Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Angry Sig P229 trigger

I have a Sig P229 Stainless Elite that I have polished/honed every mating surface with attention to removing as little as possible material. The double action firing is as smooth as silk, but on single action, after the slack is taken up, there is a pronounced step or notch felt in the creep part of the stroke.
    Anybody have any ideas? I know there are gunsmiths out there that can improve Sig's but for the amount of money that gun costs, I feel that it should have been done at the factory.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Sig P229 trigger

Hey Mikey_G,

I am not a gunsmith, but I am a Colt/Beretta/Glock Armorer.... It is hard to Diagnose a problem via the internet... and I have only worked on a few Sigs.... but could your problem be the result of "stacking"of the hammer/main spring? If so the only solution, I could think of would be to try a reduced power spring from Wolf Gunsprings.

You may even try a new sear and or hammer... (which would get pricey I am sure!) I did drop a Sig short trigger in my friends 226... which even though he has big hands.... he swears by....

I am a gunbutcher from way back and often polish the "bearing surfaces" of my metal parts.... I would strongly recommend against doing anything to you sear engagement surfaces... as the result would almost surely be an unsafe gun.... if your problem lies there..... take it to a Professional Gunsmith Like John Robinson at Classic Pistol or Evolution Gun Works in Quakertown.... you will be happy you did... well worth the cost!

Good Luck !
    Fred

(Indiana County)

Unhappy Re: Sig P229 trigger

Thanks 1096369fred. I've already tried the Wolf springs. I'm not familiar with the term "stacking" though. It almost feels as if the hammer or the sear have a machining groove on the engagement surface although looking at them with a pro magnifying glass shows them both to be as smooth as glass. I like your term "gunbutcher", I guess that's where I fall (have dremel tool will travel). I do have some machining experience and have my own lathe and mill. As I said in the first post I really have a problem putting any money into this gun knowing its original cost. But at this point I am lost.

(Bucks County)

Hey Mike_G,

As I understand it "stacking" is the effect with coil springs, whereby they get heavier, the more they are compressed... so in double action it tends to increase slightly toward the end of the triggers travel... In single action since you have already taken up most of the travel by cocking the hammer, there is usually little noticeable "stacking" to release the sear....

I don't know if the problems you have described are a quirk of the Sigs...or a mechanical issue.... I used to have a 229 and noticed no such problems...
    As I recall it had a very crisp.... glass rod like break in single..... I know you don't want to blow any more money... so maybe your first step would be to give Sig a call, and see what they can do for you... The Elite is a nice piece... but is hardly cheap.... I would not mention any work done on it though... that polishing was just the result of "Normal" use.... Wink Wink, nudge nudge... Know what I mean, Know what I mean? (;-P)

P.S. a buddy of mine just bought a Sig 1911 (from the classifieds here!), I have owned many 1911's over the years and I REALLY like his! I may even HAVE to look for one!

Let us know how you make out!

Good Luck!
    Fred

(Monroe County)

I do not notice that in my 229 , the SA is as smooth as glass , but mine is a older model about the year 2002, it has a AM prefix at the sn.

What year is yours?

(Indiana County)

Mine is a spankin new Dec 2010 model (had to wait 6 months for it). I've already talked to Sig about it and, of course, they want me to send it back. They even said that if I've modified it too much I would have to pay for the repairs. They already know I've worked on it due to the fact I had to order a new sear for it (can't buy the sear for the SRT trigger in the aftermarket). I reduced the sear engagement too much and the hammer would release by banging the butt on a table.