Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default "encounter" with my disapatcher

I drive a tow truck for a living so I cant take some calls.

I called back to my shop after finishing a call and my dispatcher started giving me my next call. About half way through the information she tells me its at a middle school in the teachers parking lot.

me - I can't take that it's on school property.
    disp - Why not?
    me - I have my firearm with me.
    disp - Why do you have a gun?
    me - Self defense and because i'm licensed to and my boss (the owner of the company) said im allowed to.
    disp - Oh, ok. Well.......here is a different call then.

I know that i've told her in the past, and that it probably slipped her mind. She didn't make any sort of a deal out of it. But i figured i'd share.

(Centre County)

Red face Re: "encounter" with my disapatcher

Every now and again I need to remind my dispatchers as well. They see me OC daily in the office but since it has become common place, I suspect they forget. Also with them not knowing the law, you will still need to tell them occasionally.

It sounds like your dispatcher did not remember you carry. I put a note on their desk informing them of the places (states) I could not go.

Default Re: "encounter" with my disapatcher

It's not per se illegal for you to possess a firearm on school property, if you have a lawful purpose for possessing it.

Federal law allows your gun possession at or near PA schools as long as you have a PENNSYLVANIA license to carry firearms.

Pennsylvania law allows it if you have a lawful purpose.

That being said, a lot of cops and DA's are confused, so the chances of you being hassled, arrested, and prosecuted are not negligible. If they think it's illegal, you'll get treated like a law-breaker, and it may cost you money. But the PA law makes a clear exception for anyone who possesses ANY implement capable of causing physical harm (and that includes bricks and tire irons and automobiles and steel-tipped shoes) as long as the person isn't committing a crime and has a lawful purpose for the object. And any purpose that's not "unlawful" is a lawful purpose.

The PAFOA folks were kind enough to help fund a defense that demonstrated this principle, in the Chris Anfuso case.
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; August 27th, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Dauphin County)

I've never really understood the lawful purpose part, and to be safe I won't go on school property. Thanks for clarifying that for me though.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's not per se illegal for you to possess a firearm on school property, if you have a lawful purpose for possessing it.

Federal law allows your gun possession at or near PA schools as long as you have a PENNSYLVANIA license to carry firearms.

Pennsylvania law allows it if you have a lawful purpose.

That being said, a lot of cops and DA's are confused, so the chances of you being hassled, arrested, and prosecuted are not negligible. If they think it's illegal, you'll get treated like a law-breaker, and it may cost you money. But the PA law makes a clear exception for anyone who possesses ANY implement capable of causing physical harm (and that includes bricks and tire irons and automobiles and steel-tipped shoes) as long as the person isn't committing a crime and has a lawful purpose for the object. And any purpose that's not "unlawful" is a lawful purpose.

The PAFOA folks were kind enough to help fund a defense that demonstrated this principle, in the Chris Anfuso case.
    Has this been established as fact? I.E. being a teacher?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
    If you're a teacher you'll be fired for violating the terms of employment.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
    It's clear as day in the law. What else does it need to be factual law?

http://paopencarry.org/pa-firearm-law-ss912

Apparently PAOpenCarry.org no longer allows people to Copy & Paste text from their website. Which seems to be to be contrary to the purpose of their website. It's an information website, why wouldn't they want people to use it as a resource for information?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post

Apparently PAOpenCarry.org no longer allows people to Copy & Paste text from their website. Which seems to be to be contrary to the purpose of their website. It's an information website, why wouldn't they want people to use it as a resource for information?
    Stupid client side java script that's inhibiting highlight so you can C&P. If you have No-Script set it to not allow scripts for their domain and you can highlight and then C&P.

ETA: Actually it appears as though they changed the highlight color to something that makes it appear as though it's not.

I have seen the scripts I've described before though, and that's what it seemed to be doing.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

I just copied this from your link and pasted it here. Looks like maybe user error.

§ 912. Possession of weapon on school property.

Definition. -- Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.
    Offense defined. -- A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.
    Defense. -- It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

ADIVSORY NOTE: At the time of this update, there has been thus far no court cases interpreting "possessed for other lawful purpose" insofar as applied to those licensed under §6109, exempted under §6106(b), or open carrying on foot without the benefit of being licensed or exempted on school grounds. However, common sense would dictate that if "self defense" is a valid and lawful reason for purpose of obtaining a PA LTCF than it should also be a "lawful purpose" per this statute's exceptions.

(Bedford County)

If you call an undefined definition of "lawful purpose" clear as day, you sir are much more confident in the legal system than I am.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast