Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Ridge and Valley Rod and Gun Club might start banning accessories! {FINAL VERDICT

Talk about slippery slopes! I am not familiar with this range but I used to be a member of Southern Chester County. Here is a gun club that has been around forever and was out 'in the sticks'. Next thing you know there are housing developments popping up all around. Then came the noise and safety complaints.

I don't know how it is now but when I was there they banned full auto. Then they banned rapid fire - count 5 seconds between shots. Then came the magazine restrictions - only load 3 rounds or whatever.

I know most of these gun clubs do indeed try to be good neighbors. But the developers and buyers must know what is next door as well. You don't build a development next to a pig farm and then complain about the smell. Oh wait, that's exactly what they do....!!!

It's getting harder to find good places to shoot anymore.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Ridge and Valley Rod and Gun Club might start banning accessories! {FINAL VERDICT

The following is presented by the Combined Executive Committee and Board of Governors of Ridge and Valley Rod and Gun Club, Coopersburg, PA:

RebuttalD.pdf
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Lehigh County)

All of us have been and are anxious to bring about the completion of the new ranges. Although it has been an uphill battle, we continue to move forward and will succeed in this endeavor. Therefore, it would be greatly appreciated if negative, uninformed comments were not spread over the Internet
    Thankfully we live in a country where, as you see it, negative and uninformed comments can and will be said. I don't exactly see how any of my comments are uninformed - the information came from board members.

Maybe this is the kick in the ass the board needs to get shit done, maybe not. Regardless of what you say, the fact remains that its been close to five years since the inception of the new range ideas (or possibly longer - I don't know), and nothing's happened. That's kind of the bottom line. Members wouldn't be so mad if there was any real progress, but there hasn't been. Meanwhile, the ranges continue to get shot to hell, the backboards are always destroyed, weekends are ridiculously crowded, and in the summer, it's too hot to shoot at the pistol range.

Sorry, I do not accept the status quo.

P.S., A gate in the driveway would be awesome.
    Last edited by FireGS; September 19th, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
    Join the CHAT! Http://www.pa-zrt.com

(Northampton County)

The following is presented by the Combined Executive Committee and Board of Governors of Ridge and Valley Rod and Gun Club, Coopersburg, PA:

Ridge and Valley Rod & Gun Club is a club of long standing in the community, having both served its membership in a variety of shooting activities as well as having maintained its welcome in the community since 1959. Our record of safety, adherence to local ordinances, providing qualifying range time to local law enforcement departments and, most importantly, attention to safe shooting practices in our sport have kept us free of non-productive and unwanted attention. Thus, we have been able to continue enjoying our sport.

Your officers and board have always striven to promote the best of the sport with as broad a range of shooting activities as possible for all of its members within the boundaries of our property. Growth in our area, new homes, and the confines of our property has necessitated the need to fore attention to safety and to the planning for new ranges.

As announced in this September's, 2011 Newsletter to the membership by the Club President:
    Background: "A land conservancy agreement was previously established with Upper Saucon Township and our club. This was approved by a membership vote for the purpose of establishing new ranges. The agreement placed much of our club's property into a land conservancy with the proviso that new ranges were approved and included for construction and placement on that conservancy land. Those range plans were documented within the conservancy agreement, and the agreement also provided funds to our club for the conservancy property. Those funds will, as approved by membership vote, be used to help bring about the new ranges.
    Steps Taken: Since that time, a continuing effort has been made to establish the new ranges. Selected club officers, our club attorney and I, representing the club, meet with the township to bring about agreement to our interests. Those new ranges will provide greater safety, more shooting lanes and longer distance target placement, all to the benefit of our club.
    Currently: There have been details that have needed resolution with the township since the township's motivation has wavered from the originally stated position. Our continued efforts will result in the new ranges. I also look forward to continuing to serve you as your president and to see the completion of the new ranges."

Information regarding new ranges has been provided, previously and updated repeatedly, at club meetings, so that all members would be aware of the progress. It is important to attend meetings and to participate in the club. Ideas, questions and participation are the mainstay of any club. Additionall, rules are not set for one individual but for the safety of everyone. A recently released and updated set of range rules, also announced in the September 2011 Newsletter, were developed by a range committee that spent months considering, reviewing, composing and editing them to provide a basis for safe shooting practices. Those rules were then reviewed again and voted upon.

Very shortly, after the bump fire situation occurred, an expedited meeting of the Range Committee and Board of Governors was convened to discull the possible ramifications of simulated full auto firing at the range, full auto having been banned previously. It was the majority decision of the Board of Governors to prohibit the practice at this time with the best interests of the Club and its members in mind.

To clarify, sum up and for the record: Many hours of work by club officers and board members have gone into working toward new ranges, not renovations. The funds remain intact, and all financial matters are reviewed for the membership in the Treasurer's report at every membership meeting. The drilling, contracted by the township, did not result in any remuneration to the club nor did the club pay for the drilling. No final agreement regarding this matter has been made. However, the need for water supplies from our property to the community can provide the additional support for the completion of the ranges since the township wavered from their originally stated and proped helping position. Be aware that permits alone, not to mention construction costs can and do far exceed the casual observer's knowledge.

All of us have been and are anxious to bring about the completion of the new ranges. Although it has been an uphill battle, we continue to move forward and will succeed in this endeavor. Therefore, it would be greatly appreciated if negative, uninformed comments were not spread over the Internet.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS View Post
    Thankfully we live in a country where, as you see it, negative and uninformed comments can and will be said. I don't exactly see how any of my comments are uninformed - the information came from board members.

Maybe this is the kick in the ass the board needs to get shit done, maybe not. Regardless of what you say, the fact remains that its been close to five years since the inception of the new range ideas (or possibly longer - I don't know), and nothing's happened. That's kind of the bottom line. Members wouldn't be so mad if there was any real progress, but there hasn't been. Meanwhile, the ranges continue to get shot to hell, the backboards are always destroyed, weekends are ridiculously crowded, and in the summer, it's too hot to shoot at the pistol range.

Sorry, I do not accept the status quo.

P.S., A gate in the driveway would be awesome.
    As with most clubs, unless you have an appointed staff that is to upkeep, isnt it your job as well to help with teh range when it's "all shot to hell"?

(Lehigh County)

We're all supposed to help. They have a range cleanup crew, and I do pick up brass, and clean the place up when I'm there - I just cant put up new backboards.

One interesting thing, they changed to Chicken Wire for a backboard on the 25 yard range cause assholes keep blowing it to hell with shotgun. We're supposed to use range-supplied Clothes Pins to hang our targets on it. Somehow, now even the chicken wire is completely shot to shit, and so are all the clothes pins. I couldnt hang a target the other day because of it. It's not an invite to shoot shotgun there, people. Can we stop? If you HAVE to, go to the 50 or 100, and put a standing target - that's what I do.

Is it that hard to not be disrespectful to the range?

(Northampton County)

[QUOTE=FireGS;1734473]Thankfully we live in a country where, as you see it, negative and uninformed comments can and will be said. I don't exactly see how any of my comments are uninformed - the information came from board members.
    Come to the General Membership Meeting this coming Wednesday 9/21 at 8PM - you will be given a chance to confront those board members from whom "the information came" and receive a personal reply.

Maybe this is the kick in the ass the board needs to get shit done, maybe not. "getting shit done" requires active participation in the club and club functions. Do you participate?Regardless of what you say,The response was written by a dozen VOLUNTEER members of the Executive committee and the Board of Governors - not by me alone, who volunteered their time to attend the "expedited meeting" and compose the rebuttal letter - I am, merely, the vector of dissemination. the factnot fact, merely your opinion remains that its been close to five years since the inception of the new range ideas (or possibly longer - I don't know), and nothing's happenedAgain, this is merely your uniformed opinion.. That's kind of the bottom line. Members wouldn't be so mad if there was any real progress, but there hasn't been.opinion, not fact. Meanwhile, the ranges continue to get shot to hell, the backboards are always destroyed, weekends are ridiculously crowded, and in the summer, it's too hot to shoot at the pistol range.
    [COLOR="blue"]The Range Commitee asks for help from the general membership to refurbish the ranges on a monthly basis - there usually are the same four or five people who show up for the work party, ALL VOLUTEERING their valuable time - do you? In between those work parties - other members of the executive committee and board give numerous hours of their time to do immediate repairs to the ranges, when needed; maintain the club house and grounds for the enjoyment of all the members - do you? As for being ridiculously crowded on weekends - that goes to show you how popular OUR club is. As to being too hot to shoot at the pistol range during the summer - I strongly doubt that R&V is responsible for summer's heat. /COLOR]Sorry, I do not accept the status quo.Then participate to effect change AND to become informed.

I look forward to meeting you in person at the meeting on Wednesday at 8PM. I will, as usual, be manning the sign in sheet - I volunteer my time. Introduce yourself and participate in the meeting. I'm sure you will be given all the time you feel is necessary to express your concerns and complaints. All you need to do is bring along a willingness to hear the "facts" and understand.
    The above remarks are from ME personally and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Excutive Committee nor Board of Governors, nor were any of my comments sanctioned by either of those bodies.
    Jim Hauff

(Lehigh County)

I knew this was going to happen.

Although I think it sucks, I can't say I'm surprised.

The SlideFire stock may be perfectly legal, but I knew gun ranges wouldn't want anything to do with them.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGS View Post
    Come to the General Membership Meeting this coming Wednesday 9/21 at 8PM - you will be given a chance to confront those board members from whom "the information came" and receive a personal reply.

Maybe this is the kick in the ass the board needs to get shit done, maybe not. "getting shit done" requires active participation in the club and club functions. Do you participate?Regardless of what you say,The response was written by a dozen VOLUNTEER members of the Executive committee and the Board of Governors - not by me alone, who volunteered their time to attend the "expedited meeting" and compose the rebuttal letter - I am, merely, the vector of dissemination. the factnot fact, merely your opinion remains that its been close to five years since the inception of the new range ideas (or possibly longer - I don't know), and nothing's happenedAgain, this is merely your uniformed opinion.. That's kind of the bottom line. Members wouldn't be so mad if there was any real progress, but there hasn't been.opinion, not fact. Meanwhile, the ranges continue to get shot to hell, the backboards are always destroyed, weekends are ridiculously crowded, and in the summer, it's too hot to shoot at the pistol range.
    [COLOR="blue"]The Range Commitee asks for help from the general membership to refurbish the ranges on a monthly basis - there usually are the same four or five people who show up for the work party, ALL VOLUTEERING their valuable time - do you? In between those work parties - other members of the executive committee and board give numerous hours of their time to do immediate repairs to the ranges, when needed; maintain the club house and grounds for the enjoyment of all the members - do you? As for being ridiculously crowded on weekends - that goes to show you how popular OUR club is. As to being too hot to shoot at the pistol range during the summer - I strongly doubt that R&V is responsible for summer's heat. /COLOR]Sorry, I do not accept the status quo.Then participate to effect change AND to become informed.

I look forward to meeting you in person at the meeting on Wednesday at 8PM. I will, as usual, be manning the sign in sheet - I volunteer my time. Introduce yourself and participate in the meeting. I'm sure you will be given all the time you feel is necessary to express your concerns and complaints. All you need to do is bring along a willingness to hear the "facts" and understand.
    The above remarks are from ME personally and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Excutive Committee nor Board of Governors, nor were any of my comments sanctioned by either of those bodies.
    Jim Hauff
    "you will be given a chance to confront those board members from whom "the information came" and receive a personal reply." - I've already heard it from them, and many others.

".."getting shit done" requires active participation in the club and club functions. Do you participate?" - I beg to differ. There is not one single thing that a General Member can do to bring about the new ranges. That's all on you guys, the board, and the president - Not us.

"not fact, merely your opinion" [Re: new range progress] - See below.

"As for being ridiculously crowded on weekends - that goes to show you how popular OUR club is. As to being too hot to shoot at the pistol range during the summer - I strongly doubt that R&V is responsible for summer's heat." - It also shows how small the range is when 5 cars fill up the entire range for more than the "one" hour time slot they're allotted when people are waiting. The pistol range also have no shade or cover from the sun - hence becoming too unpleasant to shoot at.

Look, I'm not trying to pick a fight - I'm just pissed and concerned about the lack of forward movement. It's kind of annoying and sad that I cannot express my opinions on this matter without getting into a pissing match over it. It's pretty simple - has ground broken on the new ranges? If you can tell me "yes, there is broken ground on the new ranges", then my statement remains valid - there has not been any progress with the new ranges. All the newsletter said was "a continuing effort has been made to establish the new ranges". Care to explain further? There's nothing new reported, really.

Due to the hostility from the President and Landowner, as well as yourself, and the board - I'm kind of afraid to show up at the meeting. My name was "demanded" by the president when the Slide Fire situation started. I can only imagine for what reason. Who's to say you're not just going to revoke my membership? I really want an answer to this.

One final point - every time I see Mike P, I ask him about the new ranges. Every time he tells me - HIS WORDS - "ahh.. it's the president." Take that as you will.
    Last edited by FireGS; September 19th, 2011 at 12:37 PM.

(Northampton County)

Come to the meeting. Active participation by all members is heartily encouraged. The club membership is the final authority on all club activities - the membership in general and in whole has the right to propose anything, to submit new ideas, etc. and ultimately to VOTE on proposals. Nothing is added nor subtracted from the Club charter, range rules, etc. without a general membership vote. There are over 900 members. If you're not there, you have given up your right and your ability to participate. Very simply, the club is for all the members. You can even run for office - it's voluntary and elections are held regularly. See you at the meeting on Wednesday - we're not scary people, we're just like you and your friends - we are all members, we volunteer.
    No pissing contest nor hostility intended - just statement of facts.
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; September 19th, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast