Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Storing a gun loaded w/kids in the house

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    I don't think anyone was relying on heavy trigger pull or endorsing others do the same. A few people just pointed out it was an added benefit of certain types of firearms.

It's pretty impressive how quickly some of you guys blow things out of proportion to go ape shit and attack something. Maybe you should buy a stress ball or something.

Obviously a safely locked and unloaded firearm is the safest and only safe firearm.
    To even suggest a certain gun because you think a 3yo won't be able to pull the trigger is just about the dumbest thing I ever heard, not directed at you BTW.

And beleive me I have been through a recent experiance and just the thought of what some say just blows my fucking mind.

Keeping a gun out of the hands of young children is the only way to prevent an accident and I don't care what measures you take to do it but I highly suggest you do.

(Centre County)

Exclamation Re: Storing a gun loaded w/kids in the house

I don't wanna give the impression that I feel that a child couldn't, under any circumstances, manipulate a revolver trigger because of it's increased weight of pull compared to a SA trigger. I think Orive 8, rwb1500, and camper, among others, have a valid point that no gun should be left within a childs grasp, wheather it be a BB gun or a full auto whatever. I felt (in my post) that compared to a G17 trigger, which I feel is easier to manipulate than my revolver triggers, a revolver may be more safe than said G17. I don't leave my Gp100 mixed in with my kids Legos, I don't put my 442 on the high shelf cause I feel my kids might not be able to get it, I don't leave my M&P unlocked next to my bed in case my kids get up earlier than me.

The main reason I carry is to protect my kids and wife, wheather I have to give up my own life to do it or spend the rest of it with the general population in some shit-hole prision. My apologies to ANYONE who felt I feel ANY loaded gun should be accessable to a child UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! I pride myself in my firearm safety because of my kids and will be more careful in my wording in future posts.

Again, sorry for my laziness................
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Philadelphia County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/309...ting-self.html

There is no such thing a a child proof gun.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    To even suggest a certain gun because you think a 3yo won't be able to pull the trigger is just about the dumbest thing I ever heard, not directed at you BTW.

And beleive me I have been through a recent experiance and just the thought of what some say just blows my fucking mind.

Keeping a gun out of the hands of young children is the only way to prevent an accident and I don't care what measures you take to do it but I highly suggest you do.
    I really don't think anyone's actually suggesting or believes that a gun is child proof. I think there's just been a poor choice of words. It's an internet forum and most posters kind of gloss over what they're saying and how it may be perceived by others.

I suggested and use a revolver for an overnight gun because of the trigger pull versus my Glock 19. This is because I am more confident in my own ability to handle without ND a firearm with a heavier trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    I hear those biometric safes are slow to open and unreliable, do you have one, if so, do you like it?

I think which nightstand gun came up because it is possible a kid could "guess" the correct code to a gunvault. So that being the case are you better off not chambering a round, using a revo with a longer/heavier trigger pull than an auto, or just trusting the odds are too low for them to get in.
    Well, no, but I'm going to find out soon enough. Its on the purchase list. I'm comfortable spending an extra second or two getting into my gunvault if it means that it will deny access to anyone who isn't me. I don't have little kids in my house, but I do have overcurious roomates. There is a lock on the door to my room, rifle cases with multiple combo locks and a combo mini safe right now. Looking to change things over to the Gunvault to speed up the entry time a bit and eliminate the possibility of me leaving the combo only one or two digits off and them getting in. However slow the biometric safe is, it shoulf be a deal faster than what I'm dealing with now. Just as a disclaimer. That doesn't mean that I have to fuck with the combo to get at a gun in the middle of the night. I have an HK on my nighttable, but it goes back into the minisafe, or on my belt when I'm leaving the room.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    The fact that it requires a fingerprint should keep anyone whose fingerprint isn't stored in the GunVault's memory out of the safe alltogether.
    Yeah, that's the theory. But I've seen it demonstrated that if you open it with greasy/dirty fingers, like maybe some gun lube on them, the fingerprint stays there. Then if someone presses it with a smoothe object, like gloved hands, or even a piece of paper, it opens.

Also, I've personally tried lifting a finger print off a glass with a piece of tape, photocopying and darkening it, and then using that to log into a computer with a biometric scanner.

Personally, I opted for a V-Line safe. Mechanical push button, no electronics to fail, no keys to lose or to be found by anyone. Programmable 5 button code that you can set for multi combinations (for example, press 1-3 at same time, then 2).

(Lawrence County)

My girls are 4 and 7, both know they never touch guns, ever... My 1911 sits on the shelf of the nightstand, condition 1, and I have no problems with it feeding after the break in period was over (500 rounds). My buddy Bob bought a very nice Para and he said it was worthless until about 500 rounds. Mine had some hiccups the first 100 rounds, but after a good cleaning, it has ran perfectly. Lycan thinks there was just a tiny burr in the barrel that is now gone... lol

I keep the shotgun next to the bed as well, my girls can't hold it because of the weight, but they also can't rack the slide.

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Bucks County)

I am not sure when we went from Leaving the rifles in the corner of the living room to storing them on a rack on the wall to glass doored Cabinets to now needing Safes with Biometrics. I hope you all hide the keys to your cars and lock up the steak knives. Maybe people should get off of the computer, stop talking on the cell phones, turn off the TV and start paying attention to their children.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    I am not sure when we went from Leaving the rifles in the corner of the living room to storing them on a rack on the wall to glass doored Cabinets to now needing Safes with Biometrics. I hope you all hide the keys to your cars and lock up the steak knives. Maybe people should get off of the computer, stop talking on the cell phones, turn off the TV and start paying attention to their children.
    Idk, shortly after Andy Griffith went off the air? When we started using seatbelts? When it wasn't acceptable to calm a woman down by slapping them in the face? Columbine? Take your pick. Some people still leave them in a corner in the living room. We all run our own households and decide what works and is appropriate for us and what our kids can handle, just sharing ideas here.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    Idk, shortly after Andy Griffith went off the air? When we started using seatbelts? When it wasn't acceptable to calm a woman down by slapping them in the face? Columbine? Take your pick. Some people still leave them in a corner in the living room. We all run our own households and decide what works and is appropriate for us and what our kids can handle, just sharing ideas here.
    I am just trying to add a little different perspective in a world that would have us all walking around with Helmets and diapers on.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast