Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default .45 super vs 10mm ??

how does this round compare with the hottest offerings of a 10mm ?

i have a Para p-14 LDA and want to stick with the .45 for logistics reasons (i dont want a bunch of pistols each using a diff round , way to expensive ) so in short im conteplating the .45 super conversion and im curious as to whether or not it can compete with the 10mm in its hottest loading ..any any other helpfull input would be umm helpfull for lack of a better word
    Last edited by bravo30; January 14th, 2008 at 08:20 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: .45 super vs 10mm ??

I think that a 45 +P with high performance ammo (Cor-bon DPX, TAP, etc.) has plenty of stopping power for non-dangerous game situations (where 10mm wouldn't be much better anyway). 10MM might be better on energy, but it starts .05 less in diameter as well. Both stoppers, but I'd personally stay with my .45 due to better ammo choices and availibility, and gun choices as well.

if the ballistics on the site I just went to on the 45super are correct then it seems like it is almost identical

(Philadelphia County)

yeah im kinda thinking there about equal ..the differneces are sure to be none existant to the naked eye out in the real world but im sure on paper there are clear advantages an disadvantages ..... prob just stick with the .45 super conversion for trips up state camping /fishing etc etc ... pop the spring out to do everyday target shooting with reg power .45 ammo on other ocassions

(Luzerne County)

The 10mm can lob a 180 gr bullet @ 1350 fps (a hot load) not sure what the 45 platform is capable of @ max loads.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    The 10mm can lob a 180 gr bullet @ 1350 fps (a hot load) not sure what the 45 platform is capable of @ max loads.

current factory loaded 45 Super pushes a 185gr at 1300 fps.

I have my Kimber TLE set up for 45 Super and with the wilson 24 pound recoil spring I can still shoot Federal AE 45acp 230gr without any problems. The only time I ever ran into trouble was when I ran 230gr. 45 Super with my comp. installed. The 45acp AE round wouldn't always fully cycle the slide.

I carry the 185gr Super load for CCW and play with the 230gr AE round so I have never had anymore problems with cycleing.

The problem with 10mm is availability of resonable cost training ammo and the fact quite a few shops don't carry much or any of it. Federal AE 230gr is readily available most places and 45 Super is easy enough to reload. I do wish someone would manufacture the 45 Super using Federal HS heads instead of Speer GD but for now the Gold Dot is the only thing available so reloading is the only option for me. besides with handloads you can also push the Super over 1400 with out any problems and with a heavier recoil spring 1500 in not unreasonable,

Rich W.

(Luzerne County)

Wow! I'm not that familar with the 45 Super but am quite impressed that it's that powerful and yet so versatile you can shoot ACP.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    Wow! I'm not that familar with the 45 Super but am quite impressed that it's that powerful and yet so versatile you can shoot ACP.
    With the 24 pound spring it's no problem. A 26pound will hickup until you have a few rounds down the pipe to break it in. Anything higher than a 26 and then your swapping springs back and forth.

My brother just converted his Kimber Custom 2 to 45 super also and even with the slightly lower grade of the Custom as apposed to my TLE we haven't seen any problems. Not so much as a sign of coil bind even.

I would NOT recommend doing the conversion on an aluminum framed gun but steel framed Kimbers have no problem with it.

Rich W.

(Montgomery County)

By the numbers they are almost identical in performance. I prefer the 10mm because it is more versitle. You can get loads from 135 to 230 grains. Power levels from .40 S&W up to mid level 41 mag.

(Franklin County)

Exactly what all is involved with the conversion anyway?

I'm sure a more powerful recoil spring is needed, but what else? Would a series 80 Colt be sufficiently up to snuff for such a conversion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast