event of another Obama-style gun rush a few years down the road. During the 08-09 rush, AR15s and AK47s were the hottest sellers since they were on the chopping block. While looking at different AK and AR variants, I noticed that there are some AR15s (with good reviews) that sell for about $600 at online retailers. The Romanian WASR10s sell for below $400 from some online retailers (though they have their issues). My question is this, for investment purposes, do you think it would be better to invest in 2-3 cheap AR15s or 5-6 Romanian WASR10s? Obviously, the one with greater investment reward is the preferred option. Thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Investment Potential of AK47 and AR15 variants

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    While looking at different AK and AR variants, I noticed that there are some AR15s (with good reviews) that sell for about $600 at online retailers.
    I would LOVE... to read the reviews, of a $600 rifle! Would you have any links, perchance?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Investment Potential of AK47 and AR15 variants

I'd say a couple each. No homebuilts; factory-made guns.

The have-nots will be scrambling to buy any brand. Obviously big-name brands like Colt, S&W would be primo, but when faced with none at all, any FACTORY-made AR will sell. Take advantage of the fire-sale prices now. Make sure to get M4rgerys. Today's AR fans don't know what a 20" AR is unless they see it in C.O.D.

Get WASR hi-caps, suggest U/Folders as they will be the first AKs banned. Unless you want to spend bigger on boutique-built AKs, any will do when the next ban hits.

Of course, we are purely speculating that the O will be re-upped...

But...

Given the Republican presidential alternatives and the general dislike of the ever-fucking-richening Republican-friendly honky-assed muthafuckin US corporations - while the rest of us barely fucking eke away our lives as unemployed or underemployed - that is a VERY REAL POSSIBILITY.

(Allegheny County)

I'd say save your money. It's no guarantee that there will be another "gun rush" and I certainly hope there isn't as the last thing I want is to have to overpay for every damn gun and accessory I want to buy, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if there is another gun rush due to how paranoid that gun owners tend to get.

At any rate, unless there is another scare, you will probably never get your money back out of those guns or break even at best after running around trying to sell them.
    Last edited by afultz075; August 30th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.

Truth be told, the 'return on investment' of most guns is negative, especially for very common guns (e.g., your run of the mill AK's & AR's). The only guns which become truly collectible and/or showed a dramatic increase in value are those which are only present now in very limited numbers on the market (rare variants and grandfathered banned items). Even in that case, adjusted for inflation, many of them have not made money in real terms. As an example, the SAR-48 (a Brazilian made FAL type imported prior to the 1989 ban) sold in the 1980's for around $600. Market value for these is now about $1200. In nominal terms, its price has increased by $600, but after factoring in inflation, it has actually lost monetary value in real terms.

If you want to buy some extra guns because you think the world's going to end and you will need to arm your neighbors against a horde of invading zombies, fine. If you want them as a means of protecting your fiat dollars against hyperinflation (by having physical assets with inherent value), that's fine too. If you're betting on their real price (inflation adjusted) skyrocketing because of another gun grab (real or perceived), you're likely to lose your shirt.

Guns in a lot of respects are like houses or cars. While they have intrinsic value of their own, they are not likely to make money for you in real terms in and of themselves. At best, they will hold their value; it's the rare gun indeed that will make you money, and the common guns that have been sold by the millions will never fit that bill unless they are banned and boatloads of them destroyed.

(Luzerne County)

I have to think guns in general are not a good investment. Our wonderful "goverment" could at any time make just having a gun, any type of gun" illegal, and anything you have would be taken away without any payback. If you think the second amendment will protect you think again. Some parasite in Washington or Harrisburg lays awake all night thinking of ways to take your rights away and make himself god.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I would LOVE... to read the reviews, of a $600 rifle! Would you have any links, perchance?
    Yep as a matter of fact I do. Check it out. It's definitely not the fanciest piece available, but generally the reviews for this one look positive.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/70770

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    I'd say a couple each. No homebuilts; factory-made guns.
    The have-nots will be scrambling to buy any brand. Obviously big-name brands like Colt, S&W would be primo, but when faced with none at all, any FACTORY-made AR will sell. Take advantage of the fire-sale prices now. Make sure to get M4rgerys. Today's AR fans don't know what a 20" AR is unless they see it in C.O.D.
    Get WASR hi-caps, suggest U/Folders as they will be the first AKs banned. Unless you want to spend bigger on boutique-built AKs, any will do when the next ban hits.
    Of course, we are purely speculating that the O will be re-upped...

But...
    Given the Republican presidential alternatives and the general dislike of the ever-fucking-richening Republican-friendly honky-assed muthafuckin US corporations - while the rest of us barely fucking eke away our lives as unemployed or underemployed - that is a VERY REAL POSSIBILITY.
    Thanks, will do

Quote Originally Posted by afultz075 View Post
    I'd say save your money. It's no guarantee that there will be another "gun rush" and I certainly hope there isn't as the last thing I want is to have to overpay for every damn gun and accessory I want to buy, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if there is another gun rush due to how paranoid that gun owners tend to get.
    At any rate, unless there is another scare, you will probably never get your money back out of those guns or break even at best after running around trying to sell them.
    Even if I can't sell them, I would still have a nice collection of arms. But still, the AWB or the magazine limit will still probably be an issue somewhere down the road, as there may be a firm push from the gun control crowd eventually to get something passed.

Quote Originally Posted by y0rlik View Post
    Truth be told, the 'return on investment' of most guns is negative, especially for very common guns (e.g., your run of the mill AK's & AR's). The only guns which become truly collectible and/or showed a dramatic increase in value are those which are only present now in very limited numbers on the market (rare variants and grandfathered banned items). Even in that case, adjusted for inflation, many of them have not made money in real terms. As an example, the SAR-48 (a Brazilian made FAL type imported prior to the 1989 ban) sold in the 1980's for around $600. Market value for these is now about $1200. In nominal terms, its price has increased by $600, but after factoring in inflation, it has actually lost monetary value in real terms.

If you want to buy some extra guns because you think the world's going to end and you will need to arm your neighbors against a horde of invading zombies, fine. If you want them as a means of protecting your fiat dollars against hyperinflation (by having physical assets with inherent value), that's fine too. If you're betting on their real price (inflation adjusted) skyrocketing because of another gun grab (real or perceived), you're likely to lose your shirt.

Guns in a lot of respects are like houses or cars. While they have intrinsic value of their own, they are not likely to make money for you in real terms in and of themselves. At best, they will hold their value; it's the rare gun indeed that will make you money, and the common guns that have been sold by the millions will never fit that bill unless they are banned and boatloads of them destroyed.
    So in essence you are saying that the market has already been pretty saturated from the 08-09 gun rushes?

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    So in essence you are saying that the market has already been pretty saturated from the 08-09 gun rushes?
    I'm saying that in general guns are a lousy investment from a purely monetary standpoint, regardless of the political/economic climate (although, yes, there is somewhat of a glut of AR's and AK's right now and the economy isn't helping either).

(Allegheny County)

Under normal conditions, Yorlik is absolutely correct. Think; we do not REALLY NEED yet another EBR - we do need food, clothing, shelter.

For the VAST majority of us, firearms are kewl but not a life-neccesity.

Value of such luxuires will be completely relative to what someone will pay for something. Years ago I paid a good amount for a pre-89 Dagenham Sterling as I really wanted one. Didn't need it.

Years later, Century subcontracted to Wiselight to assemble them from parts kits and now they go for $400.00. I'll never get my money out of my Sterling unless the 86 ban is lifted and I can F1 it into select fire. Or, another Dagenham diehard like me wants an original.

But to the point of the thread - I think - if the B-O stays in office and reads this as his mandate for his party's policies; then panic will surely again ensue and EBRs will be in hot demand.
    I recall seeing some loafered-yuppie and his A-Fitch tweener paying seriously long-green at a Gander Mtn for a Bushmaster AR in the last panic. They had to have an AR simply because.

That example and the fact that gun nutz always seem to have the cash, if we or someone thinks they may never/ever be able to get another evil-something again, they will make the effort to snag one regardless of price.

If, if, if. This is what will drive the next panic priceing.

If I had known that no more CHICOM guns would ever again be available, I would've kept some of those CHICOM SKS, a Norinco sidefolder with the red furniture, a PolyTech U/F, snagged an M14-knockoff. Or grabbed a REAL Mitchell Yugo, a Valmet M71, Beretta M70, Sterling Mk6 for $700.00, Action ARms Uzi, H&K 94, FN FAL 50.21, even an Auto-Ordnance 1927A5 with the then-legal VFG.

As Mongo suggested, .GOV scazzbags will so anything they can to insure they entrench themselves in power - so who knows what will be banned - and STAY banned.

I dunno, Obummer is already trying back-door approaches to 2A encroachment via his proxies the DOJ and ATF, and has made overtures to the UN via Hillary that we would sign on to the Small Arms Treaty. IF he wins again, you know he will try an AWB.

That said, I dont think that there is a real investment potential in stocking ARs.
    Last edited by spacemanvic; August 31st, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
    Hold the Line...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast