Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default AL - PA reciprocity

Reading thru AL 's code for something else I found their recip section:

Section 13A-11-85
    Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.

(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state. A licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(b) The Attorney General shall periodically publish a list of states which meet the requirements of subsection (a).

Since PA will recognize anybody that recognizes ours, and it seems AL is exactly the same...unless I'm reading it wrong...why don't we have recip with AL?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: AL - PA reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Reading thru AL 's code for something else I found their recip section:

Since PA will recognize anybody that recognizes ours, and it seems AL is exactly the same...unless I'm reading it wrong...why don't we have recip with AL?
    It still requires a formal agreement with both signing parties or our AG saying that AL's is good in PA with a statutory agreement. As soon as PA say's AL's is good it looks like AL will honor PA's LTCF.

PA doesn't carte blanche honor all(except in vehicles), our AG has to either get formal agreements or declare it.

(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
    (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 26th, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

I forgot to mention..

I think Alabama is the only state that issues licenses that doesn't require a background check. ...so, that might be the hold up with PA signing or declaring with AL.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I forgot to mention..

I think Alabama is the only state that issues licenses that doesn't require a background check. ...so, that might be the hold up with PA signing or declaring with AL.
    I had heard that too...and in fact, was what I was looking for to begin with.

On that issue I did find this:

Section 13A-11-75
    License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; fee; revocation; release of information.

(a) The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he or she is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.

....and $1 fee!!!

(Jefferson County)

That must be rather new..

There was even a GFSZA case where the AL licensee was prosecuted because the US Government believed his AL license didn't qualify under the GFSZA's exemption for licensees because AL didn't require a background check.

The guy won on appeal though, but the at one time AL didn't require background checks.

It must be because they just don't like us Yankees up here

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There was even a GFSZA case . . .
    girls for super zoroastrian association?

(Dauphin County)

I don't see where the AG ever had the duty to determine the laws of another state, so that we could tap that information under 6106(b)(15)(ii). Have we always just assumed it was a function of determining whether a reciprocity agreement could be made, in that if the laws were not similar, we simply could lawfully have an agreement of reciprocity? See the absence of such a requirement under 6109(k) and (m).

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    I don't see where the AG ever had the duty to determine the laws of another state, so that we could tap that information under 6106(b)(15)(ii). Have we always just assumed it was a function of determining whether a reciprocity agreement could be made, in that if the laws were not similar, we simply could lawfully have an agreement of reciprocity? See the absence of such a requirement under 6109(k) and (m).
    It is still up to the AG to validate reciprocity with another state. Until he said AL is good to go - there is no reciprocity.