Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Post Springfile TRP or 9x's Colt Python

Hey everyone I know you helped me a few weeks ago, but I'm back at it again and thank you for all your help and advice. I have another delema which I need some advice on.

Today at one of the local Philly show's I bought a NIB SA TRP, spent more then I wanted to but I know it's a great gun. Before I bought this I was looking to by a 90's Python(LNIB, Org box, papers, stocks, less then 500 rounds). This is my first 1911, or the Python would be my first wheel gun. Purely based on the fact that either one would be a pure shooter only, which I go with? Do I stick with my new TRP, or sell it and by the python knowing it will only be a shooter. The Python is market price, and so was the TRP. Considering ammo prices, and value over time which is the better buy. I have shot both guns in the past and liked both. I'm leaning to the fact that I should see my TRP and get the Colt. Suggestion and opinions wanted and appreciated. Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Springfile TRP or 9x's Colt Python

Springfield will be making 1911's for quite a while. Colt won't be making any more Pythons.

(Montgomery County)

You said it yourself that the Python would only be a shooter. From that I would say that you would get more mileage off the TRP, but hey, I own one so this post might be a little biased:P

(Montgomery County)

When you say the pistol will be a shooter do you mean a range gun? I.E., purely a range gun or is there a possibility either of these pistols will get carried?

If you are thinking of carrying the pistol or using it for HD the 1911 is a fantastic platform. If its just for the range go for the one that you like the best.

(Allegheny County)

I buy all my guns as shooters, and i've always been leary of buying a Colt revolver as apparently they are getting hard to find parts for as well as finding someone who can work on them. I'd recommend getting a S&W model 28 for half the price. They are phenomenal shooters and you should be able to find essential replacement parts as well as someone to work on them for many years to come.

(Philadelphia County)

Stick with the TRP. Great shooter, pain in the ass to carry though. Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLom View Post
    Stick with the TRP. Great shooter, pain in the ass to carry though. Literally.
    Only if you holster it there. Carry a 6" N frame S&W around for eight hours and then get back to me.

TRP is fine. If you want a Colt, look for a Trooper, instead. Those you don't mind as shooters. Also, they made one a while back that was referred to as The Peacekeeper, an excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock1537 View Post
    Today at one of the local Philly show's I bought a NIB SA TRP, spent more then I wanted to but I know it's a great gun. Purely based on the fact that either one would be a pure shooter only, which I go with?
    If you just bought the TRP, you're going to take a bath if you sell it, or at least there is a good chance of it. The TRP is a great 1911 at any price, and will be a very good pure shooter. I would have already one long ago, but already have a SA long slide, Loaded. If your new TRP shoots as well as my Loaded, then it is a keeper. I agree in that if you want a revolver for pure shooting, I would look at something still being made with a warranty. Taurus makes a hell of a good revolver, now, and you can shoot the poo out of them. Break it, and they will fix it for free. I have a Tracker .44 mag that has taken a beaten and still shoots very well. Cost me $429 plus tax and fee.
    Last edited by harold63; August 28th, 2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: punc. error
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Only if you holster it there. Carry a 6" N frame S&W around for eight hours and then get back to me.

TRP is fine. If you want a Colt, look for a Trooper, instead. Those you don't mind as shooters. Also, they made one a while back that was referred to as The Peacekeeper, an excellent choice.
    I carried it in the summer so 3 o'clock IWB wasn't an option with just a t shirt on. I don't really see a reason to carry an N frame revolver though.

(Allegheny County)

Having shot a few Pythons, I would say take the Python if you are not going to carry. It's worth the "not finding parts" risk, and it oozes quality. I have yet to find a revolver as smooth, although I am constantly in search!

I have not tried the TRP, but I own the Loaded, and it is an excellent range gun.
    Stay frosty....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast