Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Gunshop Misinformation

I was at a local gunshop recently when I heard a younger customer ask the store owner if OC under 21 is legal.

The owner responded in the negative, and stupid me felt the need to interject. It turns out the guy was asking because his girlfriend/sister/female companion is 19 and walks her dog alone at night and wanted to maybe start open carrying. After explaining the laws, I was told I was wrong, and that the only way to carry a pistol under 21 is with a sportsman permit, and that carrying for self defense is illegal under all circumstances. I pretty much shut up, because I could tell it was a losing battle, and I really didn't want to piss off the owner because I think it is a great shop overall.

I only wish I could have talked to the customers outside and directed them here, but I left first because the owner offered to help me carry my new firearms outside.

What is the best way to handle this situation guys? I feel crappy that there is more than likely an unarmed girl walking around at night because of misinformation I should have cleared up.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Gunshop Misinformation

Quote Originally Posted by Zyler12 View Post
    I was at a local gunshop recently when I heard a younger customer ask the store owner if OC under 21 is legal.

The owner responded in the negative, and stupid me felt the need to interject. It turns out the guy was asking because his girlfriend/sister/female companion is 19 and walks her dog alone at night and wanted to maybe start open carrying. After explaining the laws, I was told I was wrong, and that the only way to carry a pistol under 21 is with a sportsman permit, and that carrying for self defense is illegal under all circumstances. I pretty much shut up, because I could tell it was a losing battle, and I really didn't want to piss off the owner because I think it is a great shop overall.

I only wish I could have talked to the customers outside and directed them here, but I left first because the owner offered to help me carry my new firearms outside.

What is the best way to handle this situation guys? I feel crappy that there is more than likely an unarmed girl walking around at night because of misinformation I should have cleared up.

Give her one of the gun rights flyers and direct her here so she can read it for herself.

(Lycoming County)

i would like to add, that i believe even though she is legal to oc at 18 she would have to have her own handgun. one that was gifted to her bymom/dad grandma/grandpa, or one she has purchased from a private party and did the paper work with the local sherrif. i am saying this because one can not loan a handgun to someone that does not have a lctf. so i believe she would be in illegal possession of a firearm. as always if i missed something or am just plain wrong, someone will be along latter to point it out. good luck.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    i would like to add, that i believe even though she is legal to oc at 18 she would have to have her own handgun. one that was gifted to her bymom/dad grandma/grandpa, or one she has purchased from a private party and did the paper work with the local sherrif. i am saying this because one can not loan a handgun to someone that does not have a lctf. so i believe she would be in illegal possession of a firearm. as always if i missed something or am just plain wrong, someone will be along latter to point it out. good luck.
    No, you're right. But regardless, it's pretty easy to get a parent/grandparent to gift you one, as long as they aren't anti. :P

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Gunshop Misinformation

i would take a flier from here and give it to the shop owner and employees. most of these people know the product just not all the laws pertaining to use. i am sure they would appreciate the info, keeps them from looking like asses. a smart man knows when he is wrong and grateful to be educated. if this is not the case(it happens) his true colors are shining thru. a narrow mind is a true waste of air and space.

(Delaware County)

Go back the gunshop, with proper laws in hand, and set the employee straight.

It really grinds my gears when someone who is considered an authority on a topic is blatantly ignorant of said topic. That kind of malfeasance shouldn't be tolerated if you know better and have facts to back it up.

I mean, obviously, don't be a dick about it, but explain to him the law, with citations available, and maybe some real-world scenarios or what is and is not legal.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; August 29th, 2011 at 08:41 AM.
    Junior

^ and try not to punch them in the face. Not good press.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Montgomery County)

If you KNOW YOU are RIGHT, then you defend your position. Never let business and friendship mix. You said you did not want to keep going cause you like the place, that don't matter, you are their for business, and providing correct info is part of it which goes both ways.

If I KNOW I am right and you are wrong, I will tell it to you like it is and back it up. I have faced this before, they can tell you what they think is right, but thats all it is, a thought, opinion, and not fact.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyler12 View Post

To be blunt, that's how I interpreted the GCA of 68; no one under 21 to be in unsupervised posession of a handgun or handgun ammo.
    (Why the local/state/fed govts don't use that as a stick to jail teen gangbangers is beyond me...)

All these other what-if exclusions:
    gifted by grandma or dad, only if its carried on an even-numbered-dated Tuesday in the 6th week of the month - never heard of such things.

Someone turn on the Gunlawer sky-light!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Someone turn on the Gunlawer sky-light!
    This'll get his attention . . .

I've been in the same boat once or twice, and had the same experience; you know it's going to be a losing battle and don't push it.

I will say, though, that it was a shop I never liked anyway and this was before I carried any fliers with me. Otherwise, I agree, point out that they're full of BS.

Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast