Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: nationwide reciprocity bill H.R. 822 from NRA website

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    Be careful about this. The major holdup between states is a mandatory training requirement including live fire training. That is why a lot of states do not honor the PA LTCF.

In addition some states vary their renewals of CCW permits, some states 7 years others states maybe annually. Hence why NV dropped FL a fews ago because FLs renewal is 7 years.

(Lackawanna County)

Be careful about this. The major holdup between states is a mandatory training requirement including live fire training. That is why a lot of states do not honor the PA LTCF.
    Not to mention, if the federal government can have the ability to make state permits valid nationally, it can also take away that ability, and nullify any and all state licenses/permits. I personally would rather have it remain at state level. Why give the feds any more power than they already have?

(Chester County)

While I would love to carry in every state where I go, I cannot support this bill and here is why. We complain when the state takes away our rights on where, when and how we carry. This is no different then the Feds taking away the states rights on what they can allow and not allow. We do not stand for our rights being pushed aside why should we stand for the rights of states to be pushed aside?

The more control you allow the Feds to have the less freedom you will have in the end.
    Regards Robert
    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~Thomas Jefferson

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sigsauer357 View Post
    In addition some states vary their renewals of CCW permits, some states 7 years others states maybe annually. Hence why NV dropped FL a fews ago because FLs renewal is 7 years.
    I don't think either of these have any effect on the bill in question.

Heres a news flash. 2nd amendment IS your right to carry any where in the USA. However, the elected officials have seen fit to remove this concept from the minds of the masses. What do we need to do? go back through the Constitution and RE-VALIDATE all of it?

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    While I would love to carry in every state where I go, I cannot support this bill and here is why. We complain when the state takes away our rights on where, when and how we carry. This is no different then the Feds taking away the states rights on what they can allow and not allow. We do not stand for our rights being pushed aside why should we stand for the rights of states to be pushed aside?

The more control you allow the Feds to have the less freedom you will have in the end.
    There is truth in what you say about state's rights but unfortunately the Fed camel already has more that its nose in the tent:

LEOSA (18 USC 926B/C);

Gun Free School Zones (18 USC 922(q));

Ubiquitious application of the Commerce Clause (examples are seemingly countably infinite);

etc.

Until all 10th amendment violations are remedied, I can live with one more - HR 822.
    IANAL

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post

The argument for HR822 goes beyond a 10th Amendment issue. Since it is the People's right to keep and bear arms, and it has been incorporated via the 14th Amendment - the US Government has the complete authority to force states to honor the protected rights.

On a 10A argument - yeah this might be a violation of State rights/powers. However since the People's rights are higher than State rights/powers, as being We are the sovereign of the nation, the US Government forcing states to honor another state's license under pretenses of the 2nd Amendment is fully justified.

No state should have any authority to ban open carry, or openly transported firearms whatsoever. And since many either ban open and/or concealed carry, or regulate them to the point of requiring a license/permit, and with some states not entering voluntary reciprocal agreements or not shall issuing to non-residents - there also becomes an Article IV Section 2 and 14th Amendment Section 1 issue for the laws applying equally to all within that state's jurisdiction.

The US Government forcing reciprocity is completely justified under Article IV Section 2, the 2nd Amendment and the 14th Amendment.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 29th, 2011 at 04:46 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the OP from the NRA website may have been up for months now. They may be able to get a few more co-sponsors, but its somewhat moot at this point. HR 822 can pass the House this minute. We don't know about the Senate, but know it'll need to be a rider so Obama can't veto without paying a political price he's unwilling to pay.

As far as a Federal takeover of CCW, it just isn't so with this bill. There's no department being created, nor are state laws concerning where one can/can't carry, type of weapon,exc. being changed. Only difference is out-of-staters will be allowed to carry. And as far as states not having training requirements, put it this way-I'd rather be able to carry in another state and have untrained non-residents carry in my state than me not being able to carry in other states but untrained non-residents not carrying in my state. You end up sacrificing your liberty just to feel safer that someone's been trained.(Note:No training requirement doesn't necessarily mean the person hasn't been trained).

Toward the end of the Civil War, Bedford Forrest was overseeing a burial detail. One of his captains asked if he wanted these many casualties organized and buried by state. His response was, "As they lay. I think we have had a bellyful of State's rights."

I think that if a State chooses not to honor a license: driver's, firearms, pilot's or otherwise, then the federal government's job is to see that the rights of its citizens are evenly and equably upheld anywhere inside its jurisdiction. Which means the ENTIRE country. That, in a nutshell is a third of the reason the Civil War was fought. Hence the fourteenth amendment.

As a matter of convenience, I don't want to worry about a fucked up patchwork of 50 different sets of laws when I take a road trip. (Some laws are non-existent like AZ, NH and AK and some absurdly complex like NJ, DC and CA to say nothing of the even more fucked up patch work of local laws in states that have no preemption law.)

If there was clear legal backing of my PA LCTF in all 50 States, I'd go to NJ more often.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Butler County)

My NJ permit was good for two years. In order to get it I had to get a letter of need, fill out two or three sets of paperwork, take an NRA course, go see a shrink and get an 'okay to carry' letter from them, then go to the police academy and take a written test. If I passed I was allowed to shoot the FBI 25 yard combat course under the Lt's observation. Had to shoot it three times with a cumulative score of 80%. After all that the judge had the final say. Every two years is cost me between $300 and $600 to maintain my permit. Oh, and I could only carry a pistol I had qualified with.

I agree with needing to be careful, too many back door deals are made when it comes to politics. I'm all for being able to carry nation-wide but I'm torn on this one.

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast