Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 870 or 887 ???

(Westmoreland County)

Default 870 or 887 ???

I need to buy another shotgun. My 12 year old boy is loves to go hunting and will repossess my 870. It is a 870 express turkey camo that both he & I love. We use it primarily for small game in heavy woods and the 21" remchoke barrel makes the gun very easy to handle. The gun was also fairly iexpensive ($3oo or so). If I do not buy another shotgun, I will just be a gun caddy for him (i.e. carry a .22 & pretend that I am hunting with him until he decides that he wants to plink w/ the .22)

Anyway, I am locked in on a pump & between getting another 870 express turkey, or, debating about getting a 887. I have heard about reliability issues w/ the 887. Then again, I have also heard about these reliability issues w/ all new Remingtons. Are these unfounded? I like the idea of being to shoot 3 1/2" shells, but doubt that I really will. I also started looking at gunbroker, trying to find an older 870 Wingmaster (really hoping to find a Special Field), but all of these seem to start at $400.

Any advice for me?

(Berks County)

Default Re: 870 or 887 ???

Yup, stay far away from the 887, I had one and it was a complete piece of crap. Do a few google searches and you will see many others have had the same experience.

Stick with a 870, a mossberg 500, or a benelli nova.

(Delaware County)

Find another 870 or 870 Express on the forums here-you are happy with the fit and function. The goal is a gun that you like and the bonus is interchangeable barrels to both shooters.

Good Luck,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Chester County)

The 870 is a very reliable shotty and if you have no plans for 3-1/2" shells, I would stick with it. I haven't heard any problems about new 870's.

Good luck.
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

I've never had an issue with the 870, and I'd recommend it.

(Allegheny County)

I bought an 887 Remington a couple months ago.I also heard about reliability issues but after much research I decided to get one and I was not disappointed, I love the gun.Low recoil even with 3 1/2.Functions flawlessly and I haven't missed what I have aimed at yet.