Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default My home is 500 feet from a school

Hey everyone - great message board! I'm a new resident and gun owner living in Philadelphia. It turns out the home I own is approximately 500 feet from a school. Will I have any problems getting my LTCF? The moment I step out of my house I'm technically in a school zone, am I not?

I've read a lot about what is considered school property and it gets quite confusing.

Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: My home is 500 feet from a school

Quote Originally Posted by teriaki View Post
    Hey everyone - great message board! I'm a new resident and gun owner living in Philadelphia. It turns out the home I own is approximately 500 feet from a school. Will I have any problems getting my LTCF? The moment I step out of my house I'm technically in a school zone, am I not?

I've read a lot about what is considered school property and it gets quite confusing.

Thanks!
    The location of your residence won't affect your LTCF eligibility.

I'm not a lawyer but I will give you what info I have.

See here for state law on schools and weapons

http://law.justia.com/codes/pennsylv...chapter-9/912/

I think the "school zone" you are talking about is the federal "Gun Free School Zones Act"

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...2----000-.html

Under this act you cannot possess a firearm within 1000 ft of a school, with certain exceptions:

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
    So in short, get your LTCF.

(Delaware County)

OP: you live in Philly, you need a LTCF anyways of you want to leave tour house with the gun. Yes, there are exceptions to that but just get your LTCF

No, living near a school won't disqualify you

(Philadelphia County)

Excellent, thanks for the help folks. I've read so much about school zones and it was pretty confusing.