Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimenez

(Westmoreland County)

Default Jimenez

I heard a lot of stories about these guns but my question is this.

Are they really all that bad? I have never owned nor did I use one but I would like some input on these guns. I know it is not a range gun but how about home defense.......?
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

Default Re: Jimenez

Quote Originally Posted by D10-8x4 View Post

Are they really all that bad? I have never owned nor did I use one but I would like some input on these guns. I know it is not a range gun but how about home defense.......?
    You mean you would trust a gun for home defense that you wouldn't use at the range? For me, a home defense gun must be reliable above all else. On the range unreliability can be tolerated, but not at home when I need it the most.

I've never owned a Raven/Bryco/Jennings/Jimenez etc. and never will. I have heard too many stories. I subscribe to the notion that where there's smoke, there's fire. While not all the stories are accurate, enough of them probably are to make me hesitant about using one even on the range, let alone for personal defense. All the stories say they are unreliable (especially the magazines), difficult to disassemble, difficult to keep clean, and in general poorly made using cheap materials (then there's the small issue that they tend to be chambered for small calibers which are not suitable for personal defense). I'm sure there are some people who love them, but I certainly wouldn't take my chances.

(Jefferson County)

They all aren't bad. Sure, they aren't a Colt, S&W, Glock, or even a Taurus for that matter. But there are countless thousands of Jimenez and other Ring of Fire guns out there that work reliably.

I cant even begin to count all the Raven, Davis, Jennings, Bryco guns I've owned over the years. I used to buy them up at as little as $20 a pop on the streets and at pawn shops in Tampa when I lived down there. Not one failed on me, and none gave me any real issues.

You'd would be better off though using it as a range gun than a home defense gun. Even though I came in defense of the cheapo guns - there is plenty of proof of the possibility of one failing on you. ...and in a defensive situation that is the last thing you need. Where as at a range - you're just there to pop some holes in paper or cans.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Perry County)

Aren't these usually small pocket pistols? I don't think he meant that he wouldn't trust it's reliability at the range, just that since it's small, it wouldn't be fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by y0rlik View Post
    You mean you would trust a gun for home defense that you wouldn't use at the range? For me, a home defense gun must be reliable above all else. On the range unreliability can be tolerated, but not at home when I need it the most.

I've never owned a Raven/Bryco/Jennings/Jimenez etc. and never will. I have heard too many stories. I subscribe to the notion that where there's smoke, there's fire. While not all the stories are accurate, enough of them probably are to make me hesitant about using one even on the range, let alone for personal defense. All the stories say they are unreliable (especially the magazines), difficult to disassemble, difficult to keep clean, and in general poorly made using cheap materials (then there's the small issue that they tend to be chambered for small calibers which are not suitable for personal defense). I'm sure there are some people who love them, but I certainly wouldn't take my chances.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by D10-8x4 View Post

I wouldn't trust one as my home defense weapon! My home defense gun is the one I can rely on 100% and is a little more potent than a pocket pistol. Just my opinion.

(Westmoreland County)

Let me explain, because my post seems to be a little unclear.

What I mean is that I would not take it to the range and yank 500-600 rounds down the pipe. I would (if I buy one) test it on the range to make sure it is working appropriate.
    The main reason why I asked about the reliability is because there are so many bad reviews about the Jimenez guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    Aren't these usually small pocket pistols? I don't think he meant that he wouldn't trust it's reliability at the range, just that since it's small, it wouldn't be fun to shoot.
    Dude, I know nothing about the gun the OP is asking about, but in my book, if a bullet comes out of it (or a BB, pellet, ball, dart, etc.), it is fun to shoot.
    Last edited by harold63; August 27th, 2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added a comma
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Cumberland County)

If your main goal is to find a cheap home nightstand/self defense gun, and you can't find a quality gun cheap enough, the only "cheap" gun I would go with would be a hi-point 380 or 9. They are ugly, heavy, crude - but they are just over $100 buck and everyone I've heard review them has said that although they are heavy, ugly and crude - they go bang every time - and $100-$125 new. Again, just my opinion - I would never trust my life or my families safety on a jimenez. I don't own a Hi-Point pistol, but I have a Hi-Point 9mm carbine rifle, and have never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I wouldn't trust one as my home defense weapon! My home defense gun is the one I can rely on 100% and is a little more potent than a pocket pistol. Just my opinion.
    Yep...

I looked at the website and it looks like something a gangster would try to get after all his home boys told him to piss off. Never scrimp when it comes to HD. There are way too many great HD weapons out there. If it is something you want to purchase because you think it is cool, then go for it. I do not own anything that isn't cool.
    Last edited by harold63; August 27th, 2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Punc. correction
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Westmoreland County)

Yup...........I know about the Hi-Point guns. I actually bought one just for the heck of it and that was basically the reason to get one of those jimenez's. Like the hi-point, the jimenez also comes with a lifetime warranty.
    If a gun would be that bad, the manufacturer would not attache a life time warranty to it....IMO. I probably get one for the fun of it and like I mentioned in earlier posts.....I carry and use other guns on the range.

BTW......the Jimenez Nine is a 9mm and not a small pocket caliber like some people are thinking. it does not look like a bad gun but since I never owned nor shot one a thread could be helpful.
    Here is their website.

http://jimenezarmsinc.com/janine.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast