Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Need A New EDC Knife

First, I know this isn't specifically about carrying firearms, but its as much a part of my EDC gear as my gun, holster or belt, so I figured this is as good a spot as any to post. Mods, feel free to move if you please.

So today I lost my SOG Flash II that I've been carrying every day for over a year now. I think it fell out of my pocket when I was getting on my motorcycle, so it very well might be sitting on the floor of their garage, but regardless, time to get a new knife.

I really really liked my Flash II, so much that I was about to purchase another one, but I figured since it wouldn't ship till Monday anyway, I would see what you guys had to say.
    I liked the size, shape, weight and especially the clip on the Flash II so something comparable in those features would be a must. I had the standard model, and I do have one complaint about it. I carry it in my back left pocket and within about 2 weeks of owning it, a piece of the handle broke off where the clip inserts into the handle. As a result, the clip would turn about 15 degrees in either direction. I know this issue only occurred because I carry it in my back pocket so there is a lot of weight on a small piece of plastic. I was considering getting the aluminum one to remedy this, but at twice the cost, I don't know if I can justify it.

Any recommendations, or just input in general would be great.

Thanks.

(York County)

Default Re: Need A New EDC Knife

I'm not sure of the model but for over 5 years I've carried a Gerber spring assisted opening folder and it has served very well. I picked it up at walmart for under $50. I think its this one http://www.combattactical.com/gerber...e-p-80983.html

I also have a couple and really like the CRKT M16 knives. The clip can be moved to all four corners depending on your carry preference. http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River.../dp/B001EIE97W

I have a ton of knives that I EDC. I would suggest:

1. Spyderco Delica 4 (full-flat grind)
    2. Spyderco Manix II
    3. Spyderco Paramilitary
    4. Benchmade Griptilian

I believe these are all about the same size and weight of the SOG Flash II.

I've had great luck with Spyderco knives. They are super sharp and very ergonomic.

I have a Benchmade Griptilian and love it. It might be a little out of your price range though.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Cumberland County)

SOG's are great. I have a few. But I REALLY like my Benchmade's. Have a few Cold steels, which are nice, and my Emerson, which is basically everything I want in a knife.

Despite my Emerson being "everything I want in a knife", I still mainly carry my Benchmade Griptilian.

(Carbon County)

I've had several benchmade knives now and I really like having them as my EDC. I used to have a kershaw as my EDC and the benchmade for weekends. Life is too short not to carry a quality knife and a quality sidearm.

(Northampton County)

All my SOGs are now throw away knives. They live in back packs, range bags, glove compartments. I have a bunch of Tridents, Flashes, Pentagons, and a Twitch.

I did carry a Flash II for a while and it was the aluminum handle. It was much more sturdy than the composite.

My weekday EDC these days is a Benchmade Torrent 890SBK. I love my Emersons, but they tend to scare the white people at work more than a classy looking Benchmade. One of my Emersons accompanies me on the weekends. I still take my Flash II as a backup when I know I might need a knife to beat the crap out of. I do carry my SOG Twitch when I need to dress up, it's extremely thin and light. And when wearing black dress trousers, it disappears when clipped to my pocket. Finally, if I might go through pat down, I don't care if I lose it.

Fair warning: Once you buy a true quality knife, you'll never be able to tolerate an SOG as an EDC again. And you'll start to think that a $100 knife is a cheap knife
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Bedford County)

I rock a Kershaw tanto blur...I got mine on Amazon, but has them too.

(Butler County)

Thanks for the input thus far, I will be checking some of the benchmades out. As a rule, I have no issue paying more for quality. The only reason I'm hesitant to spend $80 + on a EDC knife is because it is something I will be beating the crap out of, using in place of a screwdriver, prybar, medical scapel, dining utensil, and apparently loosing it. If I spend a lot on something , I take good care of it, and I fully intend to not take care of my edc knife.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    Thanks for the input thus far, I will be checking some of the benchmades out. As a rule, I have no issue paying more for quality. The only reason I'm hesitant to spend $80 + on a EDC knife is because it is something I will be beating the crap out of, using in place of a screwdriver, prybar, medical scapel, dining utensil, and apparently loosing it. If I spend a lot on something , I take good care of it, and I fully intend to not take care of my edc knife.
    I will frequently carry 2 knives. One I beat the crap out of, and it is traditionally cheaper. The other I depend on my life.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast